Travellers descend on Asda car park and refuse to move in stand off with police

Soldato
No you don't. In fact if you hold off paying your council tax for long enough you might avoid having to pay for meals, accommodation and utilities too!
See there is the kicker I also want to stay on my house and live the life I want, just no council tax.
In fact I don't much care for paying for water, or gas and electric either but still want them.

Caporegime
See there is the kicker I also want to stay on my house and live the life I want, just no council tax.
In fact I don't much care for paying for water, or gas and electric either but still want them.

Don't forget disposal of waste!

Actually food and clothes too, I feel like i should just be able to take what I want.

Soldato
Don't forget disposal of waste!

Actually food and clothes too, I feel like i should just be able to take what I want.
I hadn't forgot that's included in council tax.
One of the main reasons for mentioning it, when gypsys eventually move on they always leave behind piles of rubbish.

Soldato

Well that's just an epic level of entitlement right there. I'm losing sympathy for your cause.

In relation to the OP i completely agree with the arguments around litter, law breaking etc, and to some extent I have sympathy with those who would like travelers to contribute more in terms of tax, though I can't help but think the issue is more about the tax system not being flexible enough to pick them up. The flip side to that is I have a major problem with the rhetoric that comes from a lot of the people who oppose illegal traveler sites.

We get a lot down our way, they can often be a pain in the arse but we had a group camped for about 5 days a few weeks back and the comments I made to my wife when I drove past were along the lines of how well they'd kept the space, and when they left there was very little disruption caused to the patch they were on, even if I'd rather they make use of legal sites. However, I popped along to our local forum and the majority of the posts were bordering on final solution levels of intolerance (this isn't an exaggeration, round 'em up, mass graves, all that good stuff) which really doesn't help anybody. The discussion on here is a lot more balanced thank God.

Caporegime
The councils provide a huge range of services, from simple stuff like bin collections to police/fire funding, social care and road maintenance

I can't understand why anyone would think it's ok for them not to pay.

Soldato
We get a lot down our way, they can often be a pain in the arse but we had a group camped for about 5 days a few weeks back and the comments I made to my wife when I drove past were along the lines of how well they'd kept the space, and when they left there was very little disruption caused to the patch they were on, even if I'd rather they make use of legal sites. However, I popped along to our local forum and the majority of the posts were bordering on final solution levels of intolerance (this isn't an exaggeration, round 'em up, mass graves, all that good stuff) which really doesn't help anybody. The discussion on here is a lot more balanced thank God.

You got lucky, when they descend on a area round here it looks like a 3rd world country by the time they get forced to move on.

Soldato
The whole thing wouldnt be such an issue if they had some respect for where they ruck up - if they didnt leave places looking like a rubbish tip costing us thousands to clear up after them they might get a bit a slack moving about

We have regular visits from travelers here in Worc's, these have horse drawn wagons and the council allow them to set up on the roadside verges and even tether their horses on large traffic islands. The difference here is that they are a decent lot and respect their surroundings, when they leave there is nothing to show they were ever there except for where the Horses were grazed.

Soldato
The councils provide a huge range of services, from simple stuff like bin collections to police/fire funding, social care and road maintenance

I can't understand why anyone would think it's ok for them not to pay.

Amazes me as well how some people think they should be left to it.

Soldato
We have regular visits from travelers here in Worc's, these have horse drawn wagons and the council allow them to set up on the roadside verges and even tether their horses on large traffic islands. The difference here is that they are a decent lot and respect their surroundings, when they leave there is nothing to show they were ever there except for where the Horses were grazed.
I'm guessing they pay tax on their income, where they get that income i don't know. Must then cost a fortune taking baths and showers in bottled water, or do they harvest rain water, or like all the ones ive seen read about they steal it from a near by water main.
How do they deal with things like registering cars, what address do they use?

Soldato
Don't be silly, there's nothing that expensive in Wales
So far this year they have destroyed two nature/wildlife reserve parks, the ornamental coronation gardens and dozens of private and public car parks/trading estates. Their damage this year was rated at over a million back in June.

Soldato
dont think thats possible as a large group of people, not everyone wants to live in mainstream society or be part of the social contract, look what happened to new age travellers.
Then they should do like the crazies in the USA. Move out to the country a good few hours drive from anyone else in the forest etc. This country is not as small as people make out, if all these people wanted to do was live a self-sufficient lifestyle away from the trappings of modern society (bills etc.) there are plenty of places they can go. But no, they rock up in towns/car parks and cause havoc, because they are no more than criminals with no respect for anyone else. They just hide it behind a facade of "lifestyle" and "ethnicity".

My girlfriend's Dad used to be a funeral director in Leeds. The stories he had about travellers and their ridiculous funerals. Sheesh. Turning up to pay £20k in cash from a Tesco plastic bag. His ex-copper colleague not being allowed to work one of their funerals for fear of being recognised as having put a few of them away in his time. Etc.

Soldato
they rock up in towns/car parks and cause havoc, because they are no more than criminals with no respect for anyone else. They just hide it behind a facade of "lifestyle" and "ethnicity".
The big problem with tackling the traveller issue, and we've seen it already in this thread, is that when people hear the word "traveller" then one of two images comes to mind.

1: They think of the ye olde Romani travellers going about peacefully in horse drawn carts, living off the land, bothering nobody and clearing up after themselves.
2: They think of the "modern" travellers who are essentially Chavs rocking around in caravans/transits, breaking into public/private property, defecating all over the place, committing as much damage/crime as they can before having to move on then doing it all again.

The problem is, even though 99% of travellers fall into category two, if anyone ever says a bad word about them (or god forbid recommends new laws to finally deal with them) there will always be people who oppose it simply because they like the category one travellers and that's what they think of when somebody mentions the word.

Back
Top Bottom