TV Licence Super Thread

Soldato
I haven't had a tv license for 5 years and never had a visit. They send me a letter every couple of years asking if the situation has changed - notify them that you don't want/need a tv license and you won't have any bother.

The harassment is usually when people don't buy a license but also don't notify them that you don't need one.

This.

I invited them in advised them that I did not watch live TV. He declined and left.

Each time I get a letter asking if my situation has changed a quick courtesy call advising them no and they leave you alone.

Simples. Anyone who likes to play the hardball series of letters game deserves a fine IMO even if they do not watch live TV

Commissario
It's simply best not to acknowledge them and don't answer the door, why waste your time and have some stranger come into your residence to inspect your TV's?

I'm sorry but you can't broadcast unencrypted data and then harass people who tune into it. It's one or the other, if you want a paid service then encrypt it like Sky.

Complain to the government then.

Except that none of the parties seem to think that ditching the TVL is a good idea :)

It's worth noting that the TVL technically has no intrinsic link to the BBC*, the TVL could go on regardless of if there were any unencrypted broadcasts and the BBC didn't exist (as happens in some countries where the simple ownership of a TV regardless of if it's only used for DVD's is enough to require you to pay).
Or the government could sell off the BBC, have it go subs, and still collect the TVL but instead keep it.

Remember the BBC have to abide by the charter that the government decided on, and that basically says they have to broadcast unencrypted, and more than that, on a non favouring basis across all platforms, so at the moment the only way for them not to broadcast unencrypted would require a change in the charter (which is not in their power).

Likewise the only reason it's the BBC "harassing people" is because the government has decided that the TVL should be collected in a fairly loose and not very well suited method, which used to be done by the post office before the BBC suggested that they could do it cheaper and more effectively using modern methods.

*The BBC (or rather the subsidiary that won the TVL collection contract) doesn't even keep the "TVL", it's collected, paid into a government fund, then the government pays out an agreed amount.

Associate
Took 19 posts until the Freeman of the Land stuff showed up, I'm disappointed.
Actually, you will find that the "removal of implied rights of access" is a law that was passed by Lord Justice Donaldson in the Lambert v Roberts case (1981).
It is a real law, as in common law. It stands higher than any government ACT (legislation), it can not be changed by the government or any legislation, the BBC have to obey it, the government has to obey it.
It has nothing to do with the freeman on the Land beliefs, but credit to them anyway because they were the ones who dug it up for everyone to learn.

Last edited:
Soldato
I've always thought the wording of their letters was a bit off. Implying that you probably are watching TV, so pay up, or you'll be straight in the jail...

Not even sure if my current flat has an aerial socket in it. All TV license letters to "the current occupier" go straight to the recycling.

Associate
Soldato
Always found it funny how TVL send me letters addressed to 'The Occupier' when TVL is run by Capita. Capita run lots of other government collection departments and already have my name and address. Why don't they just cross-check their own databases to find the names of people who don't pay TVL?

Commissario
Always found it funny how TVL send me letters addressed to 'The Occupier' when TVL is run by Capita. Capita run lots of other government collection departments and already have my name and address. Why don't they just cross-check their own databases to find the names of people who don't pay TVL?

Because "Capita" don't have access to the information.

Individual departments of government that utilise Capita as contractors do, but they don't always share it across them (I think it's fairly recently that the government actually started to share data from some benefits with the tax departments, where the data needed to be shared).

As the TVL is collected on behalf of the government, but not "by" the government it would breach various bits of the DPA for the parts of capita that do work for governmental departments that do have the data, to share it with those that don't (Capita will legally have to compartmentalise the information so that people on one contract can't gain accesses to personal information from another).

IIRC what they do do is check the names from publicly available sources to find out what addresses have a TV licence and what ones don't, but as they don't know who lives there it's addressed to "occupier" normally (as that's cheaper).

Of course the easiest way for the government to collect it without the use of a third party would be via HMRC or council tax (with a form to state you don't watch TV, in the same way you have to sign a legal document to state your car isn't used on the road).

