Tread Depth

My car is parked in an underground car park and is driven once a week for 23 miles. So not exposed to the elements. On my old car which was first registered in November 2007, I was advised to replace the original Continentals in May 2017 when my car was in the tyre fitters for a reason that I can’t remember.

They ended up fitting some Chinese tyres which I wasn’t happy about but they caught me off guard. Now I know what tyres I want Michelin Primacy 4 and I will ask for those when the time comes unless the Michelin Primacy 5 are out by then.

I have even got some quotes of £387 to £397 for a set of four fitted which isn’t bad by all accounts. That’s probably because they are in a smallish size.

23 miles a week? The Chinese tires are fine for that, I wouldn't worry :)

If you've already got good quality tyres on there they'll probably last for ages. 23 miles is a decent enough run to get some heat into the tyres and then storing it in underground parking will protect them from the elements.
I guess my usage case are a classic example which should last for 10 years but should be replaced at the 10 year mark as a precaution.

For 23 miles once a week, your use case would probably be better replaced with a Taxi, and avoid all of the costs of ownership of a car
its a very good point....... and for the money saved he could even treat himself a few times a year to something from here! (or similar)

For 23 miles once a week, your use case would probably be better replaced with a Taxi, and avoid all of the costs of ownership of a car
That’s not very helpful. I don’t drive because I need to, I drive because I want to. There’s a difference. It doesn’t cost me much to run the car either. I don’t need to drive the 23 miles each week, I’m not going anywhere in particular. I do it to keep the car running.

As a convenience, though, I'm sure you can't beat driving down to the beach early morning before tourists arrive - doesn't get old. ..

Do you ever have to drive on sand.

Here's photos of my other tyres. Apart from being a bit dirty they don't appear to have any signs of sidewall cracking...

Front left 48/18
NilMUhp.jpeg

Rear left 01/19
O1waO57.jpeg

Rear right 52/18
E9Ne9tX.jpeg

That’s not very helpful. I don’t drive because I need to, I drive because I want to. There’s a difference. It doesn’t cost me much to run the car either. I don’t need to drive the 23 miles each week, I’m not going anywhere in particular. I do it to keep the car running.
:cry:

Does anyone else rotate their tyres? I've always done so every 6-7k miles, just as I prefer to get a full set of 4 new ones at the same time.

Usually, i do the fronts, then all 4 on my van

But looking at the wifes BMW they all seem to be wearing the same, i thought the backs would wear much quicker.

Usually, i do the fronts, then all 4 on my van

But looking at the wifes BMW they all seem to be wearing the same, i thought the backs would wear much quicker.
I can’t rotate mine even if I wanted too. The fronts are 165/65R15 and the rears are 185/60R15. Not that I’d need to as there’s only about 0.5mm difference in wear between the fronts and the rears. The car is RWD so extra rear wear is expected. They’ve all got over 6mm tread depth so I don’t even have a need to rotate.

I can’t rotate mine even if I wanted too. The fronts are 165/65R15 and the rears are 185/60R15. Not that I’d need to as there’s only about 0.5mm difference in wear between the fronts and the rears. The car is RWD so extra rear wear is expected. They’ve all got over 6mm tread depth so I don’t even have a need to rotate.

Similarly here.

Rears are 255/35 R19, Fronts are 225/40 R19

Rears tend to wear out first :cool:

Back
Top Bottom