Type R and VTEC owners

So..Uhh...Nath I hope your wearing white underwear because.....

gYtw3Xi.jpg

Its nothing special at all, dull to drive, dull 1.2 engine, steering is light and overly assisted and no feel, I have more fun in my 1.2 Clio with the tracking out.

What has surprised me is how big it is inside, its huge, not badly equipped got A/C, AUX, trip computer telling you your MPG and all that "Jazz"

Last edited:
Exactly how I feel about them. A perfect small car for shipping around surprising amounts of stuff and people in relative comfort.

Crap to drive. You can't have it all!

The piston is the killer really - if it's showing any pitting / rust then there's absolutely no point in refurbishing the caliper. If it's fine and your problem is related to the sliders then it'll refurb no problem.

It's a relatively easy Diy, though if i'm honest I usually just replace the caliper as they don't tend to be expensive (no idea on the S2000, on the civic they're circa £100 refurbed). If you're stripping/ refurbishing just make sure you can actually get the bleed nipple open and hose off (without cutting) before you get too far in and that the seal kit you have is the right one.

Thanks for this. So the piston is part of the caliper? My main concern with DIY would be if I had to drain/bleed the brake fluid, that doesn't sound fun. Doesn't sound like a big job for a garage if I supply the caliper, should be cheap enough to sort.

Tbh if you don't know the basics of it (not a criticism) it's probably best left to someone else.

The piston is the piece that actually makes contact with the back of the pad, forcing them against the disc via piston and the fixed caliper end. These sit inside a chamber in the caliper, made fluid tight by rubber seals so that when pressure is applied (via the brake fluid filling the chamber) it is pushed out.

If you look at a picture of any caliper the piston(s) are fairly obvious, they're the central cylinder

If either the seals are damaged or the piston itself is corroded or damaged the caliper can sieze, i.e it can no longer easily go through its full range of movement. In a lot of cases the piston is exactly what causes the caliper to be a problem, at which point it's worth just replacing the whole thing.

You only tend to lose a tiny amount of brake fluid when replacing or repairing a caliper, but the system absolutely needs to be bled afterwords.

Last edited:

I do love that sparkle yellow. Seems a touch overpriced compared to some, even for a redtop, but clean ones are definitely getting few and far between now. I'd want to have a good look at the exhaust, arches and rear calipers before parting with that much. Also check the age of the clutch and for any gearbox crunches, particularly going into 5th at high revs. And that the 4WS works properly.

One here for half the money - http://www.ludegeneration.co.uk/pre...op-5th-gen-totally-stock-1000-ono-t13817.html

Last edited:
Tbh if you don't know the basics of it (not a criticism) it's probably best left to someone else.

The piston is the piece that actually makes contact with the back of the pad, forcing them against the disc via piston and the fixed caliper end. These sit inside a chamber in the caliper, made fluid tight by rubber seals so that when pressure is applied (via the brake fluid filling the chamber) it is pushed out.

If you look at a picture of any caliper the piston(s) are fairly obvious, they're the central cylinder

If either the seals are damaged or the piston itself is corroded or damaged the caliper can sieze, i.e it can no longer easily go through its full range of movement. In a lot of cases the piston is exactly what causes the caliper to be a problem, at which point it's worth just replacing the whole thing.

You only tend to lose a tiny amount of brake fluid when replacing or repairing a caliper, but the system absolutely needs to be bled afterwords.

Totally agree with you and thanks for your explanation, that helps a lot.

For those who have bought new calipers does this look alright? http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item.view&alt=web&id=301303217582

My driver side rear brake caliper is seized on my S2000. For those who have dealt with this before is there any value in stripping and regressing the slidey bits (technical term) or is that always just a short term fix and it's better just to get a new caliper? Is replacing the caliper DIYable for someone with very little experience?

Just get a new (refurbished) one. The rear caliper on my DC2 was sticking, I think I spent about £50 in fuel/parts/labour to be told it can't be rescued. Then paid around £90 for a replacement. I won't be doing that again.

The new CTR is looking great, I hope they ditch the silly quad exhausts, doesn't suit hatchbacks at all.

Wish they would release more info on the engine and turbo tech, want to know how it will work. It would be good if the turbo only operates at low revs, between 2-5k to give power and torque at the lower range, then switch off and let the VTEC cams only to kick in at high revs. That way you have the best of both worlds and don't lose all the character of a VTEC engine and what it was originally about.

I've read somewhere that Honda are saying it's going to be faster than the NSX Type R around the 'ring.

Sorry, but who cares? I'd have the NSX any day of the week. Cars are not about lap times, they're about being great to drive and I hope the new CTR is just that. Just can't help but think that they've become too obsessed with making it go round a track quickly which doesn't always translate into being a great every day road car.

I've read somewhere that Honda are saying it's going to be faster than the NSX Type R around the 'ring.

Sorry, but who cares? I'd have the NSX any day of the week. Cars are not about lap times, they're about being great to drive and I hope the new CTR is just that. Just can't help but think that they've become too obsessed with making it go round a track quickly which doesn't always translate into being a great every day road car.

Yep indeed, this car won't have anything on the NSX, in fact Honda won't build a car as great as the NSX ever again.

I would have hoped that Honda would be above all the 'ring lap time nonsense but looks like they've gone that route for marketing purpose as it will give them a big exposure, they need it big time with struggling profits, this needs to be a success.

But I have hopes this will be a good road car from the things I have read and the time it has been in development. It's not your typical drop a big engine and stiff suspension job, a lot of engineering is going into this, so they better deliver.

Is it just me or did they let a work experience student loose on Photoshop and release the image to the public?

My Facebook feed has been awash with people linking to the 'new type r concept' which is the same thing we all saw a few months back but with a few decals pasted on it.

I'm unsure why people are losing their **** over it again.

Back
Top Bottom