Soldato
They come knocking during the day when i am at work, probably hoping to find a stay at home mom with a young children. Won't stop them from asking to come inside though.

Thats exactly the type of people they pray on and prosecute. People who know no better and think they have to allow TVL goon in and think they have to sign the goon's documents rather than just closing the door.

TVL send a press release to the local free newspaper every few months with how many people they have 'caught and fined'. Bet your bottom dollar it is this sort of people.

Soldato
Complain to the government then.

Except that none of the parties seem to think that ditching the TVL is a good idea :)

It's worth noting that the TVL technically has no intrinsic link to the BBC*, the TVL could go on regardless of if there were any unencrypted broadcasts and the BBC didn't exist (as happens in some countries where the simple ownership of a TV regardless of if it's only used for DVD's is enough to require you to pay).
Or the government could sell off the BBC, have it go subs, and still collect the TVL but instead keep it.

Remember the BBC have to abide by the charter that the government decided on, and that basically says they have to broadcast unencrypted, and more than that, on a non favouring basis across all platforms, so at the moment the only way for them not to broadcast unencrypted would require a change in the charter (which is not in their power).

Likewise the only reason it's the BBC "harassing people" is because the government has decided that the TVL should be collected in a fairly loose and not very well suited method, which used to be done by the post office before the BBC suggested that they could do it cheaper and more effectively using modern methods.

*The BBC (or rather the subsidiary that won the TVL collection contract) doesn't even keep the "TVL", it's collected, paid into a government fund, then the government pays out an agreed amount.

They're setting up plans to decriminalise the non-payment of the license fee anyway. Realistically that's almost as good as scrapping it.

Soldato
Guaranteed to attract more attention/letters/visits and possibly a warrant accompanied by the police.

Bin all correspondence, don't answer the door, don't engage with them in any way, give them nothing. The letters will likely continue. The visits will not.

No it isn't. Their implied right of access forbids them from sending you letters or trying to visit. They HAVE to comply under law.

The police are typically not interested in helping them execute a warrant either, they are simply there to keep the peace should they need to be.

They might not let you know this, but if it comes to it, they will not enforce or assist in the execution of the warrant, so really it's not worth the paper it's printed on if you staunchly refused them entry anyway.

Soldato
We moved into a rented property, didn't set up a TV license as we don't watch live TV (just streaming TV/films/etc.). We submitted the form to say we don't need a license.

We still got a couple of snotty sounding letters from them, and then last week a guy showed up to inspect. He was polite enough, so I let him in, and showed him the TV doesn't have any channels set up. He thanked me and left swiftly.

Not too much hassle to get them to shut up. Far easier than having constant threats/letters/inspections to turn away!

Soldato
Keep it simple. Bin the letters, if a bloke shows up then just show him you're not using the TV and job done.

People make far too much drama out of this kind of thing.

Soldato
Wow at these responses, you guys would let a strange man from "TVL" run by "captia" in your house? better not have any kids around.
If they come to the door, tell them to "go away" in strong words, they have no right to come into your house and have no right to check your TV.

Man of Honour
Making TV license cost a little more to makeup for all the chasing they have to do when people could just say "I don't use it, don't need it"

Probably only a fraction of a penny or a couple of pennies at the most per license, but still it will be factored into running costs.

Caporegime
People just love to moan and be one upping "the man" when its so easy to opt out online... I think the majority of moaners are the ones using the service for free. Normal people that don't use/watch live TV just opt out without the BS and drama.

Soldato
People just love to moan and be one upping "the man" when its so easy to opt out online... I think the majority of moaners are the ones using the service for free. Normal people that don't use/watch live TV just opt out without the BS and drama.

I did opt out online, I still get the letters. We do not watch broadcast TV, its all garbage. Their disgrace of a business should not be my problem.

Or just go online and tell them you don't need one? You don't even have to give them your name. :confused:

Actually, the online form does ask for 'your name' you just dont have to legally give it. Like most things TVL, they try to trick you in to giving it.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom