Trading the stockmarket (NO Referrals)

Soldato
really? I bought at 450pence expecting a steady performance and have been shocked by the increase since last summer.

Well I've only been in for the past two months so can't comment on anything prior, but they and all the other major REITs have been posting nothing but good news for the past year+, as have all their major clients.

Soldato
Care to share your thoughts? I notice you have been in and out of these before, so would know more than me. I will obviously do my own research.

Sorry I missed this pots.

If you look at the charts it bounces between 270 and 335 based on nothing more then market sentiment.

I do not believe for a moment that Greece will be allowed to default on its loans but when ever there is talk of default BARC along with the other banks all get pushed down until the market sentiment is better a week later :D

I also feel the bank is probably under valued, It trades at 0.78x 2011 tangible book value, Lloyds is at 0.99x and RBS at 0.82x.

I bought in at 287, then more at 275 and more again yesterday at 271. I generally feel that if they do go down in the short term the will go back up with time, because I am now investing money I can not afford to loose and I am playing with some rather large numbers (product of the sale of 2 houses) I do not want to risk the money in AIM's or small cap stocks.

Soldato
Funny that Lloyds would value best of the three though I agree, its mostly just a play on debt vs housing worth but RBS and BARC/Lehmans is way more complicated.
Whats the ratio for BNC and STAN, I own far more of them but they also pay a proper div

The big caps are supposed to be safer in theory. Because they are traded so much, they are usually less eratic except even the massive commodity companies can move 10% in a day at times but hopefully thats more up then down

Spotted this offer at Halifax, seems reasonable:
yYKJJ.jpg

From what I know this would be best done if you deal in sizes of about 10,000 per trade or like buying or selling the FTSE. They are basically giving you back your dealing costs on 10 trades.

Theres another normal share broker who deal for 1 quid a trade for your first 30 days. I forgotten their name though lol :o

Looking over EMED I decided it was more of nasty looking scab then fatally wounded by anything, oversold on lower volume I think

Ngg5s.gif

So bought some Emed and also a bit of RRL and of course CNR - not sure when thats going to rise though

Last edited:
Associate
Silversurfer, what is your average buy price on EMED at?

I started trading stocks a few months back, picked 2 AIM shares and 6 main market. Chose EMED because of Naked Trader, Proactive investors and ADVFN forum posts. Now feel I made a big mistake buying at 16.10p, but upon closer inspection it seems nothing much has changed from when it was 19p if anything the recent news was positive.

I was torn between cutting my losses (about 35-40% [ouch!]) or doubling my holding to bring my average down. Lukily, 5 of the 8 shares I picked are up nicely so covers the losses on EMED but anyway, not buying AIM shares for a while I think, much too volatile.

Soldato
The big caps are supposed to be safer in theory. Because they are traded so much, they are usually less eratic except even the massive commodity companies can move 10% in a day at times but hopefully thats more up then down

Yep, I did trade a lot in DES, RIO, KAZ and VED. The problem is they can go down 40% in a few weeks and I just cant risk that at the moment and I think the miners are due a big correction again soon.

Soldato
KAZ and VED I think are cheap. But really I could spend a week working out if that true or not just on current figures nevermind estimates for 2012.

I think any blip down will be more brief then 2008/09, I hope I catch it if it happens (I do intend to lighten up now generally if possible) Shame the flash crash happened after FTSE closed for the day.

Big correction is a negative so long as you believe USA and Washington is the centre of the world. Commodities actually rely on world growth not a country with 14 trillion of debt and a lot of face value.
If I believed China and India were going into recession I'd stay clear of copper, etc, generally I see us on a very rocky path up and most of all dollars are overvalued, overused and not useful to own

Silversurfer, what is your average buy price on EMED at?

