Type R and VTEC owners

Caporegime
I'd have to get it inspected to answer that, I'm no mechanic :)

The car drives really well though, only very occasionally a really light knock/clonk on bigger bumps from drivers side which I am assuming is an ARB drop link, the cars on 68k now.

Who'd have thought that starting off with £150 springs you can be spending 700-800 by the time you're done :)

look at it this way, do it now it wont need changing for 5-10 years?

a garage might change £70 per front and back to change the springs, do you want to spend that again if you want other bits changing?

fwiw on my corolla 53 t sport i just threw new springs on it, £127 for eibach pros, £150 fitting..didnt change anything else but then i didnt have any knocking either. whiteline rear arb was nice too though:)

Soldato
Re: car audio, I have apparently a Honda upgraded front components kit fitted...and I have to say, they're good enough not to warrant changing as nothing around £150 or less would improve on them, really weird how good/crisp/detailed/clear they sound!

But they're a bit thin obviously with my sub turned off.. :)

rjk

rjk

Caporegime
Ill take some pics at the weekend when its light as it was getting dark when I finished! :)

Are you looking to just change the headunit or have a sub as well?

nope, i have changed the stock cd player to an Alpine iDA-X311RR

its decent enough and suits my needs for playing the odd on song off the ipod.

not really planned anything else. :eek:

only thing that annoys me is that I lost my clock as the alpine unit doesnt have one

Soldato
what sort of MPG do people get with their CTR on motorway runs please ?

was pleasantly surprised by my wife's Type-S returning 41.5mpg over the weekend on the motorway - and I'd forgotten how useful Cruise Control is (I assume the CTR also has it ?)

one last question - on the sportier Hondas (ok the Type-S is a bit better than my MB6) - why have such a high revving 5th gear ? On my MB6 - 5th is not much different than 4th -so 70 is about 3,800 revs (about 3,200 on the Type-S). What bugs me is that even at 2000 revs my MB6 has more than adequate acceleration to keep up with traffic so there is no real need to have such a high revving 5th gear - if you need faster acceleration you could drop a cog

I'm sure it would improve fuel economy on my MB6 on long runs no-end

quite like the Type-S on longer runs - its low down extra torque is quite useful - the engine feels very constrained compared to my B18C4 though. The Type-S handles like its on rails- and even the 17inch alloys don't seem to wreck the ride at all- its firm but not annoying. The electric steering is taking a bit of getting used to though its much faster than my older Civic.

Last edited:
Soldato
It works with the high revving nature of the engines really. You can keep it shorter to keep the acceleration as good as possible. Not sure how much it would improve fuel economy though as I still get 35mpg in my Integra which is doing ~4300rpm at 70mph.

Soldato
It works with the high revving nature of the engines really. You can keep it shorter to keep the acceleration as good as possible. Not sure how much it would improve fuel economy though as I still get 35mpg in my Integra which is doing ~4300rpm at 70mph.

true - but 4th gets you to stupid speeds quickly anyway :)

35mpg is similar to my MB6 - so was quite pleased with the Type-S returning over 40.

I was all set to keep to being a 2 Civic family and getting a Type-R but with continued hikes in petrol prices I'm currently in 2 minds - Type-R or something like a "sporty" diesel Cupra FR - engine will be nowhere near asfun but will be far more economical

I sort of see it as my last opportunity to own a new-ish (up to 5 years) proper Type-R what with the VTECs not being sold in the UK anymore

Soldato
Go for it, they are easy on fuel really. Yes it will drink fuel when going for it but what doesn't for that sort of performance. Main thing to me is my DC2 can still get good mpg when I want to.

rjk

rjk

Caporegime
you will see a little over 30mpg on a motorway run tbh.

i personally dislike driving my car on motorways. there is no cruise control and it isnt really designed for long distance journeys.

Soldato
you will see a little over 30mpg on a motorway run tbh.

i personally dislike driving my car on motorways. there is no cruise control and it isnt really designed for long distance journeys.

no cruise control - thats a surprise - I assumed as the Type-S had it the Type-R would as well :(

Soldato
Go for it, they are easy on fuel really. Yes it will drink fuel when going for it but what doesn't for that sort of performance. Main thing to me is my DC2 can still get good mpg when I want to.

Mine hates the day to day driving and returns ~220miles to a tank.

The other weekend on a PH run I managed 140 miles to half a tank, and this run involved...... a few VTECs :)

These cars love to be given a real run and have the comwebs blown out the system!

Caporegime
Woo, deposit taken on my STD. Does anyone have any experience getting a respray with CW? Do I need a paint code or is it a special Honda only supplied paint for $$$$?

Associate
Hey guys, i picked up an 07 civic type r GT at the weekend. Loving it so far! I got the car from a wee garage and well, they didnt tell me really anything about what the car all had haha. But from what i was reading the 07 ones dont have an AUX port? If not, is it easy enough to fit one?

Soldato
Woo, deposit taken on my STD. Does anyone have any experience getting a respray with CW? Do I need a paint code or is it a special Honda only supplied paint for $$$$?

I imagine it's just a paint code?

My S is Deep Burgundy only offered from 2006 onwards. It has a paint code and is called "Honda Deep Burgundy".

It's rare as hens teeth on the road and I had no trouble finding someone who could mix it. It's just been slapped over both bumpers and the match is perfect.

Last edited:
Caporegime
I imagine it's just a paint code?

My S is Deep Burgundy only offered from 2006 onwards and was a special order colour. It has a paint code and is called "Honda Deep Burgundy".

It's rare as hens teeth on the road and I had no trouble finding someone who could mix it. It's just been slapped over both bumpers and the match is perfect.

I've no idea, I just wanted someone to go "Yep you retard it's just a paint code like RGB or Hex" :D You put it a little more diplomatically and informatively though

Soldato
It should be on a sticker in one of the door sills or perhaps on the VIN/Engine plate in the engine bay.

What is the full colour name, Championship White?

Google suggests it's a Honda Paint Code of:

NH-0 (NH-Zero)

Back
Top Bottom