*Transfer Window 2014/15 Season Rumours/Signings *AKA Man U fans listing every player under the Sun

Status
Not open for further replies.
Don
http://t.sport.uk.msn.com/football/phelan-fears-united-are-broken

Unfortunately this was exactly the problem with United. Keeping home grown young British talent is all well good, but if they are rubbish, they are rubbish, and need shipping out.

Disagree. You can't have a squad of superstars and one thing about Utd I've always been impressed with was how they rarely had to blow money on players to pad the squad out. Phil Neville, O'Shea, Brown, Evans, Fletcher, Cleverly and Welbeck aren't stars but they wouldn't let you down, kick up a fuss and most importantly were free.

The problem comes when you start building your side around these players but to fill out the squad they're fine.

Caporegime
You're playing 3 at the back though.

If Utd are going to stick with a 3-5-2 they're right on the limit in terms of cb's and cm's IMO.

With Carrick out they're an injury away from relying on Anderson or Fletcher for a run of games and that would worry me if I'm a Utd fan. You can have all the attackers in the world but without a platform for them to play from you're going to struggle.

3 in the back so far, only Di Maria has played, no new signings has so who knows what the new formation would be?

LVG should play my favourite Championship Manager formation, 2-4-4. That's right, 4 up front! He certainly has the players to do it now :D

Caporegime
http://t.sport.uk.msn.com/football/phelan-fears-united-are-broken

Unfortunately this was exactly the problem with United. Keeping home grown young British talent is all well good, but if they are rubbish, they are rubbish, and need shipping out.

Phelan was part of the problem. He's thinking it's 1999 and no other English clubs are buying 30-40 million pound players every other week.

To beat city or chelsea you can't turn up with a team including cleverly, welbeck, Evans Michael Carrick.

Caporegime
This is what I was saying before about Fergie, and sentimentality.

The way Fergie dealt with players with attitude or under performing players say from 2000 vs 2010 was completely different.

Utd's identity has changed completely from when they were actually a good team. LVG is currently doing what the "old" Fergie would have done, cutting the crap, making financial decisions rather than emotional ones. LVG is if anything restoring Utd's identity by buying top quality players, putting a little fear back in the players that they have to perform. Rooney says his role is uncertain with Falcao being bought, good, when he makes a threat because he knows Utd will cave, give him silly money and he can under perform and still get a pay raise... it's why he's declining.

Utd and Arsenal have become like families, where they've known the youngsters so long they have an emotional attachment and their critical eye is completely compromised. Coaches are probably similar to the managers, scouts as well probably as they'll be involved in discussions on how a player is progressing most likely. These are the guys who go to youth games, probably talk with the parents and the kid before anyone else at the club.

It's noticeable that the two clubs with the longest serving managers have so significantly lost their cutting edge and that both managers behaved drastically differently in their final 5 years vs first 5 years.

Moyes could and should have come in, done what LVG is, a few weeks, make a list of players to get shot of, bring in some top talent. Moyes was frankly too close to Fergie and too unwilling to effectively call Fergie wrong by making sweeping changes.

Don
3 in the back so far, only Di Maria has played, no new signings has so who knows what the new formation would be?

LVG should play my favourite Championship Manager formation, 2-4-4. That's right, 4 up front! He certainly has the players to do it now :D

3 at the back certainly doesn't seem to be the most natural system for the players you've got but LVG seems pretty set on it. I guess only time will tell.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom