Type R and VTEC owners

My work commute has now been reduced from 250 miles a week to 100 miles......... so I'm seriously considering a type R (FN). I had a go in my friends 182 trophy but its too small in the back for my boy to be practical so realistically unless anyone can suggest any other car (must be reliable so possibly not) is there anything major to look for on the FN2's?

-Ad- man i would love to have a pit in my garage :/ Could do so much work on my teg but since my mates changed to their own. It will take few years before it will be equiped with enough of ramps so i can do jobs myself on my DC :(
And like I said Not a single person noticed this ****.
If it goes for toe arms sooner or later I will get adjustable ones no point of rebushing those as they are old ect. Replacement will be nightmare tho as it looks that chassis mount is snapped and not possible to take it off car :S
Possibly thats the reason someone went full retard on this. Took me 3 hours of banging with Thors hammer pulling ect to get it right :/

And ye FD 4.7 gearbox + ES gearbox mount insert + fresh MTF and now those bushings shifts are amazing :D But i know that 2->3 synchro is not in gr8 shape in this tranny. I give it 2 years and i bet i will need new set of synchros in this box :D

Last edited:
-Ad- man i would love to have a pit in my garage :/ Could do so much work on my teg but since my mates changed to their own. It will take few years before it will be equiped with enough of ramps so i can do jobs myself on my DC :(
And like I said Not a single person noticed this ****.

Damn, I'd love a pit also, would be in my garage spec if I ever built one.

Yeah it's crazy that no one noticed, it's frighteningly obvious and must have felt very off indeed. Surely with it located on the rear side you'd have massive toe in on the left rear. Glad it's fixed now though.

If it goes for toe arms sooner or later I will get adjustable ones no point of rebushing those as they are old ect. Replacement will be nightmare tho as it looks that chassis mount is snapped and not possible to take it off car :S
Possibly thats the reason someone went full retard on this. Took me 3 hours of banging with Thors hammer pulling ect to get it right :/

By snapped, you meaning the captive nut it fixes to that is welded inside the chassis section? If that's really snapped then be careful as the bolt and nut combo might not be torqued up enough to hold the arm in place, and if you get some movement there it could become dangerous and unpredictable as the toe arm shifts could shift around whilst driving.

Only way to get that out would be to cut the section so you can get a ratchet on the nut to secure it whilst you undo the nut. Going aftermarket is a good idea if you have a bust captive nut fixing, then you can adjust without worrying about it going again :D

And ye FD 4.7 gearbox + ES gearbox mount insert + fresh MTF and now those bushings shifts are amazing :D But i know that 2->3 synchro is not in gr8 shape in this tranny. I give it 2 years and i bet i will need new set of synchros in this box :D[/QUOTE]

-Ad- the FN2 is a good all rounder, my mate with a nipper has one.

:confused: Haven't replied to you regards the FN2.

Anyway, I try not to think about them :p

My work commute has now been reduced from 250 miles a week to 100 miles......... so I'm seriously considering a type R (FN). I had a go in my friends 182 trophy but its too small in the back for my boy to be practical so realistically unless anyone can suggest any other car (must be reliable so possibly not) is there anything major to look for on the FN2's?

Have you ever been in one? Quite possibly the most uncomfortable cars I've ever been in and I've owned cars with coilovers and I drive an Evo 8.

Get an EP3. Mazda 3 MPS would be a good shout too.

I tend to agree unfortunately - the only car i've had that rides worse was an old corrado on cheap coilovers (oh and an FD2 I was in, which was just lol hard).

The eibachs seem to help a bit, but it's still very harsh.

-Ad- Ye it is spinning but lucky enough its tight as hell and only way to change it is to cut in to chassis like You say and welding time heh. Cant see that happening anytime soon f uit was matter of swap over maybe this summer but as it is no play in any part of suspension so not fixing what aint 'totally' broke :P

Besides that once something goes off my DC2 its replaced with new or upgraded if possible. Hate putting used not shiny stuff on my car. Not like its standing 6 days a week :P. This Summer plan is Hondata s300 and mb6 rear brake conversation as discs are almost finished so if im going discs+pads I can refurbish bigger calipers while at it and have fresh set like i got at front. Just to look nice :D

Last edited:
-Ad- the FN2 is a good all rounder, my mate with a nipper has one.

Sorry I meant to put -Mike-!

;) I quite fancied one but if the suspension is much worse than the 5 door I have now perhaps I ought to skip it!

Have you ever been in one? Quite possibly the most uncomfortable cars I've ever been in and I've owned cars with coilovers and I drive an Evo 8.

Get an EP3. Mazda 3 MPS would be a good shout too.

I haven't been in the FN2, I have however been in the EP3 and it wasn't a bad place to be! The MPS is a good shout indeed, but one of them is very expensive to tax?

I tend to agree unfortunately - the only car i've had that rides worse was an old corrado on cheap coilovers (oh and an FD2 I was in, which was just lol hard).

The eibachs seem to help a bit, but it's still very harsh.

Do you still have a Civic? My memory may fail me here but I think you have or had one?

Thanks for all your advice chaps.

Yeah I've had an FN2 for just over a year now, had a diseasel a couple of years ago too.

It's fair to say I'm not madly in love with the car, but it is actually a very good all rounder and I have high expectations.

Plus points:

Tidy handling, still looks good(IMO)iI, I like the interior, good interior and boot space, has been reliable, very new car for the moneymoney(for the class), sounds decent for a 4 banger, fairly good spec as standard on the GT. If you really, really give it death (like it wants) on a good day it still feels like a very well sorted car, regardless of what it's lost over the ep3

Negatives:

The dash creaks, that ride, that paint, reflector lenses(is it still the early 90's?), Honda servicing/parts cost (pre discount) are lol, just feels that bit lacking in power. Feels like it's set up for driving that most people do one day in 7 at most

Some people seem to absolutely love them - I'll probably have mine for another year but only really as immediate priorities have changed and it is a reasonably rounded car

Last edited:
What are you comparing it too? It comes nowhere near an EP3 because to reduce costs in the FN2 they done away with the independent rear suspension!

Saying that, if straight line pace it what you're after you're hitting very high speeds fairly quickly.

Compared to its competition from the same era.

The EP3 comparison is a bit overdone tbh, on road there isn't much in it despite the archaic back end on the FN2 - they are still very competent

The caveat I'd put on this is that I'm talking about dry condition handling, it's overly stiff and not compliant enough to work in the wet with the standard setup

Last edited:
Any pics? :)

http://www.pistonheads.com/classifi...acelift-2000-type-r-b18-s80-fujistubo/3835828

Link to advert. Been emailing the guy today trying to get as much info on the engine swap. Slightly wary about it, the whole engine swap thing is new to me and don't want to buy a lemon. Previously owned a DC2 and it is probably still my favorite out of all the cars I've owned. I'd imagine if done properly that EK9 will be a hoot to drive.

Do they suffer from arch rust issues like the DC2's

http://www.pistonheads.com/classifi...acelift-2000-type-r-b18-s80-fujistubo/3835828

Link to advert. Been emailing the guy today trying to get as much info on the engine swap. Slightly wary about it, the whole engine swap thing is new to me and don't want to buy a lemon. Previously owned a DC2 and it is probably still my favorite out of all the cars I've owned. I'd imagine if done properly that EK9 will be a hoot to drive.

Do they suffer from arch rust issues like the DC2's

You would be better off asking at forum such as Honda Karma about the engine swap, I have no clue if the engine mounts are same/similar or totally different. But that EK9 probably flies with that engine, you could do some weight reduction and probably get the car under 1000kg.

MTEC Brakes any good, need new brakes all round on my DelSol, had the EBC slotted jobbies on the front last time but these MTEC ones are a fraction of the price.

As an aside the tilter cable for the roof broke and the part is discontinued by Honda, snotty kid at the local Honda dealer told me over the phone the car was built the same age as he was born so bog off sir.

Edit: Linky: http://www.mtecbrakes.com/brake-discs/honda/crx-92-97/crx-1-6-esi-eh-06-92-01-97.html

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom