TV Licence Super Thread

Don
So many tv Licence dodgers on these forums :eek:
Anyway why don't the bbc just encrypt the tv licence and iplayer, don't pay you don't get simple:)

I'm not dodging anything, neither are the vast majority of the other posters, I don't have an aerial and I dont watch live TV, ergo I don't need a TV license and subsequently I declare it to them as such :)

Soldato
I object to paying TVL just for the likes of Clarkson to go on his jolleys talking carp about cars that aren't the latest super duper BMW or whatever.

Soldato
I don't pay one, haven't done for years. My first student place had it included in the rent but when we switched house we figured we'd cheapskate it (watch it but not pay). Turns out we never ended up watching it anyway and the tv was only ever used for playing xbox and watching films from the computer/laptop.

I absolutely disagree with their business model and think their business practices can be terrible if you get the wrong person call round. After 2 years of not having any letters or anything housemate moved out and took his tv with him. I went and bought myself a new tv to put in the lounge and 2 weeks later we had a knock at the door.

TVL guy: "i'm calling round because we've detected you using a tv set in your house to watch television"
Me: "Not possible, when did this happen?"
TVL guy: "you were caught watching it 2 weeks ago...."

When i asked if i was caught watching or if they'd obtained my details when i bought the tv he wasn't sure how to answer. Checked the tv and despite not even being in the same room as an aerial socket he marked it as "unable to verify". Clearly a grumpy sod but not reflective of the TVL as a whole.

Now i'm at a new house and the letters are addressed 'to the occupier' so i find it easier to just bin the letters, or open them and read the empty threats if i want a giggle. If anybody comes to the door i'll turn them away.... unless its raining as they can have a cuppa if it is.

On a side note though, after not having tv for so long if i visit any friends/family and the tv is on i find tv adverts to be the most bizarre thing. They're so weird!

Soldato
When I moved in about six months ago I notified them that I didn't need a licence (I have a PC & PS4 hooked up to my projector, so netflix/prime/nowtv & hard copies of films).

Haven't heard a peep from them at all, no letters - phone-calls or visits after the initial one thanking me for letting them know.

Associate
How much does a BBC TV licence cost?

The cost for a full colour BBC TV Licence for one year is currently £145.50 - equivalent to paying £12.12/month. You can opt to pay for a BBC TV Licence in quarterly, monthly or weekly instalments as well as up front. If you paid for your license on a monthly on an annual basis, over a period of 57 years throughout your adult life, you'll have blown £8,293.50 -- enough to buy a small family car.

If the idea of not paying the BBC licence fee appeals then read on to find out how you can go about not paying as well as what you will and won’t be able to (legally) watch.

I’d like to save £8,000. How do I opt out?

The first thing you’ll need to do is tell BBC TV Licensing, the body that keeps track of who has a licence, and tell them that you’re opting out. Doing this will see TV Licensing update its database, meaning you won’t get any of the letters that are mailed out to unlicenced addresses.

On the BBC TV Licensing website there is an online declaration form you can fill in.

I've opted out. Now what?

Don’t forget to cancel any Direct Debits you might have set up for monthly and quarterly payments. If you cancel midway through the license period, you're entitled to claim back any money you've already spent.

Once you’ve opted out, you’ll receive confirmation from BBC TV Licensing that you’re not on their records. You’ll be contacted again in two years to see if you're still not watching live TV. If you are, then prepare to face the consequences - a fine of up to £1,000 and the possibility of earning a criminal record.

Can I keep my TV?

Yes. Contrary to what the name suggests, you don’t need a BBC licence to own a television. In other words, you’re free to use your TV to watch DVDs, Blu-rays, play games or access catch-up services like BBC iPlayer and 4oD.

What can I watch instead?

OK, so you’ve cut the cord. You’re free. Congratulations.

As we said above, you can watch BBC content on iPlayer, provided it’s not live. This includes most of the programmes you’d get on BBC One, BBC Two, BBC Three, BBC Four, CBBC and CBeebies.

Note that content which the BBC doesn’t own the rights to stream online won’t be available. One of the most obvious examples is Family Guy on BBC Three. BBC iPlayer is not a perfect facsimile of BBC’s TV broadcast output.

You’re also free to watch content hosted on sites like BBC News and BBC Sport, provided it’s catch-up only and not live.

Likewise, you’re free to watch content from ITV1-4 and CITV on the ITV Player plus Channel 4, E4, More4, Film4, 4Music on 4oD, provided that you’re catching up. The same goes for Channel 5 content that’s being streamed on Demand 5.

The legal rule of thumb is, if it’s live and you’ve not got a licence, you can’t watch it. Pretty much everything else is fair game -- even without a licence.......(simply do not speak to strangers at your door, definitely do not give them personal information, you're asking for trouble by doing this!)

Technically, there’s nothing physically stopping you from watching live streams on these services. BBC and Channel 4 servers won’t magically shut their doors because it's unlikely those services can tell whether you have a license or not.

