Trading the stockmarket (NO Referrals)

Soldato
Anyone agree with Silver needing to be 1/16th of the price of gold ?

That relates back to the (original) USA constitution, the discussion on this can go on forever but my take is dont believe the hype.

Whats more likely that Obama loses his next election or that they continue to spend way too much until the countrys currency is worthless.

To me its all about the weakest link and Im sure Obama is a charming guy but he aint made to be a strong leader in hard times and so since 2008 Ive expected him to lose. Maybe not his fault but tough luck and that relates to your question in that, no I dont think a reversion of 200 years back to silver and gold bimontarary system is likely.

Warren buffet bought mastercard recently and I think thats quite savvy as the speed of transactions and the redundancy of plain slow cash is increasingly likely. (ie. high inflation)

The obliteration of all money in favour gold silver copper is best left to red necks, tea partys guys and mad max enthusiasts

There is a very long thread on gold in speakers corner and I posted a vid about buying bread with crumbs of gold in Zimbabwe

The banks will likely gain from inflation. EU is not printing money hence the troubles are more stark. Right now lots of quality companies are cheap also, most banks are this low with good reason

Soldato
It wont because its well justified. Gold is still priced fairly, I will definitely sell sometime but only when I have something better to hold

If gold price was not good to stay high for years I would not have bothered buying all these explorers who are years away from actually producing

We need to see a delisting of dollars special status first. 300 million people who dont export nearly enough are going to suffer a much lower value to their currency, a bit like we got blitzed in 2008 exchange rate falls. Sell at that point imo

The gold adjusted price from 1980 is like 2200 dollars, so it has not yet recovered its peak. Its not cheap now but its in demand by central banks so why would it be

Soldato
Wonder when the gold bubble will burst?

Fun stuff, this stockmarket lark. :p

you'll have to wait until its actually in a bubble then :p

gold is no way near bubble prices. some people seem to think gold is in a bubble because the price has gone up a lot - thats not what a bubble is (i remember people saying gold was in a bubble at $700 - lol, the fools :p).

Caporegime

gold is no way near bubble prices. some people seem to think gold is in a bubble because the price has gone up a lot - thats not what a bubble is (i remember people saying gold was in a bubble at $700 - lol, the fools :p).

Didn't they say the same thing about shares in IT companys?

It wont because its well justified. Gold is still priced fairly, I will definitely sell sometime but only when I have something better to hold

If gold price was not good to stay high for years I would not have bothered buying all these explorers who are years away from actually producing

We need to see a delisting of dollars special status first. 300 million people who dont export nearly enough are going to suffer a much lower value to their currency, a bit like we got blitzed in 2008 exchange rate falls. Sell at that point imo

The gold adjusted price from 1980 is like 2200 dollars, so it has not yet recovered its peak. Its not cheap now but its in demand by central banks so why would it be

What's your best guess as to the peak price?

Soldato

That's fair enough. Were you in at $700? If so... :eek::D:cool:

Soldato
These days, and not without some reluctance originally, I tend to side with those who think gold is more of a currency than anything else. It's not going up purely because of speculation (though there will be a fairly big speculative component), it's that massive money printing is devaluing most currencies as economies race to the bottom in order to suppress imports and try to promote exports.

It's not a race anyone wins.

What puzzles me is why we bother with individual markets any more. They all follow each other in lock step... which is a sign of the scale of the problem. The world economy used to be resilient because regional trade could be relied on to produce growth somewhere even if individual nations went into recession. Now if one part of the world suffers, we all suffer. Hence the insane efforts having to be made to keep things on the rails.

The stupid thing is that if massive defaults had been agreed in 2008/9 things would have been horrendous, but by now we'd probably be slowly building from a solid base, not staggering from one crisis to the next.

I'd love to live another 50 years to be able to read the books written about this period. But if I do live that long I'll be too busy dribbling and staring out of a care home window to do much reading.

Last edited:
Soldato
Didn't they say the same thing about shares in IT companys?

What's your best guess as to the peak price?

nope, stocks were clearly over valued and pumped up in price by hype alone with no fundamental earning capacity to back it up.

That's fair enough. Were you in at $700? If so... :eek::D:cool:

started looking at $500 - only had the balls to jump in at about $640.

Soldato
Another 50 years of boom and bust, no doubt.

started looking at $500 - only had the balls to jump in at about $640.

Nice. :D

Always money to be made, even in a falling market, eh!

I've been reading about what constitutes as a bubble and it appears you're right. Surely all safe-havens do not last forever though?

I guess that's why people are looking at silver, platinum etc trying to be one step ahead of the game.

Don't think I'll ever 'trade' any time soon, seems like you really need to do it full-time.

Last edited:
Soldato
so how is that different to gold at any price then?

because golds value is that its a currency, and its a safe currency with no counter party risk.
it may seem irrational and it may seem ridiculous or even stupid, and you may not like it, but to the people that matter in the world gold is and always has been a currency and a safety net of value, and the ultimate financial insurance. it will continue to be that long after we are all dead.

Soldato
boom and bust is ok, you just have to make sure you see the boom for what it is.

thats the problem - it wasn't a real boom in the first place. it was a fake one bought with debt. well, now the debt is coming back to bite us on the arse!
all the damage was done years ago, now we just have to live with it.

Soldato
because golds value is that its a currency, and its a safe currency with no counter party risk.
it may seem irrational and it may seem ridiculous or even stupid, and you may not like it, but to the people that matter in the world gold is and always has been a currency and a safety net of value, and the ultimate financial insurance. it will continue to be that long after we are all dead.

whether or not I like anything is irrelevant.

the fact is that the value of gold is from perception rather than use.

Where are the past civilisations that valued gold?

Logic tells me that gold is a false haven, too many little people are involved.

Back
Top Bottom