***TWO VERY SPECIAL MONITORS: HAZRO HZ27 Series!**

Associate
Is there anyone else with a Nvidia Graphics Card noticing that some of the NVIDIA Control Panel options no longer work when using the Hazro HZ27WC like the
change resolution option in the NVIDIA Control Panel being completely empty when it should list the screens supported resolutions and refresh rates to select
and choose? and that the setup multiple displays option in the NVIDIA Control Panel it empty when it should list the current screen you have connected?

Last edited:
Soldato
Yep, GTX580 and the options are all gone in the latest WHQL drivers.

I can't help but think hazro just need to supply a monitor driver to fix it but will they ever do that?

Associate
Also there are hardware filters or anydvdhd(can do that on-fly) that can make you hdcp problem free, though both cost something so it would be rather last resort.
It also seems that for hdcp communication is responsible driver(IanD post)
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/archive/index.php/t-910240.html
I would really test some easy linux distro(XBMC Live) with bd playback and different drivers if the issue persists +/- different cable.
Seems like linux can only rip bd disks so far :S
http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?t=148772&page=2

Last edited:
Associate
according to NVIDIA Control Panel, the Hazro HZ27WC does not support HDCP.

I have also noticed the change resolution option in the NVIDIA Control Panel is completely empty and the scaling options in the NVIDIA Control Panel don't work

Please try using the default Windows slider to adjust resolutions and report the outcome. The HZ27WC does not feature a scaler so no other resolution apart from native can be mapped. Content can be viewed natively in a window or with borders on all sides.

The EDID data reads 'syncmaster' and we are aware of this. The DDC chipset is shared with Samsung and f/w cannot be overwritten. We are working on overriding it but that will be a few months later. The EDID label itself is not an issue and can read anything and has no bearing on the performance/compatibility. We don't recommend forcibly manipulating EDID data as this will void warranty.

As for HDCP, please try playing a genuine DVD or BLU RAY disc from a 'built-in' drive [3.5" IDE/SATA on most PCs]. This is, ofcourse, assuming the graphics card supports HDCP and if not, you will need to use a 3rd party software player. Labelling monitors as HDCP enabled/disabled is tricky in the absence of HDMI and especially on Dual Link monitors. This is because certain media players may refuse to play protected content whereas others will work fine. HDMI to DVI converters will not work on dual link devices and HDMI v1.3 is somewhat buggy.

Associate
Please try using the default Windows slider to adjust resolutions and report the outcome. The HZ27WC does not feature a scaler so no other resolution apart from native can be mapped. Content can be viewed natively in a window or with borders on all sides.

The EDID data reads 'syncmaster' and we are aware of this. The DDC chipset is shared with Samsung and f/w cannot be overwritten. We are working on overriding it but that will be a few months later. The EDID label itself is not an issue and can read anything and has no bearing on the performance/compatibility. We don't recommend forcibly manipulating EDID data as this will void warranty.

As for HDCP, please try playing a genuine DVD or BLU RAY disc from a 'built-in' drive [3.5" IDE/SATA on most PCs]. This is, ofcourse, assuming the graphics card supports HDCP and if not, you will need to use a 3rd party software player. Labelling monitors as HDCP enabled/disabled is tricky in the absence of HDMI and especially on Dual Link monitors. This is because certain media players may refuse to play protected content whereas others will work fine. HDMI to DVI converters will not work on dual link devices and HDMI v1.3 is somewhat buggy.

My PC definitely has full support for HDCP as the screen I was using before I bought the Hazro HZ27WC is running HDCP protected content perfectly fine on my current PC.

Your HZ27WC screen doesn't seem to work with HDCP content because I have fully tested this and if you have read, there are other users on the forum finding that windows etc is not seeing this screen as having HDCP support.

Associate
other users on the forum finding that windows etc is not seeing this screen as having HDCP support
Ignoring EDID labels for now, please try playing original DVD or Blu Ray content from a built-in player. nVidia and ATi software rely on info coming in from the DDC path but these are just labels. Please try the above and report back as our tests reveal no problems playing encrypted content.

Associate
Like somebody earlier said, we saw the price cut as an adjustment to the lack of features (connectors (&cables), scaler, OSD, warranty, ergonomic stand, etc). When you've pretty much taken everything else away, you really can't afford to skimp on the panel quality itself. And so far the price/quality doesn't seem to be anything ground shattering.

BUT: at least I, for one, am willing to forgo a few dead pixels and possibly even the dust specks. But there are few things I'd like clarification on before I make a final decision. Primarily interested in the C model, but model A answers are also welcome.

@end-users:
1) Is there any noticeable "IPS glow" with this monitor? Or backlight bleeding?
2) Could somebody try gaming on 1280x720 (2:1 pixel scaling) or 1920x1080 (4:3 pixel scaling)? How does it look? Too blocky? And the computer does fill the screen automagically, right?
3) Could somebody take their monitor through the http://www.lagom.nl/lcd-test/ tests? Any (major) shortcomings?
4) Has anyone noticed their eyes getting abnormally tired? Or has it been surprisingly pleasant and easy on the eyes?
5) Has anybody checked the factory calibration levels? Are they still in line with the tftcentral's measurements?
6) Not of any special interest to me personally, but has ANYBODY gotten any HDCP content working?