While streaming live TV sans-licence is illegal, BBC TV Licensing inspectors would need to prove you are doing it when they come to call.

The most recent Game of Thrones season was streamed live on Now TV at the same time as the show was broadcast on Sky Atlantic. Victorian horror-noir fright fest Penny Dreadful is also being simulcast live on Now TV. Provided you’re happy to pay the £5 monthly fee for a Now TV Entertainment pass and your broadband connection can handle it, there’s nothing to stop you from watching live TV this way.

If you’re a football fan, then you’re free to watch live games with a Sky Sports Day Pass on Now TV (£9.99 for 24 hours).

Anything else?

Then there’s Netflix, Prime Instant Video, Blinkbox, YouTube, Google Play, iTunes not to mention a whole Internet full of torrent indexes and file sharing sites -- if you’ve got a relaxed attitude towards the law and the whole creators of TV shows and movies getting paid thing.

You can have a Roku 3, Apple TV or a Chromecast plugged into your TV and you can be streaming BBC catch-up content without needing a licence.

You can watch Channel 4 shows on your laptop, or watch ITV content on your games console and Channel 5 shows on your phone.

Hopefully you’ve got the idea. If it’s not live, you’re free to stream it.

To recap, here’s what you can do, legally and above board, without a TV Licence.

Can I watch any live TV without a BBC licence?

What you definitely can stream live without the threat of legal action hanging over your head is content from services like Now TV.

Use your TV as a monitor
Watch BBC iPlayer, ITV Player, 4oD and Demand 5 (catch-up only) on whatever device you want
Access BBC websites, including video streamed from BBC News and BBC Sport (except live streams)
Listen to BBC Radio
Stream live TV content on Now TV
Stream content from Netflix, Prime Instant Video, Wuaki.tv, Blinkbox, Google Play, iTunes or any service of your choosing

Aside from that, we suggest tuning in to 'outside' which is currently being broadcast free to air. Books from your local library (if you still have one) are also free, as is fresh air and sunlight.

Soldato
He'll be one of those that assumes anyone who says they don't need one, or objects to the notion of one, is just a dodger trying to make themselves feel just in dodging it.

Not true, i pay mine and just try to get on with my life simple really, i couldn't be bothered door knocking from the collectors, i have enough problems to deal with in life without adding to them:(

Soldato
Not true, i pay mine and just try to get on with my life simple really, i couldn't be bothered door knocking from the collectors, i have enough problems to deal with in life without adding to them:(

I paid mine for 8 years and hardly watched any live TV.. I now only stream, don't have the ability to receive a signal other than from the net and cancelled my licence 8 months ago. I'll happily tell someone at the door that I don't watch TV and let them see my setup. It's much better than paying £145 a year just to avoid the 'hassle'..

Soldato
I would be wholly unsurprised to learn that there is some sort of secret tick box on an inspectors form whereby if you're polite, let them in, see there is no receiving facility and you just watch DVDs etc, they'll write you off for a few years but if you're a pain in the bum, want to exercise your rights just because you can and you shouldn't have to answer to someone else etc. etc. they line you up for even more letters and visits, just to annoy you even more as payback.

It's always the people who feel the need to 'fight back' that seem to have the problems with letters never stopping, visits keep happening etc. :p

Soldato
Why should I let them in to check my equipment, there is no law saying I have to. TVL goons are paid on commission on how many licences they can sell at the door (or in your living room if you let them in). They will try anything to try and catch you out just so they can get their commission.

Caporegime
It's simply best not to acknowledge them and don't answer the door, why waste your time and have some stranger come into your residence to inspect your TV's?

Because the decision to encrypt or not is not theirs, and it would utterly defeat the idea of a PSB:)

I'm sorry but you can't broadcast unencrypted data and then harass people who tune into it. It's one or the other, if you want a paid service then encrypt it like Sky.

Soldato
When I moved in about six months ago I notified them that I didn't need a licence (I have a PC & PS4 hooked up to my projector, so netflix/prime/nowtv & hard copies of films).

Haven't heard a peep from them at all, no letters - phone-calls or visits after the initial one thanking me for letting them know.

Same here. WHen I first moved in I filled out the form online saying I didn't need one, and then I think it was a month later I received a letter confirmation that I wouldn't be having one and they would follow in 6 months.

Almost 8 months later and im still waiting for that follow up - doesn't bother me as I don't watch live TV and don't have anything connected to an aerial etc

Caporegime
Film everything on your mobile, be smug and act like a 40 something year old unemployed pillock. Swallowing a 1st year law degree book also helps you to fire out random soundbytes of pseudo legal BS.

Soldato
Film everything on your mobile, be smug and act like a 40 something year old unemployed pillock. Swallowing a 1st year law degree book also helps you to fire out random soundbytes of pseudo legal BS.

Because first year law degree books are full of pseudo legal BS?

Back
Top Bottom