TV Licence Super Thread

Associate
This I didn't know, would've thought if anything, the beeb would have to reveal figures more openly than other broadcasters. Perhaps after the court case...?

Corporation receives 17 times as many objections as their rivals, figures reveal.

• Come after a furious battle by the Corporation to keep the details under wraps
  • They lay bare the level of dissatisfaction over issues such as left-wing bias
  • Flood of complaints means the BBC gets nearly 17 times of other broadcasters

The BBC is inundated by nearly 1,000 complaints every working day, it has emerged.

The shocking figures come against the backdrop of a furious battle by the Corporation to keep details under wraps.

They lay bare the level of dissatisfaction over issues such as left-wing bias, offensive content and inaccuracy.

34983413843_bfca9da15b_z.jpg

The shocking figures come against the backdrop of a furious battle by the Corporation to keep details under wraps

The flood of complaints means the BBC gets nearly 17 times the number sent to Ofcom about all the other TV and radio broadcasters in the UK combined.

The watchdog received 14,959 complaints in the year to October, amounting to 57 every working day.

BBC bosses have defied orders to publish regular details of complaints which would put it on an equal footing with all the other UK broadcasters.

Its refusal has angered Ofcom and campaign groups, who say the BBC must be more transparent.

Yesterday Colin Browne, chairman of lobby group Voice of the Listener and Viewer, added: ‘It is unfair on the licence feepayer that this information is not available. It’s a case of transparency.’

The volume of objections only emerged in the ‘Complaints Framework and Procedures’ section on the BBC website.

The 46-page document is effectively a guide to making complaints about programmes.

It does not specify a timeframe but reveals that the BBC gets more than a million comments and enquiries a year.

Around a quarter are from disgruntled viewers and listeners, meaning an average of 988 complaints every working day.

The Corporation would not give a breakdown but last week Ofcom chief executive Sharon White said three out of ten of the complaints it receives about the BBC centre on bias and inaccuracy.

This month, the watchdog told the Corporation to disclose almost the same level of detail about complaints as Ofcom publishes about other broadcasters.

Channel 4, ITV, Five and Sky disclose complaint numbers and have detailed information about objections to their programmes published every two weeks.

Ofcom also issues full details of any investigations. But the publicly funded BBC insists on keeping that information secret.

Just one figure a month is published on its website, showing the number of complaints for all programmes combined. Ofcom has said the BBC only has to publish exact numbers for programmes with 100 or more objections.

But the Corporation has defied the order, claiming it would be too expensive and time-consuming.

However, BBC bosses will have to obey Ofcom’s order if they want to avoid a major legal battle. Watchdog insiders have made it clear they are prepared to go to court over the matter.

Complaints about other broadcasters can be taken straight to Ofcom. It is the same for newspapers where readers can go to independent regulator IPSO, which routinely discloses the figures.

But complaints about the BBC must be made to the Corporation to be dealt with by bosses.

If the matter has not been resolved, it goes to the BBC board. Ofcom only gets involved if the complainant is unhappy with the board’s investigation.

A BBC spokesman said: ‘Public satisfaction remains high and while we’re already transparent about complaints and publish data every month, complaint levels are often inflated by orchestrated political campaigns.’

Man of Honour
well letters are coming thick and fast after cancelling, telling them why i didn't need a license and filling in the form they asked for. they've ignored all that.
bit concerned though, as in a shared house and worried that someone else will let them in and sign stuff.

Soldato
Hmm might need to read the rules on that... I think if there is a common living area then one licence covers everyone but if all accommodation is self contained then each person watching live broadcast/iPlayer needs one.

Glad I don't need one seeing as the BBC News feels like a political campaigning platform for whatever pet agenda is currently in fashion these days. Not that I disagree with all of the content, I just think it's not their remit. :o

Associate
Someone on twitter tweeted "@tvlicensing can you please stop sending me letters about this I cancelled my license bc I don't want to watch live tv. Netflix is cheaper." to which tvlicensing replied:

"Hi, sorry to hear this. Have you let us know you don't need a TV Licence? You can let us know here: http://tvlicensing.co.uk/noTV"

They told them when they cancelled licence, they even told them on twitter they don't need one, only to be asked "Have you let us know you don't need a TV Licence?"

/facepalm

https://twitter.com/tvlicensingblog/status/923570325614407682

Permabanned
Got a 2nd Email about the petition, seemed to have taken a U turn on last decision.

MPs to debate petitions about the TV Licence fee on Monday 20 November

You’re receiving this email because you signed this petition: “Abolish the TV Licence”.

To unsubscribe from getting emails about this petition: https://petition.parliament.uk/signatures/38587071/unsubscribe?token=QIadtQeuwLBin7aUtbCg

Dear XXX

You recently signed the petition “Abolish the TV Licence”:
https://petition.parliament.uk/petitions/200239

MPs will debate two petitions about the TV Licence fee on Monday 20 November.

The debate will start at 4.30pm. You can watch it at http://www.parliamentlive.tv/Commons. A transcript will be published the following day at hansard.parliament.uk.

You can find out more about the debate here:
http://www.parliament.uk/business/c...rliament-2017/petition-debate-tv-licence-fee/

You can follow the Petitions Committee on Twitter @HoCpetitions

Thanks,
The Petitions team
UK Government and Parliament

You’re receiving this email because you signed this petition: “Abolish the TV Licence”.

To unsubscribe from getting emails about this petition: https://petition.parliament.uk/signatures/38587071/unsubscribe?token=QIadtQeuwLBin7aUtbCg

Soldato
I keep being given letters about needing a TV license, even though I've told them I don't need one (I only have an Xbox and PC)

I recently received a letter to say I'm due to get a visit on the 20th of November.

Any advice?

Permabanned
Bin it and ignore it!