I started trading stocks a few months back, picked 2 AIM shares and 6 main market. Chose EMED because of Naked Trader, Proactive investors and ADVFN forum posts. Now feel I made a big mistake buying at 16.10p,

I bought shares in March for 15.9p and also have a trade position with a buy of 12.87p
So altogether that makes my average buy at 14.2p and its 1.1% of my total holdings

I didnt expect them to fall so low again but this price isnt as negative as it could be. This level is just the flat boring rise that matches 2010 and the reversal links to the news of delay on their copper mine

So the market feels betrayed, its been promised good news and its not happened. So we get an overreaction, I think this can be said to be that.
I believe NT has sold now, that is what traders do - personally I hate the idea of stop loss on price alone

The question to ask is would you buy now as a new buyer and I would, so I cant sell just because it fell besides a cheap price I dont see an extra negative over last December. Maybe I missed the news
confusedsmiley013.gif

It'll be 2 or 3 years before theres a set of accounts with copper sold, profit made, company value nicely increased.
Till then its debt, bills, fund raising and speculation and most of my money is with big caps same as Mr House

Last edited:
Soldato
Well I am certainly not trading the stock market like you guys but I have some shares via my company share save scheme and they are doing very well at the moment. Still have another year to go before I can get them but brought them at 27p and currently sitting at £1.405 so a nice healthy profit there. :)

My question is do I have to pay capital gains tax on the money i get from them once I cash them in. At current value I am looking at 19K.

Soldato
You can transfer them into a Stocks and share ISA

afaik that still counts as a disposal and you will still be liable for cgt.
only shares purchased INSIDE an isa wrapper are free from cgt.

a company share scheme may be subject to a lower level of cgt though - you should check with the company.

Soldato
Crnd looks like it might be heading back up...closed at +43%. Next few days should be interesting. :)

http://www.iii.co.uk/articles/15513/central-rand-gold-soars-south-african-agreement

Central Rand Gold (CRND) saw its shares go flying on Thursday after it announced the South African Department of Water Affairs (DWA) would help with flooding issues in the Central Rand Goldfield.

The AIM-listed firm said it had held four meetings with the DWA and subsequently the South African National Treasury has agreed to commit $32 million (£19.8 million) for the implementation of a solution to the acid mine drainage (AMD) problem.

Shares in the company shot up more than 56% as investors were cheered by the news. Back in February the gold miner saw shares fall by almost 50% after it issued a statement doubting its survival if the South African government refused to help.

Central Rand said the DWA had agreed to take the lead role in co-ordinating the design and implementation of the interim solution. The DWA is now in commercial discussions with various suppliers to acquire technical engineering designs for the refurbishment of the High Density Sludge plant and the submersible pump station, which will be used for the project.

The firm said it welcomed the discussions with the DWA and their commitment in resolving the rising AMD problem in the central basin. But it cautioned that until final engineering designs were available for the project, the commencement date remained uncertain. It said it would maintain its focus on cash preservation measures and at the end of April had cash and near cash resources worth approximately $7 million.

Back in February Central Rand said it had already ordered submersible pumps at a cost of $4 million. It estimated the project to lift 72 megalitres of AMD per day and treat it would cost $26 million.

It was keen for the construction of the submersible pump station to get underway before the end of the first quarter as heavy rains and flooding in the Gauteng province had exacerbated the AMD issue and accelerated the rise of the water table.

It warned that without clear commitment to the project by other parties, it faced the prospect of inaccessibility to its reserves below 250 mbs.

In the first quarter of 2011 the firm said 3,026 ounces of gold were produced. An overall 94% gold recovery was achieved on underground sulphide ore in March as opposed to the typical 75% recovery on surface oxides.

Soldato
afaik that still counts as a disposal and you will still be liable for cgt.
only shares purchased INSIDE an isa wrapper are free from cgt.

a company share scheme may be subject to a lower level of cgt though - you should check with the company.

If the shares are held in an AESOP scheme, they are exempt from CGT if you keep them for the qualifying period (generally 5 years). Once the 5 years are up you can transfer them out and then into an ISA free of CGT.

Soldato
If the shares are held in an AESOP scheme, they are exempt from CGT if you keep them for the qualifying period (generally 5 years). Once the 5 years are up you can transfer them out and then into an ISA free of CGT.

ahhh, i thought there might be something like that - i think the guy should probably contact hmrc as it looks like a complicated area.

Back
Top Bottom