trying to get steady 4ghz

Soldato
Just wanna say cheers to you all for the settings you guys posted...

I just got my i7 920 to run to idle at 25c on 4ghz....

I will be posting pics of my bios for all who needs...

Let me guess, you are using ET6 to monitor temps right?

You should use RealTemp to monitor your temps mate, it gives you the temps of your cores, whereas ET6 reads the socket temps.

Also, it's your load temps you should be concerned about not your idle temps.

Dysfunctional said:
But DavyBoy, if you have never had to manually overclock a PC before it can be a bit daunting to have to do this and risk loosing/damaging hardware you have paid a lot for...

I know this only to well mate, I was new to overclocking once myself, and I remember how frightening it can be when you don't have a clue what you are doing.

The OP came here to ask for suggestions on how to get a stable clock for his system, so he clearly wants people who know how to clock these chips to help him get his own system stable..

The settings that I suggested he tried were settings I have tried myself, and are well within Intels specs, so it wasn't going to harm his system in anyway!!!

As for your own system, it's a pre overclocked bundle right?

If you are having instability issues, and you are to worried to try tweaking it yourself, then you should just leave it well alone and ask for the tech guys help instead...

Associate
Hey, I was using everest to monitor the temps and max core under load on prime so far are 58c but that was only after 30min, so I suppose it will go higher...

I'm just glad that after all the problems I had with my bundle I got it to work...

The tech guys did try help, but none of the profiles they sent me worked so I then used a combination of yours, madindahead and chippy's voltages to get a stable
4ghz ...cheers for that gents!

I will try the real temp app tonight...

Associate
Currently im at 1.66V and 1531mhz for the ram.
running at 191 x 21 for my cpu speed.
my cpu voltage is 1.29500 with qpi at 1.325 and pll at 1.8
ive got differential amp at 900mV.
my UCLK and QPI link data rate are set manually.

The temperatures are close to 80 degrees on a full load of prime95, all my case fans are on low speed (antec 900).
This is measured using coretemp, one is around 79/80, the others are 76-78.

I'm using an H50, and the radiator is mounted at the back of the case in a push/pull configuration as an exhaust.

If I lower the cpu voltage any more than that it tends to bsod with machine check errors at full load, are there other settings i can change slightly to reduce the temp?

Any advice you can give me to bring the temps down a bit more, i must admit i would like to stay over the 4Ghz mark though :)

CSA

CSA

Associate
Hi guys ,im going to taking delivery of my i5 cpu today i already have a msi p55 gd80 motherboard and geil ultra DDR3 so im going to be playing tonight and trying to hit that magic 4ghz

can i ask what apps/software i shall need to monitor temps and benchmark ?

im using win 7 x64 if that makes a difference

Associate
Intelburn is for quick test and use 8 cores otherwise it will only stress at 50%. LinX can be used after it passes IBT, run it 20 runs and if it passes you are good to go.

Soldato
Intelburn is for quick test and use 8 cores otherwise it will only stress at 50%. LinX can be used after it passes IBT, run it 20 runs and if it passes you are good to go.

Ok. Thanks man. Had to pop the side off my case again, as the temps were getting a bit high. But that also had to do with my being an tool, and putting the fans on the wrong way.

Will have to sit and lower my voltages soon. Tried it last night, but went unstable after lowering below 1.3V which is a shame =(

Associate
Np mate. What sort of temps are you getting under load ?
Some chips are ddifferent to others, some need high volts to oc high while they give low temps ....... but then you get other chips which need low volts that give mad heat.
My D0 is currently at 4.3GHz, 1.41V ...... know very high volts but my max temps are only 73C so its ok for 24/7.

Soldato
I had a quick question.

What is better to use to stress test? LinX or IntelBurnTest. Also, when using IntelBurnTest, is it best to go 8 cores, or auto?

I prefer LinX out of these two, as it doesn't have the 8 thread bug that IBT has, when using IBT, you need to set it to 16 threads for it to fully load your processor, whereas LinX will fully load the chip with only 8 threads.

There is no point in using both of these apps together, as they both run the same tests, so just choose which one you prefer and stick to that..

Like I said though, IBT has a bug where you need to enable 16 threads, I am not sure if this bug is still present as I haven't used it for quite a while now.

Last edited:
Soldato
Ok. I am having problems with running my system stable @ 4GHz. IntelBurnTest says the CPU isn't stable after 2-3 outputs with threads set to 8. My Vcore is reasonably high, so I'm starting to get confused as to what is actually causing this instability.

Edit: Going to try LinX, as most people seem to say it is better. I'm guessing it will tell me if it isn't stable.

Last edited:
Soldato
Run LinX, did 6 cycles first time and 3 cycles second time round no problems. Need my PC, so havn't been able to run a full 10 cycles uninterrupted yet sadly. But it seems to be better than IBT =)

Going to run 10 cycles soon and see what happens

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom