Type R and VTEC owners

Soldato
Fitted the first set of poly engine mount inserts today. The standard mounts in an FN2 are really soft, to the extent that the engine/gearbox can move sufficiently to inhibit more enthusiastic gearshifts at high RPM. Polybush make a set of PU inserts which fit into the standard mounts. Reducing engine movement can apparently make gearshifts slicker, improve throttle response slightly, and reduce wheel tramp under hard acceleration.

Now I was a bit wary of these, worried that they would introduce a lot of vibration into the cabin, not ideal for a car that already rattles and buzzes a bit more than I'd like. The side engine mount is really easy to get at, three bolts and a bit of wiggling and its off the car, so I decided I'd have a go at it this morning. The standard mount has a small rubber insert to help stiffen things slightly, it is very thin, flexible rubber though, here it is after I'd taken it off:

b3LYIdg.jpg.png

Here's what the Polybush inserts look like. They are a tight fit into the existing dogbone piece, but this can be eased with washing up liquid.

erODZCa.jpg.png

And how they fit together once fitted to the mount:

pGUvPrM.jpg.png

And fitted back onto the car:

ZwbTG24.jpg.png

Went for a drive this evening and was pleasantly surprised at how much difference just changing the one mount could make, the car feels much 'tighter', gearshift is improved (high rpm up and downshifts), the engine even sounds slightly sharper and less buzzy. Cabin vibration does not seem any worse, as you pull away its slightly noticable compared to before, but once up to speed its fine, it feels better without any ill effects, and I'm told the vibration will even settle down after a short while.

I might fit the front one next weekend. The third mount (rear/gearbox) is a lot more involved though, and I'm told this is the one that really makes cabin vibration a lot worse, so might leave that till last or not bother at all.

Soldato
Total choad.

You're not wrong, I'd have been livid!

I've been let down today mind, guy was meant to be coming from Stafford to buy my standard FN2 grill, agreed price, I'd said I would stop in today for him to collect, did the bloke turn up or text/message to explain his no-show, did he hell :(

Last edited:
Caporegime
It wouldn't have changed anything; it's just one of those things really, teach me for not just snapping it up via PayPal :)

Sold it for £70 less than I was paying too; then apparently the previous owner would sell for £400, bit odd so I walked away.

Ev0

Ev0

Soldato
I can't sell mine. Too good !

Has not been an easy decision, but a few factors have meant I think it's the right time to move on for the moment.

Moving house in a couple of months, double garage and 4 car drive so am sure one will be sat in that garage again at somepoint :)

Soldato
I'm tempted to get those Will.

I've got the Polybushes in my rear beam (Best mod IMO) and Front ARB Polybushes.

I've got the front ARB ones to fit (Superpro bushes rather than Polybush though), I may do them myself but I haven't had a proper look at it yet. Did you do yours yourself?

Gotta say, even just doing this one mount has made a nice improvement, the standard mounts are really soft, for such an easy mod to do I think its worth it, just frustrating that you have to buy all the mounts together as a set when most people only use the inserts for the side and front mounts.

Soldato
I do all my work myself :)

The rear bushes weren't easy to fit by myself, you're better off getting it to someone who knows what they're doing with a ramp, the front ARB bushes were easy to do, there is a guide on Civ Info. Just a couple of brackets to remove, and the ARB drops down!

Soldato
Think my interesting car days are over, been involved in multi car accident on m6 south this afternoon, quite heavy front end damage, some rear end as well, gutted is not the word :(

Soldato
Oh dear... how severe are we talking damage wise? What happened and whose fault?

I only got one pic before my battery went flat which I took at the depot, will upload later.

Its my fault basically, everybody bunched up and a car (blue focus on the civinfo pic) slammed on the brakes to avoid hitting a coach that pulled out in front of him, I rear ended him.

Two cars made contact avoiding me I think and after the highways agency towed me to hw hard shoulder it got clipped at very low speed by somebody else (by this point rain was very bad indeed and there was loads of spray, and theres not a proper hard shoulder anyway, this being the managed motorway bit of the m6s before j9), this is before the flatbed truck could turn up to recover me.

The car is a probable write off I think, damage ia pretty extensive, weird thing was the guy in the focus was able to drive on without any real issue, where as my car has broken radiator, is leaking fuel and small bit of oil, gears wont select cos everything has been pushed back into the rods...

rjk

rjk

Caporegime
Gutted for you Will. Conditions have been awful recently.

The positive thing here is that you are unharmed mate.

keep us updated man. Hope you can get things resolved quickly

Back
Top Bottom