TVs and going obsolete

Soldato
So I've got an OLED TV (BX mind you) and when I'm thinking of the tv, it's got lots of great things, excellent colour, 4k, HDR, quality black levels, 55", HDMI 2.1, 120Hz.

When would a TV like that really be obsolete? The only justification I can see to upgrade in the future would be if I were to move and the room needed a bigger TV, but to be fair every house I've looked at a 55" seems more than adequate.

Every year LG brings a new TV out, as does all manufacturers, and their media just screns buy me, and can easily make someone want to buy the TV.

Soldato
Are you bored much? Mine gets replaced when it dies, I need something bigger, or if something amazing tech wise comes out, but don't see anything above 4k going mainstream for a very long time

Soldato
It'll be at whatever point the technology realistically improves your experience - this should in theory be a bit longer for an OLED like that, assuming it doesn't suffer any burn in from your usage patterns, which for most people probably won't be an issue.

There will come a point though where it gets outperformed by a competing tech - there are still issues inherent with OLED that many would like to see resolved - stutter for example, is a big drawback for OLED tech for those who notice it.

It's an interesting question because i think for many consumers, they can't really imagine how they'd better their current tech until someone shows them - go back and look at this forum 10 or 15 years ago and there was probably people asking 'when is this Pioneer Kuro ever really going to become obsolete?'

Man of Honour
When would a TV like that really be obsolete?
When it can no longer handle the latest standards, surely?

...their media just screns buy me, and can easily make someone want to buy the TV.
Really? You're quite easily lead then by the guess of it. Don't worry, you're not alone.

I see people making TV choices based on which apps the set supports. IMO that's akin to choosing a car because the radio. Most of the time though it's simply the desire for a bigger and brighter screen.

Other than 8K, and perhaps wider support for DolbyVision and VRR, there's not much happening to shake up the TV market at the moment.

Soldato
So I've got an OLED TV (BX mind you) and when I'm thinking of the tv, it's got lots of great things, excellent colour, 4k, HDR, quality black levels, 55", HDMI 2.1, 120Hz.

When would a TV like that really be obsolete? The only justification I can see to upgrade in the future would be if I were to move and the room needed a bigger TV, but to be fair every house I've looked at a 55" seems more than adequate.

Every year LG brings a new TV out, as does all manufacturers, and their media just screns buy me, and can easily make someone want to buy the TV.

Some people get sucked in every year by new gimmicky features or slight improvements on the previous years TV from the same lineup or by fancy new names they call things, but really its the same tech with minor improvements.

I normally buy a new TV when new tech comes along, but I do like to keep the current TV for at least 4-5 years before i even think about buying a new one.

I went from a B6 to the CX, so 4 years between them, it was decent jump, for hdmi 2.1, and all the gaming features alone.

I will now hold until new tech comes along and by the time I'm ready hopefully its matured enough, Im guessing miniLED or whatever its called is the next big thing?

The ones that buy a new tv every year must have money to burn. Just don't see the point how can you get enjoyment out of your current set when you already thinking of the next one.

Soldato
Yeah, depends on the person really. Some people just want new technology and therefore upgrade every time something new comes out.

I had a lg oledB7, nothing wrong with it and could have stretched it out longer if I wanted, but as I chose to upgrade my Sonos Playbar to the ARC, it felt right to do the TV as well to take full advantage of earc etc.

I want a minimum of 5 years however out of my arc and cx, but hoping it might be closer to the 10 year mark. Can't really see how they can make the picture quality any better and I am more than happy with the sound. So unless something drastic comes along or 8k content becomes readily available, I'll try stretch these devices to the max.

Soldato
Im guessing miniLED or whatever its called is the next big thing?

In the typically confusing world of AV, the 'next big thing' is MicroLED, which is more like OLED in theory - self illuminating & black blacks, but there is also a tech on the way called MiniLED, which is pretty much current full array LED backlighting tech for LCD but with smaller LEDs and more dimming areas.

I'm sure this won't be exploited at all by manufacturers trying to convince people to buy MiniLED.

Soldato
In the typically confusing world of AV, the 'next big thing' is MicroLED, which is more like OLED in theory - self illuminating & black blacks, but there is also a tech on the way called MiniLED, which is pretty much current full array LED backlighting tech for LCD but with smaller LEDs and more dimming areas.

I'm sure this won't be exploited at all by manufacturers trying to convince people to buy MiniLED.

MicroLED that's the one I meant, yes all very confusing. :D

Soldato
I've a 55inch oled in my bedroom. I'll replace it likely 2023 with at least a 65 inch (only real reason to upgrade it) Lounge tv is a 55 inch also but the proximity of my bedroom tv to my position is more enjoyable.

Soldato
When microled gets really cheap. The downside of OLED is that burn in will get you long before that miraculous technological leap occurs.

Soldato
I struggled through with only full HD for the last 10 years until I got an LGC9 last year. And that was only because the previous TV, at 10 years old, developed a buzz from the cooling fans.
That said, I was utterly blown away by how good the picture is on the new TV. But I would expect this one to go down the same route - kept until it breaks.

Back
Top Bottom