Type R and VTEC owners

How does low mileage affect that? It could have been 'used like it should' and not used as a daily driven car.

My FN2 didn't really loosen up till 30k miles, so at 16k even it it was fully warmed up before a few spirited drives it's gonna be tight IMO

I was no boy racer but it got the beans regularly, as intended

Well my dad has one which he has had from new with 120k on the clock. Was thinking of swapping with him for a mini one.

I dont like the FN2, ugly rear and slower than the EP3, I think I will wait for the new turbo one and get new, so should tide me over.

How much are the tyres?

One thing I would be weary of on an engine that's done over 100k (nb figure plucked from thin air) is the timing chain, as time goes one more and more are turning up where the timing chain has stretched. Definitely something to consider if you've got one with higher mileage or you're considering buying one. I think it's a 6 hour job to replace so they're not cheap.

thanks for letting me drive it dude. Great car with good noise.

still wrong wheel drive tho :p

SIDEWAYS_zpsa346a338.gif

Last edited:
Look like you're enjoying yourself there, both of you :D

Sorted out a couple of things for my car this weekend!

First, cleaned up my set of Eibach 15mm spacers and painted the outer edge black (u-pol etch primer first, them hammerite satin black). I have silver wheels so the spaces don't stand out much, until they started to get surface corrosion. Quick black coat and they will be much less visible. I have been incredibly careful not to get any on the mating surfaces...slightly wary of spacers if I'm honest!

Secondly, cleaned up my second hand Milltek exhaust ready for it to get fitted later this week. I order some replacement clamps for the slip joints, but they managed to send the wrong sizes, so will have to order some other bits and hope they turn up on before Thursday.

Next, had a look at my suspension bits which I have had for a while, can't wait to get them fitted...the FN2s handling has disappointed me a bit after owning it a while, at the RR I was making jokes about the FN2 being crap, well I wouldn't say its actually a crap car but the handling does not impress me at all :(

VUxDpAa.jpg.png

0SNpnSj.jpg.png

As standard the FN2 Type R manages to ride terribly, roll a bit too much for my liking in corners, and has pretty limited feel through the steering compared to the cars I have driven before - guess thats largely down the EPAS. I'm hoping that these springs/dampers, a proper fast road setup, and camber bolts/shims to sort out the rather shonky factory spec geometry will make a big improvement. I didn't want coilovers this time around, too much faff with adjustment, and the spring rates are often a bit much for road use. The Mugen setup here is meant to be tuned for use on UK roads, and the dampers are high quality Sachs items (ala Clio Trophy). The ride does not change much, with a 10mm drop at the front and 5mm at the rear. And no, I did not pay the £2k+ that some places try and sell this setup for! Managed to snag these brand new for £1k.

Last edited:
Fast road setup and -15mm Eibach springs made a MASSIVE different to my FN2.

I've finished that off with HEL Braided Lines, EBC Yellow Stuff pads.. and Polybushed the rear beam.

Next on the list is an LSD for me, and maybe another set of rims with track tyres ;)

EDIT - I forgot to add. I have 15mm Eibach Spacers on the front, and 20mm H&R Spacers on the rear!

Last edited:
Good to hear TaKen :) where did you get your FRSU done?

LSD will be great fun, especially if you are tracking it - got an M Factory one in mine, reduces understeer considerably.

It still doesn't put its power down as well as my Fiesta ST though, its far keener to spin up a wheel (yes its 215bhp vs 195-200 in the Fiesta, but is much heavier and has bigger/wider/heavier wheels and tyres) but that had extensive suspension work...I'm hoping the bits I mention above will sort that out though.

Good to hear TaKen :) where did you get your FRSU done?

LSD will be great fun, especially if you are tracking it - got an M Factory one in mine, reduces understeer considerably.

It still doesn't put its power down as well as my Fiesta ST though, its far keener to spin up a wheel (yes its 215bhp vs 195-200 in the Fiesta, but is much heavier and has bigger/wider/heavier wheels and tyres) but that had extensive suspension work...I'm hoping the bits I mention above will sort that out though.

FRSU was done at TDi North. Good set of lads there, my steering wheel wasn't quite straight on the way out though. I only realised half way home! Never mind.

I'm going to lookout for a Champ White or 2010 onwards, if someone is breaking for spares. I'll fit that box with the Standard LSD ;)

Its a helical diff made by M Factory, its much like a Quiafe ATB. When I say spin up a wheel I mean *wheels* :cool: - it definitely works, I can feel it pulling around corners or even tugging slightly if you boot it hard in a straight line, and its an improvement.

I think its more down to the cold weather and road conditions not helping, but it sure seems easier to light up the wheels in this car than in my Fiesta.

In that car with the diff and all the suspension mods you could be an absolute hooligan, in this...less so...if you're hoofing it you can still get power understeer where both wheels spin up even with the LSD, or you can feel it pulling from side to side a bit more dramatically...where the Fiesta would just grip and grip and go, no dramas. I just don't think the standard suspension and geometry is much good on the FN2 really.

Back
Top Bottom