TV Licence Super Thread

Soldato
Again, not entirely true:
I am not seeing the problem. Which bit is not entirely true? A license is only needed if watching live broadcast channels that are also broadcast to TV with the exception being BBC iPlayer. Everything else is ok without a license. Furthermore you don't need a license just because you receive the live broadcast, you only need a license if you watch it.

To give an example I have access to ITV channel via Amazon, I don't watch the live area so I could if I wanted access the rest of the channel without a license.

Not that it really matters as its complicates matters, there are exceptions to live broadcast TV that can be watched without a license. Events of national importance like the upcoming Queen’s Platinum Jubilee can be across from Thursday 2 June to Sunday 5 June 2022 without having a valid license.

Soldato
.. and - if a manufacturer 'donates' products - wonder how kitchen-aid arrived in the (beeb) tent versus a more patriotic brand, like Kenwood (Dyson lol if they sold them)

Adds aren't too onerous on itv/c4, if you are time-shifting you can skip them, unlike streaming services SkyGo/all4 where you are obliged to see a few;

Despite strabuck placement on corrie, I don't believe characters ever use it ? coffee connoisseurs/limited income -even if they can afford to drink in the pub

Soldato
.. and - if a manufacturer 'donates' products - wonder how kitchen-aid arrived in the (beeb) tent versus a more patriotic brand, like Kenwood (Dyson lol if they sold them)

Adds aren't too onerous on itv/c4, if you are time-shifting you can skip them, unlike streaming services SkyGo/all4 where you are obliged to see a few;

Despite strabuck placement on corrie, I don't believe characters ever use it ? coffee connoisseurs/limited income -even if they can afford to drink in the pub
The alternated brands quite a bit when it was on the BBC even the daily mail kicked off about it the year they used Kenwoods, maybe do your research.
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/...tchenAids-replaced-inferior-Kenwood-kMix.html

Soldato
I know that, but what motivated them to select kitchenaid - daily fail; a major would be a more than acceptable alternative.
Boris's crew drives jaguar - because the taxpayer has a vested interest.
Because kitchen aid is the thing avid bakers use, know and love? Everyone I know who is into baking has one or wants one! Did you expect the BBC to invent there own or have 10 different ones in the tent so all brands were recognised!

Associate
I think I qualify for not requiring a TV license, I don't watch live TV, haven't actually watched live TV here for probably 5 years. Bought an OLED last year and honestly don't use it that much. I just watch my collect of films, TV, I go through phases, plenty of time to watch TV in the future. TV license has been cancelled. Do I have to hand myself in to the nearest police station? or just the DAB radio from the kitchen? :) I enjoy some podcasts, but that isn't live..

Soldato
I think I qualify for not requiring a TV license, I don't watch live TV, haven't actually watched live TV here for probably 5 years. Bought an OLED last year and honestly don't use it that much. I just watch my collect of films, TV, I go through phases, plenty of time to watch TV in the future. TV license has been cancelled. Do I have to hand myself in to the nearest police station? or just the DAB radio from the kitchen? :) I enjoy some podcasts, but that isn't live..
Just don't answer or respond to them. They'll keep claiming you're watching TV and send the threatening letters, but basically they can't do anything apart from annoy you.

Reactions: KIA
Associate
Just don't answer or respond to them. They'll keep claiming you're watching TV and send the threatening letters, but basically they can't do anything apart from annoy you.
Yeah I didn't tick the box that says 'I agree for someone to come and check I'm not using a TV license' coz I fundamentally disagree about that witch hunt side of it. I'm not anti BBC, but I am pro not wasting money on something I don't use.

oh yeah and they crowbared that I can't watch Youtube live either. Erm, that would require a computer license - this is a TV license. etc.

Soldato

If you're not sure then just pay it to be on the safe side.

Associate
You can cancel your licence if you no longer:

• watch or record programmes as they’re being shown on TV, on any channel
  • watch or stream programmes live on an online TV service (such as ITV Hub, All 4, YouTube, Amazon Prime Video, Now TV, Sky Go, etc.)
  • download or watch any BBC programmes on BBC iPlayer.

https://www.tvlicensing.co.uk/faqs/FAQ265

I'm not confused by this list.

Strangely had a guy come round last week. Asked me nicely and I explained I tried to uninstall iplauer from TV and we don't watch TV. He said someone else will come and then they will leave us alone for 6 months or wharveer. Was nicer than expected

Associate
Thank you for telling us you don’t need a TV Licence.

I have now cancelled the TV Licence from our records as requested.

We’ve also recorded this on our system and within the next few weeks you’ll receive a letter confirming this and explaining what happens next. 

Please note that if you watch or record live TV programmes on any channel or device, or download or watch BBC programmes on iPlayer you will need to buy a licence.

Thank you for taking the time to contact us.

Yours sincerely,

Lovelesh Jaiswal
TV Licensing

Back
Top Bottom