TV Fixtures and TV Rights thread.

Soldato
I still think every club needs it's own subscription service for example a fixed amount so I can watch all the Liverpool games only, not every one watches other clubs

Don
OP
Sky will just overpay again if they try and do that, naturally that will end up being passed onto the customer so regardless of who gets the rights it's the consumer that gets bent over. Or you pay the same amount for less content.

Same thing happened when BT came in.
I wouldn't bet on Sky retaining as many games in 3 years time. If this goes well for Amazon and they decide they want more games, they have the money to blow everybody out of the water - how that works for the consumer is anyones guess right now but I wouldn't be certain that it would be a negative for us. If Amazon were to take on Sky's position and hold the majority of packages, I think it would work out cheaper for the consumer than as it is with Sky.
Makes sense really, I cant think that there are too many funds coming from Overseas rights because of the Overseas market wanting to show Stoke v West Ham (no offense to their supporters, just stating what seems obvious) , I would imagine that most overseas markets are paying because they want to see the bigger teams and if it wasnt for that, the overseas wouldnt even bother. As someone said the other day, 50% of something is better than 100% of nothing.
That's always been the argument and it's true however the PL has been built on it's competitiveness - the difference between tv money between 1st and 20th is about the same as between 1st and 3rd in Spain and around half of that between 1st and last in Spain.
200 live matches.. 3pm KO will be a thing of the past - great shame.
Until laws change regarding televising Saturday 3pms then we'll see fewer and fewer of them. If this Amazon deal goes well and a change in law is passed then we could see Saturday 3pm's back again.

Caporegime
I wouldn't bet on Sky retaining as many games in 3 years time. If this goes well for Amazon and they decide they want more games, they have the money to blow everybody out of the water - how that works for the consumer is anyones guess right now but I wouldn't be certain that it would be a negative for us. If Amazon were to take on Sky's position and hold the majority of packages, I think it would work out cheaper for the consumer than as it is with Sky.

That's always been the argument and it's true however the PL has been built on it's competitiveness - the difference between tv money between 1st and 20th is about the same as between 1st and 3rd in Spain and around half of that between 1st and last in Spain.

Until laws change regarding televising Saturday 3pms then we'll see fewer and fewer of them. If this Amazon deal goes well and a change in law is passed then we could see Saturday 3pm's back again.
Broadcasting 3pm kickoffs in the UK would require a change by the FA and a vote by all teams. Each team has a vote. If all the league 1, 2 and lower league teams are against it, and historically they've been vehemently against it, it will never happen.

I can't see individual team viewing packages being an option either. The rich will just get richer. Its bad enough as it is now with a 'top 6' and the rest. The whole point in keeping competitiveness was that the money is mostly shared equally and then TV and success payments.

Don
OP
Ultimately money talks and if somebody like Amazon really make a big move in 3 years time, if some of that cash trickles down to these Football League clubs then I'm sure they'll be more willing to vote in favour. Saturday 3pm's and simultaneously showing multiple games isn't really great option for Sky, unless they change their pricing model, but for somebody like Amazon it's something that they could make work.

Soldato
This seriously isn't fair for season ticket holders who have their fixtures pulled around all over the place making it very difficult to make plans.. And Saturday night footy is just a pain the ****.
That's the unfortunate price of not just televising all games on a Saturday at 3pm like most fans I'm assuming would want. It's done across the world and the 3pm ruling is archaic.

Soldato
Broadcasting 3pm kickoffs in the UK would require a change by the FA and a vote by all teams. Each team has a vote. If all the league 1, 2 and lower league teams are against it, and historically they've been vehemently against it, it will never happen.

I can't see individual team viewing packages being an option either. The rich will just get richer. Its bad enough as it is now with a 'top 6' and the rest. The whole point in keeping competitiveness was that the money is mostly shared equally and then TV and success payments.
Easily amended by sharing all tv rights across the league's.

Man of Honour
That's the unfortunate price of not just televising all games on a Saturday at 3pm like most fans I'm assuming would want. It's done across the world and the 3pm ruling is archaic.

Must admit, that one of the great things about my job regularly sending me to Kuala Lumpur is that they show all the 3pm kickoffs live in English (as long as you dont mind the likes of Steve Mcmahon as pundits)

Caporegime

Those teams need to get with the times and suck it up.

It is ridiculous that the games get shown in every country but the country of origin.

Man of Honour
FFS, yet more money to watch the same content then.

Its getting ridiculous - to keep access to all the sport I like to watch (Champions League, F1, Bundesliga, Serie A, Pro 14 Rugby + other footie) I basically now need Sky, BT, Eleven Sports, Amazon & Premier Sports..... at some point surely punters are going to have to vote with their feet and stop paying for everything!

Don
OP
Some interesting news regarding the 3pm TV blackout.

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/edition/...be-shown-on-tv-in-3pm-saturday-slot-nqkgnfrr0

Eleven Sports, who bought the rights to La Liga games in the UK, had been ignoring the 3pm blackout law and streaming La Liga games live prior to the International break. It's reported that the FA and UEFA have pressured the Spanish FA to make sure La Liga stick to the law and stop Eleven Sport broadcasting during the blackout period. Eleven Sports has announced today that they will respect the law for the time being but stated the law is outdated and are considering all legal and regulatory options.

It's going to be interesting to see how this plays out because if Eleven Sports are successful in any action they take, it could open the door for Premier League games to be televised at 3pm on a Saturday too.

Caporegime
Some interesting news regarding the 3pm TV blackout.

