Tsohost issues

Soldato
I was still on the ROME server, apparently too old to have SSL certificates running on it so I had to be migrated. Without warning I was moved to another server and now I'm chasing down which domains need updating as some of them were not using the vidahost nameservers and my IP changed.

Man of Honour
I was still on the ROME server, apparently too old to have SSL certificates running on it so I had to be migrated. Without warning I was moved to another server and now I'm chasing down which domains need updating as some of them were not using the vidahost nameservers and my IP changed.
Definitely an older server but doh :(

Soldato
If you want an excellent hosting service go with Linode. You can get a VPS for $5 a month that will happily run multiple websites. The only downside is you need to all the system administration yourself, so it does require some knowledge of Linux.

Man of Honour
If you want an excellent hosting service go with Linode. You can get a VPS for $5 a month that will happily run multiple websites. The only downside is you need to all the system administration yourself, so it does require some knowledge of Linux.
The thing is for 95% of people that just doesn't work - most people have barely a passing knowledge of Linux, let alone enough sysadmin experience to run hosting on it reliably and securely.

That's why good shared hosts start to fall down. Sure it's easy to install Apache or nginx or Dovecot or $latest_fashion, but to keep systems running essentially 24/7/365 whilst running all manner of untrusted scripts and being exposed to spam, DoS attacks, bad code, security updates, bad patches, etc.....well it took me years to learn how to do it and every week or even day had a new thing to learn. The main reason we did alright is not that we were perfect but that we were honest with our clients and worked hard to genuinely fix any problems. I lived glued to a laptop the whole time more or less.

I don't use any shared hosting companies myself but I've heard a lot of people on other forums & Trustpilot using places like Hi-Hosting, Krystal etc.

I can also highly recommend the guys at Catalyst2, it's been a while since I've used them but they actually ran an offsite Vidahost nameserver for a number of years with near-zero problems and they're also friendly guys rather than some types you find in the IT world.

Man of Honour
Was with vidahost but had so many issues with tsohost. Switched to Krystal this week and they’ve been great. Site is so much more responsive with them as well

Soldato
Bit disappointed to read this as I've just migrated my hosting to a TSOHOST Cloud Package. My original hosting was with MythQ, which was bought out by a number of companies, then HostRoute then VidaHost which is now a TSOHost sister. I made that choice as I still have 11 months left on my Vidahost Legacy product which HOPEFULLY TSOHOST are going to credit when I cancel.

Shall see how it goes, my hosting is not mission critical and serves more for email and file hosting. I've actually been quite impressed with the support I've been offered thus far, quick Web Form replies and <5 minute waits on LiveChat, even at 11pm. My site migration ticket was logged at Midnight and was complete by 7am.

Soldato
I never had much downtime with Vidahost or TSOHOST but both companies lied to me on several occasions.

Two years ago Vidahost were trying to fix a problem with my email, they read and replied to two emails sent by a clients.

So much for confidentiality.

Soldato
Yeah, Vidahopst sent out an email to a tenant from my primary mailbox when I was complaining about Domain Reputation and delayed emails. Was not best pleased with that.

Man of Honour
Bit disappointed to read this as I've just migrated my hosting to a TSOHOST Cloud Package. My original hosting was with MythQ, which was bought out by a number of companies, then HostRoute then VidaHost which is now a TSOHost sister. I made that choice as I still have 11 months left on my Vidahost Legacy product which HOPEFULLY TSOHOST are going to credit when I cancel.

Shall see how it goes, my hosting is not mission critical and serves more for email and file hosting. I've actually been quite impressed with the support I've been offered thus far, quick Web Form replies and <5 minute waits on LiveChat, even at 11pm. My site migration ticket was logged at Midnight and was complete by 7am.
We (Paragon) bought Hostroute in 2011 so since then Hostroute/Tso/Vida have all been the same company/teams. Just different websites - well not anymore. We integrated HR into Vida a while back for example.

Presumably all you've done is migrated from a cPanel hosting account to the in-house cloud system. Maybe worth it if the cPanel server was very old I guess.

Soldato
Very, very old. Not even sure it is was being maintained anymore. The Roundcube webmail instance was ancient.

Paying a few quid more for the cloud solution and get the benefit of SFTP, Lets Encrypt free SSL and some other minor bits. Losing unlimited mailboxes though, not really a massive issue as I bring all my mail over to Gmail and can prune the TSOHOST mailbox from time to time. I still think a 200mb mailbox limit is a bit small in this day and age though.

Soldato
had a few issues this week with email from TSO host which has been a royal pain in the backside for my business, to the point I'm looking for an alternative.

bit of a thread hijack but how easy is it to do a switch of host for 7/8 websites with zero to little downtime

Soldato
The actual migration could be done within a short time. It's the DNS propagation that might causes some interim issues depending on what you host.

Can be managed with redirects on the old host and/or a period of ensuring no changes / writes occur to site data until DNS is fully propgated. No matter what DNS is propgated as long as both hosts run simultaneously data would be served from both until all nameservers are updated. SSL might break in the interim though.

Relatively static stuff will be pretty painless to migrate. Anything dynamic gets more tricky.

Man of Honour
I still think a 200mb mailbox limit is a bit small in this day and age though.
Just checked the site and the fact that the Cloud mailboxes are now size-limited and the cPanel ones aren't should tell you all you need to know about the infrastructure.

I don't miss the time the mail system completely failed and I was at the DC adding huge numbers of servers to cope with the particular setup at the time.

I wonder how it keeps ticking these days as it must be huge.

Soldato
OP
had a few issues this week with email from TSO host which has been a royal pain in the backside for my business, to the point I'm looking for an alternative.

bit of a thread hijack but how easy is it to do a switch of host for 7/8 websites with zero to little downtime

Pretty easy. That was my migration, with 2 of those being quite active business websites including mail etc.

All the .co.uk domains and DNSs were pretty much instant, .com took 5 days.

Soldato
TSOHost was run by Darren on these forums. What happened? Part of the reason I stayed with them. I guess when the cash comes calling, it's time to sell up and forget the people that made you in the first place.

Soldato
Another failure by TSOHost, they charged my credit card for a domain I had transferred away. Once again no one can explain why this happened! :(

They have refunded but it's making sure as a service expires I'm moving it away as I have less and less confidence in them. Such a shame, I've been with them for a very long time and it's sad to see things go downhill.

Back
Top Bottom