Tutorial: Adding multiple LEDs to a basic case fan.

I'd probably go with 16 or 20 to be honest, depending on colour. I've done 12 on a 8cm and a 12cm fan and it looked better on the 8cm fan. The Enermax Apollish (which the idea came from) has 18 LEDs on the fans I believe.

I'm about to do another 16 LED Xilence fan but would be interested to see how a 14cm fan would look with 20 as I'm getting a Thermalright TY-140 on a Thermalright Shaman which may need modding to reduce the ugliness of the fan.

What colour were you thinking? I found Orange didn't work brilliantly with black, well not as good as it did with Red anyway. White maybe? Blue? Green? The circuit may get tricky with some of the colours as you'd need to split.

How well the colour will get reflected or absorbed will depend on the material of the fan. The Yate Loons that OcUK stock seem to reflect a nice bit of light for a basic black fan so you might get a good effect on them.

You can often grab a multi colour set of LEDs off eBay with 20 off LEDs of each major colour for a few quid if you fancy trying out a few different colours. Drill a single hole in an appropriate place and stick each LED through in turn. This is how I decided the mod was worth doing.

An update..

Decided to grab another Xilence fan and mod it. I've also removed the fan grille and added some 6mm u channel.

day-open.jpg

night-closed.jpg

night-open.jpg

After seeing this, i was inspired to have a go at it.

I followed Tealc's guide word for word and this is how it came out.

IMG_0284.jpg

I didnt want to hide it as it turned out better than i thought, so i decided to cut up my CM690 side panel and add a window and use the fan as a exhaust.

IMG_0301.jpg
IMG_0300-1.jpg

Overall im happy with it, thanks to Tealc for the inspiration to have a go at it.

That looks awesome br00m. Often wondered what it'd look like with a white bladed fan? (but never quite enough to buy and one give it a go) It seems to react well with the blue LEDs. It is a white blade fan right?

Last edited:
Trying to make a Noctua NF-P12 look a bit better ended with this result. My initial thinking was that 16 LEDs on a heatsink fan might be overkill, especially as I don't have window so I tried this method.

In this one you may notice I have extra LEDs on the face of the fan. I wanted to see how this would penentrate a heatsink. I did try and use SMD LEDs but found it very tricky to work with and stick down so went with wide angle 3mm Flat top LEDs.

Noctua1-1.jpg

Noctua2-1.jpg

Made a total mess of the wiring as one of my kids kept nagging me in the shed as I was wiring. I think I got half of them back to front.

I'm already thinking about converting it to a 16 LED fan because they just look awesome. Technically this would be a 24 LED fan then :/

Decided to 'paint' my now retired modded 12 LED Tri-cool fan with Clear Lacquer paint.

So anyway this is how the fan looked after I modded it last year. The LED light is absorbed by the surface and gives the spotlight effect.

OrangeLEDBlackfan.jpg

And with the lacquer. I think I put on about 3 coats with no preparation hence the bad finish. The light is now reflected and curves around the curved edge of the fan blade.

shiny2.jpg

shiny.jpg

This is more the look I initially sought when starting this modification. I'm more than happy with the normal result but I thought this was nice too.

I figured given all the help I received I should at least post my experiences :)

Thanks to Tony for all the help he's given me - really enjoyed this part of my build.

All rigged in daytime shot - hotwiring my PSU to act as a power source for these xD:
dayi.png

Close up Daytime shot (brighter than they look!):
closeupdayleds.png

Night Shot:
nightshotled.png

kd

LEDs have different operating voltages. Here are some typical values.

Red - 1.8 to 1.9v
Yellow - 1.8 to 2.1v
Orange - 1.8 to 2.2v
Green - 2.8 to 3.2v
Purple - 3.2 to 3.6v
Blue - 3.2 to 3.8v
White - 3.2 to 3.8v

When wiring LEDs in series make sure that when their voltages when added together is less than 12v.

Calculations are done using V = I x R. Volts = Current x Resistance.
So if I understand this correctly, blue LEDs must be done in sets of 3 instead of 4?

Anyone tried this on a clear acrylic fan?

This is one of the best looking mods I've ever seen.

So if I understand this correctly, blue LEDs must be done in sets of 3 instead of 4?

Yes. You could make a 12 LED fan, 15 LED fan, or an 18 LED fan with this choice. 18 does look pretty good.

solo4.jpg

This is on a semi-transparent fan.

This is one of the best looking mods I've ever seen.

Thanks.

Anyone tried this on a clear acrylic fan?

I haven't as I don't have a full transparent one, just a semi-transparent one as above.

Back
Top Bottom