TV Fixtures and TV Rights thread.

Man of Honour
I want to know how on earth they got away of pushing last Saturdays Spurs -v- West Ham all the way back to tonight (Thursday)? Only 48 hours after after both clubs played on Tuesday and allowing some other clubs to play two games in that period.. Yet the last day of the season all games must be played at the same time to give fair advantage.. What a joke that is.

It's a pain the **** for tickets holders when games are constantly being switched.. The sooner all games are available as Per Per View rather than scheduled across the whole weekend the better.

Caporegime
I want to know how on earth they got away of pushing last Saturdays Spurs -v- West Ham all the way back to tonight (Thursday)? Only 48 hours after after both clubs played on Tuesday and allowing some other clubs to play two games in that period.. Yet the last day of the season all games must be played at the same time to give fair advantage.. What a joke that is.

It's a pain the **** for tickets holders when games are constantly being switched.. The sooner all games are available as Per Per View rather than scheduled across the whole weekend the better.
Saturday 3pm games will still be barred from UK TV. The lower league clubs will always veto any plans to show them fearing for their attendances.

Also the splitting of rights into two companies was pushed by the EU not the PL as they deemed it anti-competitive and giving more choice to the consumer. No one company can have all the packages. I'm hopeful that now BT and Sky are on more friendly terms they can work together so the bids don't increase by a huge amount this time round again. Within Sky I've felt the effect of the last football bid.

Don
OP

Surely you're not complaining about any disadvantage to Spurs are you? When I saw that the game had been moved from New Years Eve I automatically assumed it was the police that made the decision - potential for a bit of trouble at this game and the police not having enough units available because of New Years. I have no idea if that was the actual reason but it definitely wasn't moved for TV purposes though. The game was scheduled to be shown on Sky on Sunday anyway as part of one of their 3 game Super Sundays.

That said, it worked out as a huge advantage to Spurs and West Ham - both sides went into their boxing day fixtures knowing they had a full week before their next game, which allowed them to not have to worry about resting players for the weekend (unlike their opposition that day) and of course had a full weeks preparation for their game on Tuesday (again, unlike their opposition that day). With the exception of a couple of sides, due to TV scheduling, pretty much every side ended up playing 2 games in 3 days at some point over New Years.

Regarding your point on making all games available on pay per view, over the weekend, I don't think that'll ever happen. The PL want to keep the value of the rights as high as possible and doing that will lower the value to Sky/BT - there wouldn't be a noticeable increase in viewing figures (and subscribers) if Sky were showing 4 games live simultaneously than if they were showing just 1 game. Most of the supporters from the other 6 teams would end up watching the other match anyway. The League want to sell the rights to more games but as we've seen with the new rights auction coming up, they're doing so by adding new TV slots (we're going to have Saturday evening kick-offs from 2019).

The only games that we'll ever see being shown simultaneously are the Boxing Day, New Years Day, last day of the season and midweek rounds simply because they can't have 10 different kick-off times for each of these rounds of fixutres.
Saturday 3pm games will still be barred from UK TV. The lower league clubs will always veto any plans to show them fearing for their attendances.
As above, that's not the reason why all PL games aren't being shown on TV though. They could easily move all the Saturday 3pm's to Sunday's.

Caporegime
Seems like rumblings in the jungle that Amazon are preparing to bid on right to stream Premier League matches..would be quite something, will certainly be watching this one with interest.

In a move that will fuel speculation the internet giant is considering challenging Sky and BT for domestic coverage of the world’s richest league, Amazon has been consulting industry experts about the practicalities of adding top-flight English football to its fledgling portfolio of live sport.

The development was confirmed to Telegraph Sport on Thursday by two well-placed sources, while Amazon itself refused to confirm or deny whether it was exploring bidding for the UK rights for the Premier League for the three years between 2019-22.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/football/2018/01/04/amazon-holds-talks-premier-league-uk-tv-rights/

Soldato
More fake 'competition' because they'll no doubt get a different package again and result in another package to subscribe to. They'll never allow proper competition of people showing the same games as that would mean they'd need to actually compete with each other, lower prices and not sink so much money into the league coffers.

