Trading the stockmarket (NO Referrals)

Soldato
while the sheep were selling

I fell asleep on that one

I did notice it drop below 3p and think nows the time, but its slow to bottom out and its never really obvious when to buy

Even on the day there was an opportunity to buy, Im not upto speed on them but I notice one company is offering me a quote on them now so I will draw up a chart and whatever.
Is there any further date or schedule for them

Dollar is faltering but its a bull that wont die easy. DXY below 74.23 will make silver and all sorts shine

Dont know any of them except Atkins looks kinda similar to Hyder and Questor has written on them

RRL bottomed at 14.29 with some news. Will it drift sideways still, I will hold and sell the bits I bought last week if it goes to 20 on anticipation
Buy more sub 15 I think, on scale

http://www.iii.co.uk/articles/15664/range-resources-boosted-texan-results

Encore has a lot of negative feeling but its also at support and the market in general could go positive. Same price as last summer, is it worse off now or better

EnCore Oil (LSE: EO.) announces that, in light of current market conditions, exacerbated by the uncertain investment climate created following the recent tax changes, the Board has decided to cancel the flotation of XEO Exploration and the related offer to EnCore shareholders.

Having spoken to the company, I have established that the tax changes have destroyed investment demand for North Sea assets and made debt finance difficult for producers. Encore will focus its cash on Catcher and Cladhan but believes it will have enough in reserve to fulfil its DECC licence commitments (but not more) on the explo licences: Tudor Rose, Buffalo, Merrow, Spaniards and Hoylake.

http://www.stockopedia.co.uk/content/encore-oil-pulls-xeo-float-56778/

Associate
Hi silversurfer, yes HER well worth researching. Good one to hold longer term, didn't expect such a quick return.

It is thought hedge funds have been shorting the miners/oilies all year which would make sense when you look at the price of commodities.

Time for the bulls now? Hopefully so.

Soldato
Anyone here involved in Forex trading? I know nothing about it really, but interested in starting some research and was curious if there are any fees or commission charges involved in the currency trading area?

Associate
How do you guys value shares? (Main market shares)

There are a few I am looking at but they have gone up a lot, reaching new highs in some cases. Normally, I look at the profit to market cap ratio and, if it is low, it is cheap right? But I am currently experiencing difficulties in locating value. Maybe need some fresh ideas!

Sort of makes me appreciate how good the Naked Trader is, although I do wonder how many unique shares he is invested in, a quick scan down the trades list shows many shares are invested in multiple times.

Caporegime

Doesn't seem to cover much re: economic releases. Does seem to cover pointless stuff like 'Elliot wave'.

Be careful with this stuff, technical analysis is popular because it is easily accessible and can be picked up quickly. If it was as easy as putting some lines on a chart and following some simplistic TA rules then loads of these internet forex traders would be quitting their jobs and living on their yachts - in reality they're not - most of them will simply lose money.

Lastly - do yourself a massive favour, try to avoid typical retail brokers/spread betting firms - they take the other side of your order and so essentially you're trading against them, they know your position - there is a massive conflict of interest. If I were you I'd look into either trading via an ECN or FX futures on globex.

Soldato
Doesn't seem to cover much re: economic releases. Does seem to cover pointless stuff like 'Elliot wave'.

Be careful with this stuff, technical analysis is popular because it is easily accessible and can be picked up quickly. If it was as easy as putting some lines on a chart and following some simplistic TA rules then loads of these internet forex traders would be quitting their jobs and living on their yachts - in reality they're not - most of them will simply lose money.

Lastly - do yourself a massive favour, try to avoid typical retail brokers/spread betting firms - they take the other side of your order and so essentially you're trading against them, they know your position - there is a massive conflict of interest. If I were you I'd look into either trading via an ECN or FX futures on globex.

Thanks very helpful. So out of curiosity if you picked a handful of technical analysis methods like support/resistance, Fibonacci tones, trendlines, RSI etc and automated it in into some clever decision making software what kind of probability of success would you be looking at? So a black box that you pump a live data feed into and it tells youto buy/sell based on standard chart analysis maths and nothing else.

Soldato
I think everyone knows the answer (or lack thereof) to that ;).

In a similar fashion to the NT, I thought I'd share my spread bets to date. Only used one system so far (Tradefair) and I haven't closed any bets since opening (apart from a rolling LAND one which I then swapped over to June).

tradefair.jpg

As you can see, not playing big or crazy but I'd say a 29% gain in 10 days isn't too bad (initial deposit was £500). I'm planning on getting to £1000 valuation (ie double my money) and then possibly upping my stakes to £2pp.

