TV Licence Super Thread

Soldato
Finally bothered to purchase a TV licence recently as I decided I wanted to set my TV and Sky up. I like how whatever day of the month you purchase it they backdate it to the beginning of the month and charge you accordingly. So if if you purchased on the 29th, they'll say it started from the 1st and expect you to renew the 31st of the previous month next year.

When I cancelled my last licence they wouldn't refund me the few months I was cancelling as they claimed they only refund in 3 month batches. An utter disgrace of a company.

I pay yearly and then let it lapse until the 1st of the next month (or longer) and start it again, rather than renew. That way you get the full 12 months and it's to short a time for them to start "investigating" it :D

But yea, it's a legalized scam. I'm not going to pay it this year.

They take it as a household tax in Germany, but loads of people still don't pay it. They use constant delay tactics and loopholes to get out of it.

Last edited:
Commissario
Wouldn't work - the rates tend to be set the other way around in reality and there is no shortage of businesses that are happy to take their money and do what they want.
Aye, at the moment it's common for most broadcasters to do "free" slots because there are so many channels that the advertisers can't/won't pay to use all the slots.
So the advertisers might pay for the best slots (X factor etc), but then get freebies for the repeats and a lot of the daytime stuff.

When someone says about the BBC going ad funded I tend to remember that during every consultation about the BBC's funding the commercial broadcasters tend to have their responses as "no advertising for the BBC, please", as it would kill many of the smaller channels and seriously hurt ITV, C4 and C5.

Man of Honour
the remit needs to be chopped down, and then taxed through the big black tax pot, i do not agree with their assessment of why that would not work.
in the meantime, the bit I don't like that they never talk about, is the strong handed, intimidating, misleading route they go down for people how do not pay.
They could at least address that even if the rest isn't going to change.
Should be a simple internet request like to sorn a car, no inspectors, no threatening missleading letters etc.

Permabanned
Same as this thread, if you do not pay it you are a "Freeman of the Land" lol instead of a peep who simply does not watch or record live TV period as it is crap.

He was never going to win that argument as they want this TAX paid by all.

Soldato
They were supposed to visit me on the 6th November but no one has turned up as I checked my CCTV. :D

10 years without a licence here.

Always love it though when the goons do turn up and they look up at the chimney stack for an aerial or look up for a Sky dish, like that is going to prove anything, They been there 20 years+.

Soldato
Signed up on the website that I don't watch TV, because I don't watch TV, only use TV for streaming via PC. They can come all they want to my place, but I am not signing anything or letting anyone in.

Permabanned
I had taken a TV license when they changed the rules to cover iPlayer.
But in truth I've barely used it since. It's very poor value for money compared to something like Amazon Prime or Netflix.
I watched that debate, and I also have been very annoyed at the BBC lately for their bias.
I have made various complaints to them, they haven't improved.
So I've cancelled my license, and I'm never going back.
Your move, BBC.

Man of Honour
I watch the BBC News and occasionally something on iplayer on my daily train commute. That's it. I'm really consider cancelling my license and watching another news channel (I only watch BBC News through habit). I already have Netflix and occasionally Amazon Prime to download for commuting entertainment.

I just don't get decent value from it. The programmes are generally poor nowadays and their news is certain no less biased than private news channels.

Permabanned
If you watch another live news channel you are obligated to buy a licence.

I wonder if is the same case for say a Nvidia launch that is live on Twitch or such that many here will have watched (seen the threads).

Man of Honour
If you watch another live news channel you are obligated to buy a licence.

I wonder if is the same case for say a Nvidia launch that is live on Twitch or such that many here will have watched (seen the threads).
If I watch Sky News with a Sky subscription then I still have to pay a TV license? I am a sad puppy :(

Permabanned
You are watching or can record a live signal so yes unfortunately due to current BS laws.

To add to my above I wonder if watching Sky New live on YouTube after say a shooting ion London means license needed also.

Since its a TV station I would guess yes but to the Nvidia Twitch launch etc no clue unless BBC move the goalposts yet again like they did with iplayer (but they own it to be fair).

Soldato
If I watch Sky News with a Sky subscription then I still have to pay a TV license? I am a sad puppy :(
Depends how you define 'have to'. You're meant to but nothing will happen if you don't, unless you're daft enough to incriminate yourself by admitting it to TVL

Permabanned
If you have a Virgin Cable TV sub or a Sky Sub right now you can watch or recorded a live channel so need license whether you actually watch it or not.

Back
Top Bottom