TV Licence Super Thread

Soldato
Not 100% on that tbh - not watched TV for about 9 years now; so cannot recall what you need to do. I presume it might be a bit like road tax - if you paid the year and cancel it, you get back the remaining months...
You do, cancelled ours and a refund of the DD came back of the remaining months. This was about 3 years ago though but it shouldn't have changed much.

Soldato
Better than now I think though I'd prefer a hybrid approach where everyone chips in via council tax for the public service element and the high end stuff is paywalled.
By "high end stuff" you mean things like Strictly Come Dancing? No idea why this needs to be publicly funded.

Soldato
Yes Strictly Come Dancing is a wildly successful entertainment show... Just because you don't like it doesn't make it not relevant. The stated mission is to inform, educate and entertain.
It's not that I don't like it, it's that it should not be the job of the Government to entertain. Taxes should be used for schools, fire service, street lights etc, not paying celebs to dance for entertainment, it's just not needed in the modern era.

Associate
Got an email saying my licence is up for renewal. Won’t be renewing this year since I got rid of sky. Netflix, Disney and Prime are working out so far.

Associate
Another letter and yet again it is going into the "Final Stage" as I have been "Ignoring" the previous letters???

I am now getting excited every time the doorbell rings but it is never their salesman....

Soldato
But the Government has been entertaining the public for centuries using tax funds, so why should it change now? :confused:
I'm not sure if you're asking a genuine question or you're making a remark about the ineptitude of Government being entertaining, but if you're serious: The internet, that's why. Now with widespread high speed internet, the way people consume entertainment has changed. TV viewership continues to drop whilst video on demand consumption increases. Not to mention if you still want to watch TV, then there are plenty of broadcasters to choose from who fund their own services, there simply isn't a need for the Government to do this.

Permabanned
Maybe it’s time the BBC just shut down completely. BBC has lost the war and taken over by other services.

Nobody wants to pay for something they don’t have to, obv.

Has any of you had an outcome from the reports of abuse by them?

Anyone?….

Anyone?....

no? thought not. :p

Back
Top Bottom