Travellers descend on Asda car park and refuse to move in stand off with police

Permabanned
The whole thing wouldnt be such an issue if they had some respect for where they ruck up - if they didnt leave places looking like a rubbish tip costing us thousands to clear up after them they might get a bit a slack moving about

Nail on head, it's their total lack of respect for others that prevents us respecting their choice of lifestyle.

If they did clear up after a stay, they might impress the landowner to allow subsequent travellers.

Caporegime
The big problem with tackling the traveller issue, and we've seen it already in this thread, is that when people hear the word "traveller" then one of two images comes to mind.

1: They think of the ye olde Romani travellers going about peacefully in horse drawn carts, living off the land, bothering nobody and clearing up after themselves.
2: They think of the "modern" travellers who are essentially Chavs rocking around in caravans/transits, breaking into public/private property, defecating all over the place, committing as much damage/crime as they can before having to move on then doing it all again.

The problem is, even though 99% of travellers fall into category two, if anyone ever says a bad word about them (or god forbid recommends new laws to finally deal with them) there will always be people who oppose it simply because they like the category one travellers and that's what they think of when somebody mentions the word.

Peaceful Roma who dont bother people? Do you live in a different century?

Sgarrista
Commissario
We have regular visits from travelers here in Worc's, these have horse drawn wagons and the council allow them to set up on the roadside verges and even tether their horses on large traffic islands. The difference here is that they are a decent lot and respect their surroundings, when they leave there is nothing to show they were ever there except for where the Horses were grazed.

Yup, these ones I think people quite enjoy seeing the traditional wooden wagons and that the animals are always kept in excellent health, as you say when they leave the place is always immaculate apart from some grazing circles.

I'm guessing they pay tax on their income, where they get that income i don't know. Must then cost a fortune taking baths and showers in bottled water, or do they harvest rain water, or like all the ones ive seen read about they steal it from a near by water main.

No idea, but they seem to have recently acquired 2 solar panels and a rechargeable battery that they leave out in the sun when the weather is good.

Soldato
You mean the recycling centres that are paid for by council tax, which they don't pay.
Why do so many people allow them to have things for free that the rest of us have to pay for.

It would cost to dispose of it where ever it’s put, at least if they Take it to a tip it saves work for everyone else and they may just gain a bit more respect too

Caporegime
It would cost to dispose of it where ever it’s put, at least if they Take it to a tip it saves work for everyone else and they may just gain a bit more respect too

Exactly.

The council would end up spending more money cleaning up after them. And then they aren't leaving human faeces and stuff in a public space.

Soldato
Well, to be fair at tips in London you have to show a council tax bill and ID to get in. That was in East London though -- probably so they know who is dumping the bodies etc :p

Soldato
Exactly.

The council would end up spending more money cleaning up after them. And then they aren't leaving human faeces and stuff in a public space.

You sound more than happy to pay for their services on their behalf. Do you fancy paying my council tax for me as well.

They would get my respect of they paid their way and didn't expect the rest of us to cover their costs.
Too many mugs in this country it seems.

Soldato
You sound more than happy to pay for their services on their behalf. Do you fancy paying my council tax for me as well.

What would you propose?

They can either leave it where they’ve camped, fly tip it, take it to a tip or I dunno, burn it?

Either way it will cost something and there’s little chance of enforcing some form of payment from them

Soldato
What would you propose?

They can either leave it where they’ve camped, fly tip it, take it to a tip or I dunno, burn it?

Either way it will cost something and there’s little chance of enforcing some form of payment from them

For starters arrest the lot of them for trespassing, investigate their financial situations and seize illegally gained assets.
Oh and make it okay for landowners to do what ever is required to clear property including crushing vehicles and caravans.
Seriously why do people think they deserve a free ride.
Makes my blood boil, lazy disrespectful trash.

Caporegime
Haha we saw a bunch of gypsy kids going to Leeds on pride day.

All comming off the train no tickets get to the barriers all push through one after the other.
.one guard tries to stop them but won't touch them so they just walk around him

2 British transport police turn up and block two of them and tell them theyve got to buy tickets, they just ran round the police and pushed through the barriers again.

Police shrugged and walked off

Back
Top Bottom