Type R and VTEC owners

My name's Muffin and I'm a fan boy.

I like driving cars that reward me for driving it hard and on the limit. I couldn't afford an Elise or Boxster and I can't pull off an MX5 so I settled for a Type-R.

I originally wanted a DC5 but the sellers were generally monkeys to deal with, I wanted a white one with/without mods but for the right price, but they were overpriced and I lost interest (I looked the other day and a large number are still for sale 5-7 months on). I was itching to get something and the EP3 didn't do it for me, so I decided to save some money and get a DC2 as secretly I thought they would give me a more rewarding drive. I remember saying how I disliked the idea of an EK9/DC2 as it'd end up cost me the same as a good DC5 after fix the rust and gearboxes made of cheese.

I bought my DC2 with no rust or crunches on the gearbox, it was a magical time, VTEC was so rewarding. It then stared to get a bit smokey until my car looked like something out of Whacky Races so now it's in Performance Autoworks getting five grands worth of work to make it right. Once I get it back in a condition not to dissimilar to the original owner had it in 1997 I plan to drive it how it was meant to be driven, hard, all ove the UK.

It's my pride and joy and the first car that gives me an ear to ear grin everytime I get in it. I don't have big plans, but brakes and ICE are the only things left (I'm going to do as much of this myself as I feel I need to bond with my car mechanically and sacrifice some skin from my hands).

snow028.jpg

snow015.jpg

I was planning on keeping it a queen and walking to work, but I've got a new job and I'm using my Mondeo, not sure if I'll be able to stand it for commuting but I'll give it a go, if not I'll have to get an MX5 or something.

My first and only VTEC ownership is my DC5 :) I love it, I've thought about changing it several times, but I can't find anything more suitable to replace it with as it ticks all of the right boxes!

Hi Im Simon.

I was Rover turbo fan boy with a highly tuned Rover 220 Turbo and when looking for a Focus RS to replace it with I stumbled on a cheap S2000. I drove it and thought it was great so got it to drive over the summer of 2006.

5.5years later I still have it. About to hit 140k miles and it's still running strong.
Only major mods are Koni Yellows, polybushed and WIM alignment, Im even on the stock exhaust with cat at the moment (The Js Racing 60RS was a bit nice until I blew the baffles out at Rockingham last year).

Nothing comes close to the feeling of revving an engine to 9000rpm but it's asking for more!

227887_10150577414205363_517870362_18404497_7600070_n.jpg

Last edited:
muffin, 5k of work? erm, wtf?

It's mostly taken up buy the engine work, overbored by .25mm with mostly new bits. Got loads of other stuff done at the same time as it's all out. I could have had it done for 1-1k but it doesn't fix the issue just covers the symptoms. Theory is that it had a blower.

The problem I had with the S2000 is that it revs a lot slower than other vtec engines.
It might rev to 9000 but it takes an age to get there.

The speed per gear is same as other VTECs but they rev lower. The performance is better than other VTECs so I can't see why it revs slower?

I've been driving a 2007 S2000 since August. What a fantastic thing it is! VTEC brings a smile every time, the handling is spot on (especially after a full geo) and the gearbox is awesome. I've no plans to mod it just yet, but the temptation for more straight line speed may result in FI rather than a completely new car. I did also hear a chav exhaust on one the other day and now I want one :(.

It makes such a difference not to have any MOT advisories or reliability issues after my MG. I just can't believe I didn't get in one sooner.

Having never driven a VTEC car before, the S2000 seems pretty urgent! There really are no torques though, being in the wrong gear has really caught me out and my driving style has altered quite a bit.

He'd pretty much stripped all the mods off it by then but I'm unsure.

I think the main reason it felt like it revved slow was that I'd came from an evo 8 to the S2000.
I had it for about 9 months and just couldn't get on with it. It got sold after one trip to Scotland, where it rained a lot, and I found I couldn't keep up with lesser cars (fiat punto!!) on roads I'd driven loads.

I know they aren't favoured but am very tempted by an FN2 at the moment.

My work commute in the new job started off at 600 miles a week, which I have a short term lease car for through the company.

But now I have realised that actually no one goes into the office so no point me being there when I can just do everything from home (currently 2 days a week at home at the moment).

If I cut that to 1 day a week in the office and the rest at home that drops to 200 a week which is plenty fine to run my own car on (hell that's less than when I used to work locally) so won't need the company lease car :)

The company route is an all inclusive cost a month, covers everything to do with the car including insurance, servicing, tyres, consumables, the lot which is good, but it's still a fair chunk a month that I could stick into my own car of my choosing :p

He'd pretty much stripped all the mods off it by then but I'm unsure.

I think the main reason it felt like it revved slow was that I'd came from an evo 8 to the S2000.
I had it for about 9 months and just couldn't get on with it. It got sold after one trip to Scotland, where it rained a lot, and I found I couldn't keep up with lesser cars (fiat punto!!) on roads I'd driven loads.

This is the challenge with them ! :D

This is the challenge with them ! :D

Challenge?
What? Trying to drive it without crashing when the weather turns bad?
Give me safe handling any day over twitching on every drain you drive over.

They do sound good when you put your foot down, and dropping the roof whenever it even looks like it's going to stop raining is brilliant :)

Back
Top Bottom