Trading the stockmarket (NO Referrals)

MongoDB smashed it then. Happy days

Wish I had invested in mongo when I was looking at them half what they are now! :D

I'm basically giving up on UK shares. They do nothing overall. While. I've seen USA shares, especially tech, rocket the last 6-12 months

I did dive into pacwest which are up 30pc. So at least that was good. And bought some ********* after they dropped on thier results.

But my UK shares have been naff. Only AV has really been decent. But only due to the dividend. With inflation here to stay I have lost patience, time to invest elsewhere.

But my UK shares have been naff. Only AV has really been decent. But only due to the dividend. With inflation here to stay I have lost patience, time to invest elsewhere.
Not exactly new news that UK stocks are crap for growth. Steady eddy Divi stocks maybe.

Lucid took a battering on news of fund raising diluting the stock. Still holding em long term.

Got stock offering at work coming up so probably chuck a fair bit in there.

I swear the start of this year they were saying UK FTSE outperformance like tons. Commodities will have their day, gas fell back tons and oil is down some but imo London isnt going to do too badly. Tech is so expensive, is it really going to justify performance not in the next year it wont return money right away a lot of its hope, some will be not found correct.

I swear the start of this year they were saying UK FTSE outperformance like tons. Commodities will have their day, gas fell back tons and oil is down some but imo London isnt going to do too badly. Tech is so expensive, is it really going to justify performance not in the next year it wont return money right away a lot of its hope, some will be not found correct.

Only UK shares I'm keeping are my big AV dividend holding (although with savings rates nearly at 6 percent that dividend isn't looking so lucrative)
I'm also keeping persimmon and easyjet.

Looks like persimmon will take longer than I hoped to recover. But easyjet I feel has legs sooner.
Basically those two are bombed out and I hope for a recovery!

Last edited:
Quick question

I have a couple of dividend paying shares from USA. Am I right in thinking I get 15pc tax on the div? Ie. If the div was 100 dollars I'd receive 85?
And there's nothing I have to do? I believe a USA-UK pact drops the standard 30 to 15pc?

Also. Are there any apps or services that allow you to track when divs get paid? I have enough div paying stocks that a calendar would be interesting

Also. Are there any apps or services that allow you to track when divs get paid? I have enough div paying stocks that a calendar would be interesting
Probably there is tons at a price, I used to have live level 2 data for free on one site. I dont know thats available anywhere easily or not now. This is an old one I used to check, looks to have been rebranded.
https://www.sharecast.com/company_diary So this shows final ex-div for WPP this Thurs

Not sure about active reminders, quite a few companies will put you on an email list or RNS etc. Morningstar used to send email events if you asked on each share, not sure now who would do this

Why does Genl pay such a large div, is it because of many disagreements with KRG

Quick question

I have a couple of dividend paying shares from USA. Am I right in thinking I get 15pc tax on the div? Ie. If the div was 100 dollars I'd receive 85?
And there's nothing I have to do? I believe a USA-UK pact drops the standard 30 to 15pc?

There is a free app called stock events which i use to track dividends

Quick question

I have a free account at DividendMax and get weekly emails :)

Wish I had invested in mongo when I was looking at them half what they are now! :D

I'm basically giving up on UK shares. They do nothing overall. While. I've seen USA shares, especially tech, rocket the last 6-12 months

I did dive into pacwest which are up 30pc. So at least that was good. And bought some ********* after they dropped on thier results.

I am up on my vuke (ftse etf) but tbh if it wasn't for the dividends it would be a pretty naf return ,vwrl (ftse all world) is overtaking but lesser dividends , anyway at least i baled out of life strategy 20 percent equity early on , recommended by advisor and a total dog

Last edited:
I am up on my vuke (ftse etf) but tbh if it wasn't for the dividends it would be a pretty naf return ,vwrl (ftse all world) is overtaking but lesser dividends , anyway at least i baled out of life strategy 20 percent equity early on , recommended by advisor and a total dog
Even if I was 80 years old I wouldn't be in LS 20. 60/40 would be my absolute minimum. I've only just gone 80/20 as I'm retired, but I still have a chunk in the S n P 500. Got to make that money work. Your FA was taking the ****.

Even if I was 80 years old I wouldn't be in LS 20. 60/40 would be my absolute minimum. I've only just gone 80/20 as I'm retired, but I still have a chunk in the S n P 500. Got to make that money work. Your FA was taking the ****.

i know, i got out at over £200 its £150 ish now, they still have it listed as a very very safe bet

edit/ screenshot evidence always available on request in this thread

Last edited:
I'm now regretting not being in USA stocks enough.
Been on a shift from UK to USA stocks of late.
Bought into CCL, PACW, SNOW, MPW

Up 25, 50, 11, 0% on these.

Carnival (CCL) is up 15pc today alone
MPW is a dividend play, so not so concerned about its 0 growth.

Meanwhile my UK stocks languish flat. I know this is only a small snapshot of time. But our lengthy inflation period doesn't look like ending. Probably going to pull more and more away from UK.

Last edited:
First Group continue to batter out fantastic returns for me and the constant talk of takeovers etc seems to be helping...

I'm just a hair short of 200% profit since I bought them September 2020.

Also Kodal Minerals up 58% this year for me.

One dog in there - Had a very small dabble with ARGO blockchain but looking like a dead duck just now

Rest of my holding are generally just various funds in my pension - Just left most of them alone for last 12/18 months - not chasing markets etc.

Hoping that at some point SMT finally gets the finger out and starts some kind of recovery!! :cry:

Back
Top Bottom