TV Licence Super Thread

Soldato
The BBC isn't paid by the advertisers.

That's the fundamental misunderstanding when people talk about product placement in BBC shows - it's only product placement if they are paid, which they aren't.

It's just more conspiracy theory BS.
Its a bit more complicated then that with the BBC as they have different rules for different departments. Free gifted items are product placement not only if its paid and BBC have a commercial side and any TV produced by the commercial TV services is allowed product placement. There have been a few debatable slipups but for the most part I was under the impression this is one rule BBC was pretty good at keeping to with the local none commercial TV services sticking to the rules of no product placement.

Soldato
Exactly! Just like this detector vans they go on about.

Haven't got the aerial connected or watched TV in years and they still send letters. Makes me realise it's been a guessing/bluff game all these years.
I'd always assumed they just visit the homes of people without a license and try to catch them out.

Soldato
Its a bit more complicated then that with the BBC as they have different rules for different departments. Free gifted items are product placement not only if its paid and BBC have a commercial side and any TV produced by the commercial TV services is allowed product placement. There have been a few debatable slipups but for the most part I was under the impression this is one rule BBC was pretty good at keeping to with the local none commercial TV services sticking to the rules of no product placement.

after discourse on kitchenaid product use in bbc/c4 cookery programmes - it looks as though there is an exception(loophole?) for the gendre, so it does not constitute product placement, requiring notifying viewer.

Instructional programming – e.g. ‘Make over’ and cookery programmes

Rule 9.12(b) prohibits product placement in consumer advice programmes. However, the Code does permit its use in other programme genres, such as reality programming. Programming that falls within permitted genres may contain information about, or demonstrations of, particular products, such as those relating to cookery, fashion or DIY. If broadcasters wish to include product placement in such programmes, they need firstly to satisfy themselves that the content does not fall into the ‘consumer advice’ category. They should then consider carefully whether their chosen approach is likely to be perceived as promotional. In particular, demonstrations or tasks with positive outcomes predicated on the use of specific brands are likely to be difficult to reconcile with Rule 9.9 of the Code.
bakers sometimes loose or produce failed bakes with kitchenaid so they have negative outcomes too - lol

and appears that bake-off would not require a ProductPlacement emblem V - have never spotted the use of the emblem, but I will look out for them on corrie/starbucks now.

-----

Learned that BBC as part of their woke programming - has Steve Coogan about to play Jimmy Saville - I'm sure BBC will acurately present their role - a further reason to relinquish my license.

Associate
I think CRTs gave off a fair amount of signals which might have been detectable. I made a fuse detector at school back in the day, being within a metre of the TV set it off :) Modern TVs just throw out light which can be viewed through net curtains. Detector vans were probably just a bloke inside with binoculars.

Man of Honour
Since the price of energy went through the roof we have made a point of turning things off at the wall plug rather than just letting them go into standby. So it's more of a faff to turn the TV back on again. We often used to have it on in the background even when not watching it. I realised today that we haven't actually turned the TV on for at least 5 days. If no-one in the family bothers to turn it on soon I think it may be time to cancel the license.

Soldato
The only way to deal with this utter garbage..

TsyrG7T.png

I'm not going to bother telling the BBC I don't need a license this time, and I'll enjoy telling the Capita bullies to **** off when they come knocking :D
Nice! :D I'm still getting a letter saying there's an investigation approved to happen, like the 5th time.

Soldato
And just like the first, I bet it won't happen.
Exactly, not even watching but I detest the fact you have to register and say you're not watching, for them to come "confirm" you aren't.

Also the way they word the letter to insinuate you're breaking the law automatically is another reason to stick two fingers up to them.

Soldato
If the BBC are so confident of their quality content, then make them go subscription only.
I'll give them 6 months before bankruptcy.
I look forward to it :D
Your optimistic :p. I reckon after a month they'd have to start selling off assets. What I don't get is why they pay these presenters so much. Surely maybe 50k is a reasonable salary not the stupid amounts some of them are getting.

Soldato
BBC is now trying to metamorphosise into wokeflix with its diversion of funds to BBC3 content , if it succeeds, the adults will want to leave.
noughts&crosses, conversations with friends (another Sally rooney sexploit - heard review last night) ... and don't mention the new Doctor (F1?) Who

Back
Top Bottom