@hazro (might have to consult your engineers regarding 7 and 8):
7) I assume the backlight brightness is controlled by PWM? At what frequency does it operate?
8) Would it be possible to get a different backlight to these monitors? Like something that gives a maximum of 250 cd/m2 brightness, instead of 400 (or was it 420)?
9) Will international customers get a localized power cord? Or do we need an adapter?
10) There was some talk about additional color trims/front glass and a pivotable stand. Any updates on those? Will they be stand-alone (full price) purchases or optional upgrades (small premium) during ordering?
11) Any estimations on international price and ETA? Are the delivery prices the same they are now? (£42 is quite substantial extra cost)

At the moment I'm undecided between HP ZR24W and Hazro HZ27WC. Somebody (at least Sylver123, maybe others) said he had both at the moment. Especially interested in those owners' pair-wise comparisons of 1, 3 and 4.

As a final note, I have to agree on refraining from hunting down dead pixels or dust with a magnifying glass. But if somebody has a better than average eyesight and sees some anomalies in their screen during general use, and after further inspection identifies them as dead pixels or dust, I'd say they are entitled to voice their opinion. I don't know how long the DSR time is in UK, but if during that time you don't encounter any problems with the monitor in general use, then it's a keeper.

But then again, initial user reviews are also useful for potential buyers, therefore a more thorough inspection at this point is admissible. It's better to create a general consensus regarding the quality early on, so there won't be any further (negative) surprises.

Associate
Ignoring EDID labels for now, please try playing original DVD or Blu Ray content from a built-in player. nVidia and ATi software rely on info coming in from the DDC path but these are just labels. Please try the above and report back as our tests reveal no problems playing encrypted content.

Well I have already tested HDCP support on the Hazro HZ27WC as I got a borrow of some real retail Bluray movies discs from a friend to test to see whether HDCP support is working
on the Hazro HZ27WC and guess what? HDCP isn't working as all my bluray player software is complaining that it can't play this disc as I don't have a HDCP compatible display.

And yes I do have a SATA Blu Ray Player disc reader Drive on my PC.

It is not my computer hardware or windows install or software that is causing the problem because my old HP ZR24w screen that also has HDCP support, I don't have any problems
running HDCP protected content, Bluray movies discs on this screen.

Last edited:
Soldato
Like somebody earlier said, we saw the price cut as an adjustment to the lack of features (connectors (&cables), scaler, OSD, warranty, ergonomic stand, etc). When you've pretty much taken everything else away, you really can't afford to skimp on the panel quality itself. And so far the price/quality doesn't seem to be anything ground shattering.

BUT: at least I, for one, am willing to forgo a few dead pixels and possibly even the dust specks. But there are few things I'd like clarification on before I make a final decision. Primarily interested in the C model, but model A answers are also welcome.

@end-users:
1) Is there any noticeable "IPS glow" with this monitor? Or backlight bleeding?
2) Could somebody try gaming on 1280x720 (2:1 pixel scaling) or 1920x1080 (4:3 pixel scaling)? How does it look? Too blocky? And the computer does fill the screen automagically, right?
3) Could somebody take their monitor through the http://www.lagom.nl/lcd-test/ tests? Any (major) shortcomings?
4) Has anyone noticed their eyes getting abnormally tired? Or has it been surprisingly pleasant and easy on the eyes?
5) Has anybody checked the factory calibration levels? Are they still in line with the tftcentral's measurements?
6) Not of any special interest to me personally, but has ANYBODY gotten any HDCP content working?

1) Yes, there is a slightly noticeable IPS glow, visible in the bottom left corner and slightly less in the bottom right corner. It is yellowish and may be visible on dark backgrounds. It isn't anything terrible in normal use, even though definitely noticeable.

2) I played Darksiders at 1920x1080 yesterday, it looked fine but a little washed out. You can instantly notice that the image was upscaled and I wish the game had higher resolution options. Played it at 1920x1200 too, that looked slightly better but with black borders on the sides.

3) I've done it first thing after I got it, everything seemed ok but nothing spectacular. Blacks were way off, whites weren't good enough, contrast was mediocre at best. Gamma was somehow spot on if I remember correctly but then something ****ed up and I wasn't happy with the contrast anyway so I used TFT Central's calibration profile at first and then ended up with one of the user's ICC profile and that was spot on in every test.

4) The latter, I even got used to the glow. The slightly yellowish tint in the bottom left corner annoys me the most atm :p

5) I will do that as soon as I receive/buy a colorimeter. I think overall measurements were pretty good according to a few users.

6) Haven't tried it, cannot comment. I too would like to know before I get a blue-ray drive (even though mkv rips aren't much of a problem).

Associate
@ Hazro

If I use dvi to hdmi to connect to a tv I can play hdcp protected content.

If I use dvi to my HZ227WC I can not play hdcp protected content.

What are your thoughts? It can't therefore be a hardware or software issue on my system. BTW tested with the cyberlink software and also Total media theatre so the two most popular programs currently in use.

Associate
We all have different hardware configurations and it seems that the people including myself that have bought a Hazro HZ27WC and have tested HDCP protected content
such as retail blu ray discs on the screen have all said HDCP is not working on this screen, so it definitely is not a user error and must therefore be a fault with the screen.

Like I said before, my other screen that I have which is a HP ZR24W has no problems viewing HDCP protected content so it's not my computer that
has the issues with HDCP, it's the Hazro HZ27WC screen itself that has the problem.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom