Trading the stockmarket (NO Referrals)

First Group continue to batter out fantastic returns for me and the constant talk of takeovers etc seems to be helping...

I'm just a hair short of 200% profit since I bought them September 2020.

Also Kodal Minerals up 58% this year for me.

One dog in there - Had a very small dabble with ARGO blockchain but looking like a dead duck just now

Rest of my holding are generally just various funds in my pension - Just left most of them alone for last 12/18 months - not chasing markets etc.

Hoping that at some point SMT finally gets the finger out and starts some kind of recovery!! :cry:

I took a small gamble on first republic on the chance of a slim recovery. That didn't pay off.

The pacwest one has. But I was more confident and put a bit more in that one.

How much are people paying per trade with their broker? I have an H&L account but wondering what other people are using?

H&L is £11.95 a trade...
Halifax, US trades are free, not bought UK shares in a while tbh so not sure but used to be over a fiver a transaction iirc.

Inflation down again in the states, and the stock market seem to be betting on the fed pausing rate hikes. S & P 500's gone right up last couple of days.
Yeah. UK is a mess. Don't think Europe is doing too well in general.

Brexit must hurt the euro block too

Last edited:
I think if I was young I'd be all in the S & P, but it's too much of a wild ride for me now.

Its what I'm gradually going too. Can't be bothered chasing individual stocks now. It's too much time checking news etc.

I'll still keep some. Especially obviously opportunities. But the work isn't worth it.

Its what I'm gradually going too. Can't be bothered chasing individual stocks now. It's too much time checking news etc.

I'll still keep some. Especially obviously opportunities. But the work isn't worth it.

You should not be reading news, you should read quarterly statements and things they publish, you've already selected the company, now you simply monitor to see that nothing has fundamentally changed, revenues are not decreasing randomly etc.

Lets say 1 hour per company per year.

How much are people paying per trade with their broker? I have an H&L account but wondering what other people are using?

H&L is £11.95 a trade...

The trade cost is higher, however, trade as little as possible, stay away from funds as the fee is not capped.

If you buy vanguard etf's on H&L the cost will end up being lower on H&l than using the vanguard platform eventually, trading infrequently as possible.

Last edited:
The trade cost is higher, however, trade as little as possible, stay away from funds as the fee is not capped.

If you buy vanguard etf's on H&L the cost will end up being lower on H&l than using the vanguard platform eventually, trading infrequently as possible.

I buy my tracker funds on H&L - the fee %'s are so low, its not worth worrying about for me :) (or clearly I'm being ripped off and I dont know :D)

Last edited:
my Vuke has gone ex dividend again so Vanguard charge 0.09% but it pays 4.25% dividends on top of any capital gain so fees tiny, trades are free or live trade £7.50 iirc ,it has maybe looked very uninspiring but its shored up my funds when the usa has tanked

Back
Top Bottom