Trading the stockmarket (NO Referrals)

Soldato
Taking a pause on my investments i pulled pretty much everything out early last week ,its not that i dont think they are going to do well anymore its the fact i want to convert the roof space in to living space very soon so its not long term money so not really suitable.
Think vanguard are paying 2.5% on the cash
anyway i may get back in on more of a hobby basis, human nature is such that i will be watching my old funds rise and thinking what i could have made (i made a profit but under 10k)

Soldato
Premium bond returns are raised to 4.65% from next month. Its also tax free I think

Out of curiosity has anyone been buying bonds lately? I personally have gone long in VEMT (Vanguard etf https://www.hl.co.uk/shares/shares-search-results/v/vanguard-funds-plc-usd-emerging-mkts-govt)

Wanting to lock in a good yield in advance of interest rate drops, whenever that may be.
Is the yield paid separately, I need to have that on the chart to compare performance but I have something similar sounding with ninety one. I think emerging markets has a different dynamic

SMT - https://www.barrons.com/articles/spacex-moderna-bytedance-discount-c568323c?siteid=yhoof2
17% discount, a victim of their success, people want to withdraw their profits from the bulk of gains. Not sure I'd want Spacex

We all own SMT via FT100 I presume

Associate
Premium bond returns are raised to 4.65% from next month. Its also tax free I think

Is the yield paid separately, I need to have that on the chart to compare performance but I have something similar sounding with ninety one. I think emerging markets has a different dynamic

SMT - https://www.barrons.com/articles/spacex-moderna-bytedance-discount-c568323c?siteid=yhoof2
17% discount, a victim of their success, people want to withdraw their profits from the bulk of gains. Not sure I'd want Spacex

We all own SMT via FT100 I presume
Yes , a dividend gets paid monthly into my Barclays investment account

Soldato
Glad I am watching from the sidelines now I would have sunk a fair few k had I not pulled out.
Relief rally can't be far off can it ?
Edit/ also retail sales go up and the market goes down fretting about inflation,retail sales drop and again the markets go down ,what's all that about?

Last edited:
Soldato
Just because everyone here is fairly financially savvy. I'm in the process of selling my home in the UK and moving to Spain. The sale is expected to go through the 29th September. However we won't be buying a house until we find something we like. Having never had to think about sums of money at this level before (~£140k) i'm trying to create a plan.

I know i need to split the funds up between banks (not different banks in the same group) to get the FSCS protection. However i'm trying to decide what to do about the conversion.

The sensible part of me thinks that the GBP/EUR pairing is at a recent high at the moment, and so just converting the full lot straight away makes sense - It also removes risk of trying to time FX movements. Problem being that it's not as easy to open multiple accounts in Spain to hold the funds. They also don't offer favourable saving rates that are available in the UK

So part of me then thinks to keep the money in CHIP/CHASE accounts in GBP earning ~5% until we need it which would earn around £500/mth, but then the FX rates might drop, however they might also continue to increase. I did look into forward contracts but nothing really made sense for what is likely a maximum period of 6 months.

Third option would be to do a mixture of the above. Send half of it straight away and then leave the rest in a GBP savings account. That removes the hassle of opening multiple Spanish bank accounts as i'd only need the one.

I'm erring towards the third option. It gives a reasonable mix of risk aversion and safety whilst also minimising the financial impact of any FX drops.

Any thoughts?

Last edited:
Soldato
My biggest positions are Nvidia and Tesla and i'm holding long term, Nvidia earnings tomorrow. I do believe Nvidia and Tesla have large growth runways ahead of them.

I have been dollar cost averaging in Berkshire Hathaway this year however, all my dividends from other stocks keep going to purchase more Berkshire class B. Although I hold quite a bit of tech, I do keep a barbell approach and also have shares in housing, oil, utilities, drugs companies and so on. I do believe in diversity and managing risk. The other tip i'll give for shares is stay away from the crowd, and make your own choices. Use sell off's as a time to deploy cash. Second most important thing however is compounding.

Last edited:
Soldato
Nivida after-hours earning results could see some action. Can't see the recent market rally being maintained with the current economic outlook. Everyone and their dog seems to be betting on Nivida and its propping up the Nasdaq.

Last edited:
Soldato
Question....
Can I use the loses from one trading platform to offset capital gains taxes from another platform?

I currently have three stocks and shares platform, 1 with work... 1 with trading 121 and 1 with vanguard.
Say I make some gains with the one from work, but made a lost with the trading 121 platform... can I add/report the loses so it gives me more capitial gains tax allowance?

Thanks...

SPG

SPG

Soldato
Yes, the platform is irrelevant the limit is the limit from any source. Just makes the paperwork slightly more complicated.

Caporegime
Yay. Nvidia.

An incredibly rare day of green today. Done terrible last few months.

IonQ doing well too

Even my PBR is up a chunk.

Last edited:
Soldato
Nvidia looks like a bubble to me. P/e ratio is ludicrous really.
I always think that and I miss the gains :o What was CSCO P/E in the 90's when owning of $1,000 stock ended up worth a million in that decade. Is Nvidia really this transformative, could AI improve in even a small way every transaction and utility that companies are involved with. If its really a widespread revolution ongoing, worldwide and delivers efficiency then sure bonkers valuation is in order I guess, even while we're guessing how it will happen beyond the horizon.

Chart wise I cant see its a must sell but thats if 380 to 400 area is the higher low. That must develop (add volume positively) or I guess it can halve if this large move fails and we appear in any way weaker relative to 2021 peak.

NVDA $500 in after hours
. I have to own this stuff via a Fund and let them do the research, hard to judge. This is a tech forum so is AI reallly going to be a decade long theme for development etc.

Anyhow if NVDA is going up it seems to help the entire market to be more positive, maybe its just a reflection of hype

Back
Top Bottom