Associate
To watch football every week can cost over £100 a month for the various subscriptions required.

Alternatively a "football fan" could buy a season ticket for their club and watch their team every week.

Here in lies the problem. It's easy to sit on your sofa and support one of the big clubs. I'm an Everton fan myself and previously hd a season ticket but my closest club would be Wigan Athletic and I'm VERY tempted to buy a season ticket for them next year. I've just become disillusioned with the Premier League.

Caporegime
If Amazon and Facebook were going to enter I suspect it would be for the international rights (which aren't up for renewal any time soon AFAIK) rather than just the UK rights. Sky and BT are still UK centric, despite their burgeoning interests abroad. They were rumoured to be sizing up a bid last time too but, again AFAIK, only BT and Sky submitted any bids at all.

Don
OP
One provider one price. Extra £ into grassroots.
They won't do this any time soon. As I mentioned earlier in the thread, the reason for breaking the rights up into multiple packages was because nobody could compete with Sky. By selling packages of games it brings all the other broadcasters back into the fold and forces Sky to pay a premium on every package.
If Amazon and Facebook were going to enter I suspect it would be for the international rights (which aren't up for renewal any time soon AFAIK) rather than just the UK rights. Sky and BT are still UK centric, despite their burgeoning interests abroad. They were rumoured to be sizing up a bid last time too but, again AFAIK, only BT and Sky submitted any bids at all.
Both the domestic and international rights are sold at the same time with the current agreements finishing at the end of the 18/19 season. A number of the international deals (for 19/20-21/22) have already been tied up, it's the UK rights auction that's about to kick-off. This Amazon link is in relation to the domestic rights - who knows whether they'll make a serious bid though, I wouldn't bet against this being a scare tactic from the PL to force Sky/BT's hands.

Caporegime
They won't do this any time soon. As I mentioned earlier in the thread, the reason for breaking the rights up into multiple packages was because nobody could compete with Sky. By selling packages of games it brings all the other broadcasters back into the fold and forces Sky to pay a premium on every package.

Both the domestic and international rights are sold at the same time with the current agreements finishing at the end of the 18/19 season. A number of the international deals (for 19/20-21/22) have already been tied up, it's the UK rights auction that's about to kick-off. This Amazon link is in relation to the domestic rights - who knows whether they'll make a serious bid though, I wouldn't bet against this being a scare tactic from the PL to force Sky/BT's hands.
The EU mandated that a single provider was anti-competitive and forced the PL's hand and said no one provider could have all the packages.

Sky used to have them all and showed extra matches on a PPV basis.

Last edited:
Don
OP
The EU mandated that a single provider was anti-competitive and forced the PL's hand and said no one provider could have all the packages.
The EU simply stopped Sky being able to buy all the packages. The decision to sell the rights as packages of games rather than 1 block was taken 3 years earlier when iinm, Sky won all the packages.

Don
OP
Has the premier league cash bubble started to burst?
No it hasn't. The last sale Sky were under huge pressure from BT and were forced to over pay to make sure they kept their spot as top dog. The recent agreement between Sky and BT has helped both parties - obviously it would be illegal and there's no way they'd have done it but the fact that BT and Sky have both ended up paying roughly the same amount on a per match basis makes you wonder whether this was discussed when they reached their channel sharing deal.

Once these other 2 packages are sold the overall income from the domestic rights isn't likely to drop by much, if anything at all. Any loss will be more than made up for with the expected increase in the overseas rights sale.

Who ends up buying these remaining 2 packages is going to be interesting and could shape the next sale in 3 years time. Seeing as Sky have announced their deal it would appear as if they're not going to be bidding (iinm they can only get 1 of the 2 anyway) which leaves BT and the possibility of somebody new - it's strongly rumoured that Amazon are seriously interested and will go after these smaller packages to test the water. If that happens and it goes well then the auction in 3 years could be like the last one with another massive increase.

Don
OP
There's some speculation on twitter as to why the last 2 haven't been announced yet - whether because bidding is still on going or because the reserve price wasn't met. It looks like it's between BT and Amazon. These last 2 packages are the matches that will be shown simultaneously for the first time (midweek and bank holiday games) so aren't as valuable.

Back
Top Bottom