Quick update after another month. Still holding the same stocks plus one more.

tradefair2.jpg

Slowly but surely ;). Lost a fair bit to BLND when they dropped last week hence the difference between open profit/loss and account evaluation.

I really do need to diversify a bit more as well: just struggling to find other markets that I'm interested in/understand.

Last edited:

ntg

ntg

Associate
holy crap, share.com charges extortionate fees!! Had an account with them since dog years and sold some stuff today. 1% commission on sale value!!!!! and another 1% when you buy (just their fees). Damn, I should have chosen to transfer the shares instead of selling but had forgotten about their fees.

anyone know any low fee broker that does US stocks as well? I got x-o but they deal with UK as far as I can see.

Nice recovery for CNR - news due?

According to the boards:

area: Strategic Environmental Assessment CONSULTANCY SERVICES FOR STRATEGIC ENVIRONMENTAL ASSESSMENT (SEA) METAL MINING SECTOR EL SALVADOR Date: 07/26/2010 to 05/31/2011 Client: Ministry of Economy (MINEC) El Salvador has no specific regulatory framework for the metal mining sector. The pressure of mining companies acquired exploration rights and a strong social awareness largely opposed to the development of this activity requires the definition of metal mining policy to clarify the framework for its eventual development. The fragility and conservation value of areas with mineral potential, environmental and social risks implicit in the activity and experience in nearby countries have led the government of El Salvador to require a strategic environmental assessment report, social and sustainability (EASE ) participatory Metal Mining Sector of El Salvador. This report aims to define a framework for policy formulaicón metal mining in El Salvador that cirterios appropriately integrate environmental, social and sustainability. The recruitment of consulting services is based on criteria of technical excellence, an aspect that is reinforced with the hiring of a technical committee of international experts to assess and advise on the outcome of the consultancy. Considering the social and political sensitivity that has developed around the prospect of development of metal mining sector, the EASE incorporates a participatory process involving extensive public consultation will contribute specifically to define priorities and environmental alternative to the sector. File Search:

Also 2 x 3.5 million trades went through on the 25th.

Soldato
A well-overdue rise for RKH today, strong volume too...

Expecting an RNS tomorrow at 07:00 to update on prgress, and re-iterate the pending flowtest...

Should be an interesting week ahead...

Soldato
Worth 50 after they have paid the bills to setup employ and mine the stuff, sure especially if gold price doubles which it can

The safest place is a miner which has secured its future costs and/or has access to cheap power

a strong social awareness largely opposed to the development of this activity

Great keep on wearing the love Al Gore Tshirts. Meanwhile they'll need the money, investment, taxes and jobs that mining brings.
I think its just a question on how much that tax and regulation is a burden to companies. It could be they allow mining but its unprofitable to go ahead like the rare earths in USA

I dont see CNR as strong or its rise as anything special. Volume isnt good. Its skipping along the bottom

RKH expectations? have raised its volume today but it would need I think just as much to carry on past 230. 300 is an obvious target

Closed more BP as Ive decided to scale back holdings. Again at profit but not much.
Anto in profit at last, it behaved well today. Hope I can close this easily.
I'll transfer some of that interest to EMED, also Copper and Encore but I need to double check they are not too justified in staying negative today

Still need to check more on XEL, not sure if its a 'bargain'

Goldman Sachs vs Barclays shows pretty similar. Both wallstreet investment banks
http://www.google.co.uk//finance?ch...ine&cmpto=NYSE:BCS&cmptdms=0&q=NYSE:GS&ntsp=0

Anyone here involved in Forex trading? I know nothing about it really, but interested in starting some research and was curious if there are any fees or commission charges involved in the currency trading area?

I watch currencies, dont trade them much. If you hold shares (BP, etc anyone big) you also are involved unknowingly as shares are priced in sterling but with global assets its all about currency worth. BP is 1/3 Russian rubles
Currency is the worlds largest market.
Uber risky, stick to shares like I say its a proxy anyway. On this line I'd buy BHP which is based around Australia and asia pacific currency/commodity trades

This story to me makes this connection obvious - http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/2542445.stm

fees or commission charges
Its all about the spreads. Walk down the high street and compare the gap in between buying and selling, this is the fee and some companies have tighter spreads - charge you less

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom