TV Licence Super Thread

Caporegime
If you watch another live news channel you are obligated to buy a licence.

I wonder if is the same case for say a Nvidia launch that is live on Twitch or such that many here will have watched (seen the threads).

apparently only if it is being broadcast on "TV" at the same time

(though IMO it is a reasonable point to raise... what exactly is "TV" when the lines become a bit blurred like that... it isn't just terrestrial and satellite TV but things like BT TV delivered over the net is "TV" or is it?)

Permabanned
Ok so that would answer the Sky News on YouTube after a terror attack etc (only time I watched it in years) part as its on TV same time but I am allowed to watch Nvidia launch Volta on Twitch livestream.

Wonder what would happen if they came around and looked in my windows to see me fapping to a live cam girl, would that be legal or not? :eek:

Soldato
Watching a live Twitch/YouTube stream you don't need a licence. Unless that Twitch/YouTube live stream also happens to be a TV channel broadcasting the same stream over the airwaves in the UK simultaneously.

Caporegime
I wonder what would happen if Netflix, Amazon or youtube bought the exclusive rights to some premier league games - I mean that ostensibly shouldn't need a TV license anymore than the Nvidia launch etc... but the BBC probs wouldn't be happy and there would presumably be calls to change licensing laws again.

Associate
You are watching or can record a live signal so yes unfortunately due to current BS laws.

To add to my above I wonder if watching Sky New live on YouTube after say a shooting ion London means license needed also.

Since its a TV station I would guess yes but to the Nvidia Twitch launch etc no clue unless BBC move the goalposts yet again like they did with iplayer (but they own it to be fair).

Wrong. If you are recording live you need a licence.
Just because you have the ability to record, does not mean that you are recording.

eg: (stretching my point here lol) I have a radio in the kitchen that can receive radio, but it's not been turned on for over a decade. Just because some piece of hardware can do something, does not mean that it's being used in that way.

Associate
If you watch another live news channel you are obligated to buy a licence.

I wonder if is the same case for say a Nvidia launch that is live on Twitch or such that many here will have watched (seen the threads).

Nope, watching twitch, youtube etc live streamers, no licence required.

Associate
Same as this thread, if you do not pay it you are a "Freeman of the Land" lol instead of a peep who simply does not watch or record live TV period as it is crap.

He was never going to win that argument as they want this TAX paid by all.

I couldn't make sense of your post.

Do you really think that people refusing to pay because they don't watch tv, are really just doing it under the guise of freeman of the land? :rolleyes:

/facepalm.

Permabanned
Wrong. If you are recording live you need a licence.
Just because you have the ability to record, does not mean that you are recording.

eg: (stretching my point here lol) I have a radio in the kitchen that can receive radio, but it's not been turned on for over a decade. Just because some piece of hardware can do something, does not mean that it's being used in that way.

Actually its not wrong if you go and look at BBC site, if you have the ability to record live TV you also have the ability to watch it live so example a Cable Sub or Sky Sub so you need a license period (you would cancel like me if you do not watch).

The BBC could argue the fact every TV has a Freeview box and no doubt you have an old Arial on the roof but if its plugged into the TV when they come in and see it your buggered even if you have not watched it in years, some peeps used to detune and unplug in the older days before single connection to source like Scart/HDMI.

Permabanned
I couldn't make sense of your post.

Do you really think that people refusing to pay because they don't watch tv, are really just doing it under the guise of freeman of the land? :rolleyes:

/facepalm.

You really do not read very well that is two of my posts you have **** on.

I was being sarcastic gong by the BS Pro BBC I have read in this thread inc peeps being accused of the above!

Why on earth would I sign the petition and twice post its links here in that case?

Learn to read and get your facts straight please.:rolleyes:

Associate
Actually its not wrong if you go and look at BBC site, if you have the ability to record live TV you also have the ability to watch it live so example a Cable Sub or Sky Sub so you need a license period (you would cancel like me if you do not watch).

The BBC could argue the fact every TV has a Freeview box and no doubt you have an old Arial on the roof but if its plugged into the TV when they come in and see it your buggered even if you have not watched it in years, some peeps used to detune and unplug in the older days before single connection to source like Scart/HDMI.

From tv licence' own site: http://www.tvlicensing.co.uk/check-if-you-need-one

You need to be covered by a TV Licence to

• watch or record live TV programmes on any channel
  • download or watch any BBC programmes on iPlayer – live, catch up or on demand.
This applies to any provider you use and any device, including a TV, desktop computer, laptop, mobile phone, tablet, games console, digital box or DVD/VHS recorder.

Think you don’t need a TV Licence?
  • No TV and not using a computer, laptop, phone or other device to watch live TV on any channel or any BBC programmes on iPlayer?
  • Empty property or unoccupied address?
  • Covered by another licence?

Nowhere here does it state that you have to have a licence for hardware that can record but is not in use. It specifically states you need one to "watch or record..."

You can also have an aerial attached to any device, as long as it's not in use.
Yes, they may try to claim that someone is using it, but that does not mean that it is & is neither proof nor evidence.

Still waiting for your reply about the whole freeman rubbish :p

Associate
You really do not read very well that is two of my posts you have **** on.

I was being sarcastic gong by the BS Pro BBC I have read in this thread inc peeps being accused of the above!

Why on earth would I sign the petition and twice post its links here in that case?

Learn to read and get your facts straight please.:rolleyes:

Then stop posting gibberish & post more legibly so that it's understandable :p

Man of Honour
From tv licence' own site: http://www.tvlicensing.co.uk/check-if-you-need-one

You need to be covered by a TV Licence to

• watch or record live TV programmes on any channel
  • download or watch any BBC programmes on iPlayer – live, catch up or on demand.

Above in your very own copy/paste from the BBC site!

Are you on the sauce this evening?
So if you aren't recording it, what's the issue?

Being capable of recording and actually recording are not the same thing. My PC has a TV card and recording software, but I don't use it and so don't need a licence.

Commissario
So glad I don't pay to fund such a racist organisation.

http://www.w4mpjobs.org/JobDetails.aspx?jobid=63564
Ah that old chestnut.

It's been repeatedly said that they don't have enough representation of certain groups compared to the general population, thus every now and then they do trainee positions specifically for people from those groups.
IIRC there is an issue with people from minorities not feeling they can go into the business in certain areas, so they make the effort to try and encourage people to start directly.

Commissario

Being capable of recording and actually recording are not the same thing. My PC has a TV card and recording software, but I don't use it and so don't need a licence.

IIRC it's if the recorder is connected to a signal source (aerial/dish/cable) as most of them are constantly "receiving" the signal when connected like that, thus need a licence.

Disconnect the signal source and you're fine :)
I think it was settled in court in the 80's along with the arguement over satellite receivers (or was that the early 90's).

Back
Top Bottom