TVs and going obsolete

Soldato
Again no need for the attitude, Its differing view ponits not right/wrong. Oleds are well over saturated for me just re,read what i wrote rather than taking it personally that somone disagrees. Ive zero burn in years down the line.

While not calibrated to the absolute T, they come well calibrated out of the box. At least they do on the premium OLEDs. I'm sure RTINGs review will back this.

Soldato
What's this old stutter, is it just an issue with certain framerates as I can't say I've noticed any with my c9, although it's mostly used for pc gaming (hdr goodness) and netflux/prime.

It's mostly noticeable on 24hz stuff, it's a result of OLED having near instant pixel response time, i think rtings had a reasonable article explaining it. OLEDs consistently score badly in their reviews for stutter.

edit - from their C9 review:

Frame Hold Time @ 24 fps
39.3 ms
Frame Hold Time @ 60 fps
14.3 ms

Due to the nearly instantaneous response time, 24p motion can appear to stutter, as each frame is held static onscreen for nearly the entire time. This can be especially noticeable in slow panning shots when watching movies.

If this effect bothers you, you can either enable the TV's OLED Motion feature, which can help a bit, or enable the C9's motion interpolation feature.

Soldato
Do TV’s really become obsolete? As long as they can be connected to devices and show a decent picture, to me they’re not obsolete.

I’m slowly dragging my neighbours in the 21st century by introducing them to HD. In the last 2 years I’ve replaced an Olympic swimming pool’s worth of scart cables. Quite a few of them had 1080i capable flatscreens and satellite receivers with HDMI connectivity, but kept using their old scart cables. The look on their elderly faces when a €5 HDMI cable and a minute checking a couple of system menus gives them a huge increase in picture quality is priceless.

Still find an old CRT connected with phono leads every once in a while...

Soldato
It's mostly noticeable on 24hz stuff, it's a result of OLED having near instant pixel response time, i think rtings had a reasonable article explaining it. OLEDs consistently score badly in their reviews for stutter.

Frame Hold Time @ 24 fps
39.3 ms
Frame Hold Time @ 60 fps
14.3 ms

Due to the nearly instantaneous response time, 24p motion can appear to stutter, as each frame is held static onscreen for nearly the entire time. This can be especially noticeable in slow panning shots when watching movies.

If this effect bothers you, you can either enable the TV's OLED Motion feature, which can help a bit, or enable the C9's motion interpolation feature.
I had a quick Google after posting, I guess playing games is why I've not noticed it as much.

Jez

Jez

Caporegime
I must be the least sensitive "enthusiast" ever as i genuinely like the old picture of a plasma. Sadly i only have a couple of old LG Plasmas left due to the sheer age of them (and one of them is a sparkly (dots all over the image) mess in one of the kids playrooms, so i am due to bin that very soon).

For me a plasma was as close as "flat" display ever got to the smooth cinematic look a little like a CRT produces (minus the flicker). Personally i find my newer LCD 4K TV rather harsh by comparison, not that i notice when you actually watch the programme rather than noticing the image as such. The look of a plasma to me is slightly similar to the look (and the reason that i do) run my projector very very slightly out of focus, to smooth the image.

Soldato

Frame Hold Time @ 24 fps
39.3 ms
Frame Hold Time @ 60 fps
14.3 ms

I have noticed the telecine judder, however I have to say its very subtle in my case and a minor niggle at best.

My previous Samsung F8000 was more noticeable.

Soldato
I have noticed the telecine judder, however I have to say its very subtle in my case and a minor niggle at best.

My previous Samsung F8000 was more noticeable.

Judder is slightly different, that's caused by the mismatch between refresh rates 24hz vs 30/60/120hz.

Comparatively, rtings rate the C9 10/10 for Judder performance

24p Judder
Judder-Free 24p
Yes
Judder-Free 24p via 60p
Yes
Judder-Free 24p via 60i
Yes
Judder-Free 24p via Native Apps
Yes

The LG C9 is able to play 24p content without judder, regardless of the source.

See our recommended settings to remove judder here.

When the TV's BFI mode is enabled, there's always judder with 24p content.

Soldato
You can have my 32" HD "Ready" TV I have up in the loft if you like, 720p and bezels bigger than the screen :D

My old Hannspree was like that. I bought it around 15 years ago and it was a bargain of the time if i remember. My parents still had a 27" CRT in the sitting room so i felt very superior! It then went to various houses i lived in with mates, and when i moved in with my wife i left it with them. As they grew up and bought houses one of them actually took it with them and i think it's still in his spare room :D

Soldato
I replaced my 8 year old 1080p LCD with a 55CX last month.

There's nothing feature wise that would ever make me upgrade. Resolution, refresh rate, IQ....it's not going to be noticeably bettered...beyond spec sheet top trumps.

If you're the sort of person that itches to upgrade every year, you'll find a reason to do it....each to their own.

Associate
Are you bored much? Mine gets replaced when it dies, I need something bigger, or if something amazing tech wise comes out, but don't see anything above 4k going mainstream for a very long time

8K panels are here, and mainstream is on the horizon. I can see 8K panels being "mainstream" within 5 years personally.

Soldato
8K panels are here, and mainstream is on the horizon. I can see 8K panels being "mainstream" within 5 years personally.

Personally, I don't. 1080 > 4k was a huge bump in clarity. 4k > 8k is an insane bump in bandwidth required for not a lot more clarity in most use cases. It was 2012 when the first 4k TV's started to surface, and 4k is still far from mainstream now.

Soldato
I'm another one still using a 42'' Panasonic plasma from 2009.

Modern OLEDs and even LCDs are obviously far superior in many ways but when they aren't there to compare with, the plasma still looks fine today.

I imagine it will be the same for OLEDs in 10 years time. I can't see technology moving on enough that picture will look significantly worse than what's available.

Soldato
So I've got an OLED TV (BX mind you) and when I'm thinking of the tv, it's got lots of great things, excellent colour, 4k, HDR, quality black levels, 55", HDMI 2.1, 120Hz.

When would a TV like that really be obsolete? The only justification I can see to upgrade in the future would be if I were to move and the room needed a bigger TV, but to be fair every house I've looked at a 55" seems more than adequate.

Every year LG brings a new TV out, as does all manufacturers, and their media just screns buy me, and can easily make someone want to buy the TV.
My pioneer 50" Kuro plasma in my living room is about 14 years old and the picture is still pretty good.
Yes it not up todays OLED picture levels but it still great for just being used for a Living room TV :)

Am hoping my 2 year old Sony 65" AF9 OLED is going to last around the same amount of time (or am hoping i get at lest 10 years out of it ;))

Last edited:
Soldato
Do TV’s really become obsolete? As long as they can be connected to devices and show a decent picture, to me they’re not obsolete.
Think the only time that really happens is like when they change connections like going from 21 pin Scart sockets to HDMI inputs etc

The same with PC monitors going from Component connections > VGA > DVI > Displayport > Etc

Soldato
Think the only time that really happens is like when they change connections like going from 21 pin Scart sockets to HDMI inputs etc

The same with PC monitors going from Component connections > VGA > DVI > Displayport > Etc
Is say its the other bits that go obsolete for those reasons. Vhs player for instance, if all they could output was start or composite, you'd struggle to connect it these days.

Soldato
Still rocking my Sony Bravia KDL-55W905A 1080p TV. Got it 7 years ago. For picture quality in my eyes it's still great. I don't have a ps5 or anything else 4k and can't see myself upgrading unless this TV goes faulty. I can't even say I've really paid much attention to 4k bar a few seconds walking past a TV shops windows.

Back
Top Bottom