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/edition/...be-shown-on-tv-in-3pm-saturday-slot-nqkgnfrr0

Eleven Sports, who bought the rights to La Liga games in the UK, had been ignoring the 3pm blackout law and streaming La Liga games live prior to the International break. It's reported that the FA and UEFA have pressured the Spanish FA to make sure La Liga stick to the law and stop Eleven Sport broadcasting during the blackout period. Eleven Sports has announced today that they will respect the law for the time being but stated the law is outdated and are considering all legal and regulatory options.

It's going to be interesting to see how this plays out because if Eleven Sports are successful in any action they take, it could open the door for Premier League games to be televised at 3pm on a Saturday too.

The FA and Premier League have a lot more power here than La Liga and Eleven Sport do. The FA (where each club gets an equal vote AFAIK) will be vehemently against it whereas the Premier League may not be so much, but I'd expect them to toe the line with the FA and also be against it, at least at the moment. I can see the FA & PL easing their stance for foreign football (that is not UK, not just England) but it would take a monumental shift within the FA for 3pm games to be shown live on a Saturday.

Soldato
Yeah it could lead to an interesting discussion but I still don't see it happening. Most teams below Championship level depend massively on gate receipts on match days and those could be hit quite badly by airing the 3pm games. I'm sure there are lots of people up and down the land who support a Premier League or Championship side but go to watch their local team at 3pm on a Saturday, and I'd be willing to bet that a lot of those people wouldn't bother going if they knew their team were being shown on TV.

Caporegime
Yeah it could lead to an interesting discussion but I still don't see it happening. Most teams below Championship level depend massively on gate receipts on match days and those could be hit quite badly by airing the 3pm games. I'm sure there are lots of people up and down the land who support a Premier League or Championship side but go to watch their local team at 3pm on a Saturday, and I'd be willing to bet that a lot of those people wouldn't bother going if they knew their team were being shown on TV.
The exact fear and worry that the lower leagues have and the main reason they're so against showing 3pm games. Would you go and watch Preston North End, Blyth Spartans or Accrington Stanley if Liverpool or Man United or Spurs was on the telly? For some, yes they would, but for others I doubt it.

Don
OP
The FA and Premier League have a lot more power here than La Liga and Eleven Sport do. The FA (where each club gets an equal vote AFAIK) will be vehemently against it whereas the Premier League may not be so much, but I'd expect them to toe the line with the FA and also be against it, at least at the moment. I can see the FA & PL easing their stance for foreign football (that is not UK, not just England) but it would take a monumental shift within the FA for 3pm games to be shown live on a Saturday.
I'm far from convinced that the PL are against the 3pm blackout, in fact I'm all but certain that if they had the possibility of opening up another TV slot for every match week, they'd jump at the chance. The PL are desperate to create more slots to broadcast games to boost the value of the rights and 3pm Saturday is just about as perfect as a slot could be for them.

No doubt the FA are against it but ultimately how secure is the law from a legal point of view? Just because the FA or Premier League create a ruling, it doesn't mean it can't be challenged legally.* Also, even from the FA's point of view, how useful is the law anymore? Yes in the 1950's, having this law really did prevent people from watching games at 3pm on a Saturday but we all know that anybody that wants to watch a 3pm game this Saturday has absolutely no problem in doing so.

*Some years back the PL fined a landlady thousands for subscribing to a greek broadcaster and showing PL games in her pub - the PL claimed that the broadcast was copyrighted for use only in Greece. She challenged this in the courts and the charge against her was overturned as you couldn't legally copyright something on a territory by territory basis. Ultimately this case did prevent all pubs from subscribing to foreign satellite companies (legally) as it was found that pubs required the PL's permission to broadcast their copyrights which they would only do if they subscribed to UK rights holders (Sky and more recently BT).

Caporegime
I'm far from convinced that the PL are against the 3pm blackout, in fact I'm all but certain that if they had the possibility of opening up another TV slot for every match week, they'd jump at the chance. The PL are desperate to create more slots to broadcast games to boost the value of the rights and 3pm Saturday is just about as perfect as a slot could be for them.

No doubt the FA are against it but ultimately how secure is the law from a legal point of view? Just because the FA or Premier League create a ruling, it doesn't mean it can't be challenged legally.* Also, even from the FA's point of view, how useful is the law anymore? Yes in the 1950's, having this law really did prevent people from watching games at 3pm on a Saturday but we all know that anybody that wants to watch a 3pm game this Saturday has absolutely no problem in doing so.

*Some years back the PL fined a landlady thousands for subscribing to a greek broadcaster and showing PL games in her pub - the PL claimed that the broadcast was copyrighted for use only in Greece. She challenged this in the courts and the charge against her was overturned as you couldn't legally copyright something on a territory by territory basis. Ultimately this case did prevent all pubs from subscribing to foreign satellite companies (legally) as it was found that pubs required the PL's permission to broadcast their copyrights which they would only do if they subscribed to UK rights holders (Sky and more recently BT).

If it were an option they'd be showing it at 3pm but they won't want to get the English FA against them at the moment.

Don
OP
If it were an option they'd be showing it at 3pm but they won't want to get the English FA against them at the moment.
I know it's not currently an option but I'm certain that they'll be watching the situation with Eleven Sports with a lot of interest. If there's any chance that the 3pm blackout isn't legally secure, I'm certain that we'll see some sort of compromise when the next lot of rights are sold - a single Saturday 3pm kick-off for example.

Back
Top Bottom