TV Licence Super Thread

Caporegime
Wow at these responses, you guys would let a strange man from "TVL" run by "captia" in your house? better not have any kids around.
If they come to the door, tell them to "go away" in strong words, they have no right to come into your house and have no right to check your TV.

brainwashed.
TV license is nonsense

if virgin or sky came around claiming you're watching their services and you have to prove your not or pay up people would tell them to do one.

why is the bbc any different?

Commissario
brainwashed.
TV license is nonsense

if virgin or sky came around claiming you're watching their services and you have to prove your not or pay up people would tell them to do one.

why is the bbc any different?

Virgin and Sky are commercial entities, not broadcasters set up by the government to provide amongst other things a basic level of news and educational material to the nation.

I can't see VM or Sky for example doing much (any?) of the political programming that the BBC does, or the sort of radio voice programming that helps keep people informed such minor things as the weather, politics, their consumer rights, health issues...

Even things like BBC parliament where the bulk of the content is "free" isn't touched by the commercial sector despite IIRC them having the same access to the proceedings as the BBC do* (and the BBC provides additional information, background and related programming on top of that).

Even the "local" radio stations that exist at the moment in the UK as commercial entities typically seem to be more an Ipod hooked up to a transmitter, and barely cover anything "local" (not even the weather a lot of the time).
So when there is a problem in your area, unless you live in London the chances are your only source of local information on the radio is going to be the BBC.

*I think they even use the BBC output when they want a clip for proceedings, despite them potentially having access to the raw feeds (I think it's cheaper/easier for them to get the BBC broadcast rather than monitor the original materials).

Soldato
TV downstairs is never used

If you own a tv you need a license. Doesnt even have to be a tv, if you own a video recorder and nothing else you need a license as it can receive broadcast signal.

I dont use my shotgun, they still want me to have a license for it :p fairly sure its the same though I would agree tv tax should be scrapped.

I believe theres a £10 discount if you are blind, too kind

Associate
TVL relies on a created perception. They have literally no way of telling if you are watching live TV without actually coming and visually confirming it. The detector vans were proven to be absolute BS years ago, and not one person has ever been convicted due to detector van evidence, this was revealed in a FOI request. Just look back at the old TVL adverts, they are total propaganda and existed to instill a sense of fear in people. Many people who worked for the company years ago revealed that these vans were just empty shells and were there to intimidate 'Non payers'

They rely on fear and intimidation..... some people have these things called principles and dont want their belly tickled by some goon, and as proven by earlier posters, contacting them to tell them you have no need for one......DOESNT WORK, your name gets knocked off the 'Does not need license' list after a certain time and you will get the threatening letters automatically posted out again, in their head you'll eventually start watching TV so we're just going to bully you until you give in.

My home is my castle and I am not gonna let some accusatory mug come into my personal space and touch and mess with my personal stuff. I am not guilty till proven innocent Mr Capita goon. Its on you to prove if I'm watching TV. Which they have never been able to do as I just close the door on them.

Caporegime
No it isn't. Their implied right of access forbids them from sending you letters or trying to visit. They HAVE to comply under law.

I doubt much happens to them if they don't comply - just about every 'freeman' video involves someone mouthing off about their implied right of access being removed yet they've still come up the drive and knocked on the door - I'd be interested if this 'implied right of access' stuff has in any TVL cases actually lead to any action being taken after letters/visits had still occurred in spite of this right of access being removed?

At the moment it seems about as much use as the freeman nonsense - whether it is theoretically correct or not.

Soldato
i had always thought that as long as the equipment was capable of receiving thier signal
then you had to have a tvl guess i was wrong

No different than being in possession of some string and a stick and being chased for a fishing licence.

The best way to deal with it is to just bin the letters.

Soldato
Call them and tell them you don't need a license because you either dont own or watch live TV. They'll say they need to send someone round to check. Tell them you've read about unscrupulous license inspectors tricking people into signing false confessions on these checks and for that reason you want no visits and have removed there assumed right of access to your property for any license inspectors. After informing them youve removed there implied right of access they will be breaking the law if they step foot on you property. Be polite when you speak to them and don't let them intimidate you or scare you with legal hogwash.

I did the above several years ago and can confirm that it will stop all letters, visits and harassment.

Associate
I find the whole thing absolutely mental.

Why would anyone find it acceptable to allow a private corporation access to their home to check that they aren't using a service?

It's a bit different when it's something criminal and the police come to the door. But a company? Lol, gtfo. I wouldn't even entertain them if they did come round.

Soldato
I find the whole thing absolutely mental.

Why would anyone find it acceptable to allow a private corporation access to their home to check that they aren't using a service?

It's a bit different when it's something criminal and the police come to the door. But a company? Lol, gtfo. I wouldn't even entertain them if they did come round.

But..But...It's the law! LOLZ

Man of Honour
Some friends of mine were HORRIFIED that I dared cancel my TV licence. I pay now as I do watch live TV but they couldn't accept that what I was doing was fair or legitimate. Quite funny really how this subject winds people up so much.

Back
Top Bottom