Trading the stockmarket (NO Referrals)

Well it looks like using CNR to recover some of my early year losses is going to plan for once!

I just wish i would invest in those shares i add to my watch list, i usually pick good uns but do nowt about it and get left with the lame ducks. GRR!
Mate I'm the same - BEM for example. I had that on watch at about 12p :D

Long recovering. They're doing ok as a business in their sector but the price surged amidst T/O talks and has basically fallen to just above what it was prior to that.

Their share price doubled in January (because of the speculation) so they may be worth a punt. They're certainly not going under so even if the short trade fails they'll recover over time.

Mouchel plunges as it rejects takeover offers http://tgr.ph/gnuuxK

Takeover offer can be a fair guidance to value sometimes. Tullow turned one down before eventually getting bought up.
Heritage turned one down I think, its quite common for companies to refuse and then some time after be valued higher.
That is the standing for the refusal I would guess, its not a good enough offer.
Enough reason to take interest on the lower price I'd say

BP plunging back down, topped up a bit just before they did so \o/
461p is an old buy level I have, recovered a bit from there today

ace investor neil woodford says bp and shell both suck, they spend too much on exploring apparently

I can think of worse things to own. ex div 5th may

Caza didnt take off, they hit the end of the run way. Continue to drift down but I dont mind so long as they have more or less stabilised

Was looking at VGM again, that stupid 50:1 share swap messes my chart up. 2.39 old price is a decent level for a couple reason which equates to not far off this price.
Didnt buy anymore, looking for nearer to 110 and need to read if anything drastically wrong

Dollar worth trundles upwards and so gold pulls back down which hurts expensive mines like VGM. So I reckon I'll see my price hopefully

GPX is near a target buy price for me. Not sure of particular news except Iraqi troubles. PE of 14?

Now I remember they are into Syria a lot and the entire government just got sacked by the premier/despot who is an ex London GP believe it or not

Bought back some more GKP today because the recent selling has been low volume and theres a good enough chance they could see another spike up again. That'd fit with their continuing exploration despite various regional troubles

Last edited:
Domino's took a hit today after posting lower than expected profits (albeit still profit). Some crazy surgers too - China Shoto and Deltex Medical. It's those kind of stocks that makes hindsight the **** it is :p.

I'm sure most people know of it here but I'd implore any newcomers to use www.advfn.com. It's free but gives realtime prices, rather than the 10/15 minute delayed ones you see on LSE/iii/Google etc.

Sold out of ORE today also, simply because a) it's on the way back down b) I still got out with 9% profit and c) I'm wanting to sell all my stocks while I read the Naked Trader anyway :). Again, thanks for the initial tip!

£10,200 is the limit for the cash INTO an ISA for this tax year. You can sell shares and have 20k and then reinvest the cash in more shares as long as the money doesn't leave the 'cash account' part of the ISA.

I'm hoping to exit RRL shortly and get back in via my ISA allowance that's left for this year.

Which self select ISAs would you recommend?

Which self select ISAs would you recommend?

I only have experience of HSBC, however I was looking on my Halifax reward account demos last night and their account looks ok.

Thing with HSBC is that you get the buffer of the settlement account. So whilst it takes 3 days to get the cash into your current account from a trade, you immediately see the value in your settlement account.

This is useful - For example, I sold RRL from my normal account and could immediately buy them back in an ISA with less risk of a higher re-entry point than if I had to wait 3 days.

It's basic in terms of tools etc, but it's very easy to use and suits my needs

I find the whole S&S and equity ISA options quite overloading and confusing. I'm looking for somewhere that explains most of it, risks, limitations etc, and provides a comparison of the offerings from different institutions. I could sit down with my bank and let them sell me their offering, but I'd rather take a wider view.

I find the whole S&S and equity ISA options quite overloading and confusing. I'm looking for somewhere that explains most of it, risks, limitations etc, and provides a comparison of the offerings from different institutions. I could sit down with my bank and let them sell me their offering, but I'd rather take a wider view.

Its not really that complex. In the S&S part, you can invest in LSE traded equities, and gilts/bonds as long as they redeem in >5 years. You are exempt from all CGT.

Looks like GVC is about to breach 130p... is anyone else still in this one?

10 cents per share dividend also due in May, Ex Div in a few weeks.

So whilst it takes 3 days to get the cash into your current account from a trade

Halifax does that, you cant take the money out but you can recycle it right that minute. Ive been told iii has a stock isa thats easy to use, simple and cheap if thats what you want

Lows of Caza have hit the lowest price for it not to break the overall gains in the share. Any more and it'll be a failed /false move like vgm.
Even if it does that the trend from lows of 2010 would make lows of 25p now fairly realistic.
I guess anything is possible when a stock goes from 5p to 66p in 4 months, it can and does sometimes completely reverse

VGM is spending 1400 dollars for every ounce of gold they mine :eek: That is shocking no wonder people are running for the hills.
Long term I do think they'll make it (some of costs are development) but obviously I messed up buying this share too early, I did not gauge sentiment well. Selling was justified

BP criminal charges loom, I see the share price is drifting not crashing lower. Im not seeing higher vol but my platform sucks.
Good paid for data /graphs if you are handling a lot of cash is a good investment

View Post
I find the whole S&S and equity ISA options quite overloading and confusing.
ISA stocks must listed on a main exchange. Aim isnt one

But some aim stocks are listed on TSX or ASX like RRL is and that means they can be in an ISA and free from capital gains tax which is useful when it goes up 300%. The gain has to be over 10k or so per year to be taxed

RRL is drifting, no pressure for the next 4 weeks. Short term negative

CNR is on a bit of a ramp. 8.6 is 5 day average price. 8.2 and 7.2 (highs of mid Jan) if it falls off

Last edited:
If I've just opened an ISA, can I put £10.2k into this today, and then open another ISA from 1 April and deposit another £10.2k (ie in the next tax year)? The wording of the ISA limit seems to differ from bank to bank so just clarifying.

Back
Top Bottom