Are the police and DVLA coming to see if your using a unregged car you have hidden out back that is not taxed?

Associate
I keep being given letters about needing a TV license, even though I've told them I don't need one (I only have an Xbox and PC)

I recently received a letter to say I'm due to get a visit on the 20th of November.

Any advice?

Get these regularly, despite them knowing I don't (& won't ever) have a tv.
Just bin it. I've been in on some dates they've claimed they were turning up & they didn't.

P.S. if they do turn up, tell them to sod off. You've already informed them you don't need a licence.

Soldato

Any advice?
Ignore it and don't worry, throw it in the bin with the rest of your junk mail

If they actually appear you can choose to let them in and see if you want but you don't have to, you're well within your rights to just shut the door.

In all likelihood no one will turn up, they'll be delayed by some youtuber arguing with them for 4 hours before they reach you anyway

Soldato
Ignore it and don't worry, throw it in the bin with the rest of your junk mail

If they actually appear you can choose to let them in and see if you want but you don't have to, you're well within your rights to just shut the door.

In all likelihood no one will turn up, they'll be delayed by some youtuber arguing with them for 4 hours before they reach you anyway

I've checked, and they can't even get into the communal entrance to the flats anyway, so there's no way he can knock on the door

Bit frustrating receiving these letters all the time

Associate
I've checked, and they can't even get into the communal entrance to the flats anyway, so there's no way he can knock on the door

Bit frustrating receiving these letters all the time

Is there no "service" button that posties etc use?
Nothing to stop them using that. That's what they did years ago when I last saw them.

Soldato
Is there no "service" button that posties etc use?
Nothing to stop them using that. That's what they did years ago when I last saw them.

Nope, been having a fight with my estate agents since I moved in trying to get one, since at the moment any time I get a delivery, which is often as I order all of my stuff online, they just say it wasn't delivered. End up having to get a bus to my local sorting office...

But for the first time, it may work in my favour.

Associate
Nope, been having a fight with my estate agents since I moved in trying to get one, since at the moment any time I get a delivery, which is often as I order all of my stuff online, they just say it wasn't delivered. End up having to get a bus to my local sorting office...

But for the first time, it may work in my favour.

Ah, you're not stood at nearest window hour+ before DPD are due eh?
Must just be me ;)

Soldato
Finally bothered to purchase a TV licence recently as I decided I wanted to set my TV and Sky up. I like how whatever day of the month you purchase it they backdate it to the beginning of the month and charge you accordingly. So if if you purchased on the 29th, they'll say it started from the 1st and expect you to renew the 31st of the previous month next year.

When I cancelled my last licence they wouldn't refund me the few months I was cancelling as they claimed they only refund in 3 month batches. An utter disgrace of a company.

Associate
Helen Jones:

"Those who argue against the licence fee find it quite difficult to come up with an alternative, or at least a viable alternative."

Use adverts to pay for your crap, how difficult is that?

"The then Culture, Media and Sport Committee suggested in a previous Parliament that over time we might move to the German model by having a broadcasting levy on every household. That has the merit of being simple and relatively easy to collect, and it would also ensure that those who use only, say, BBC radio or its online services contribute something to their cost. However, it does not get away from the regressive argument."

So basically tax everyone for something, never mind the fact that there's a very large percentage of population that don't use tv & that number is increasing...?

"The problem with suggesting that the BBC should be funded by advertising is that it would be fishing in the same pool as the commercial broadcasters. There is only a limited amount of money available, especially as more advertising moves online, and I very much doubt that the revenue would be there to fund the kinds of programmes we have now. Another important point is that advertisers—quite reasonably, from their point of view—want spots during shows that are guaranteed to be popular, but a public sector broadcaster such as the BBC has to do more than that; it has to be free to experiment and to produce programmes for minority interests. That broad sweep of BBC programmes is probably the reason why 95% of people in this country watch it at some point or another. Indeed, despite the competition, it is still the largest media provider for adults, including, very surprisingly, young adults."

So charge the firms more for their adverts, it's not like they can't afford it. You're more than willing to force public to pay over the top for this tax...

She clearly brought this forward, but seems like she's in full support of the beeb & its taxes...

"Some £162 million was spent on collection in 2014, despite the fact that the licence fee remained static between 2010 and 2016. Evasion is running at between 6.2% and 7.2%. That costs the rest of us between £250 million and £290 million a year. Because of that, there are people who argue quite passionately that not paying the licence fee should be decriminalised. I thought long and hard about this before coming to the debate. I think, on balance, that I would not support that, because it is simply likely to increase evasion. Indeed, when David Perry QC reviewed this, he said that it

“carries the risk of an increase in evasion and would involve significant cost to the taxpayer and those who pay the licence fee.”

I do not want people who do pay their dues to be penalised because of those who do not. People who worry about the criminalisation of not paying the licence fee are often more worried about sentencing for it, which is a different issue. I do not—nor, I suspect, does anyone else—want to see very poor people jailed for not paying their licence fee."

Yep, she's a supporter big time.

Someone else said "We should also be mindful of the fact that the licence fee works out at about 40p a day, which I believe is about the same price as a copy of The Sun—I will leave the analogy there."

Not a good analogy haha, basically saying you have to pay for something that some areas of blighty are trying to get banned :p

Just scanned over the rest as got to head out. Nothing's going to change it seems.

Man of Honour
So charge the firms more for their adverts, it's not like they can't afford it. You're more than willing to force public to pay over the top for this tax...

Wouldn't work - the rates tend to be set the other way around in reality and there is no shortage of businesses that are happy to take their money and do what they want.

Soldato

Surely forcing the companies to pay even more adverts would end up decreasing the revenue as more looked to alternatives (better bang for buck)?

Back
Top Bottom