Type R and VTEC owners

Caporegime
I’d love one.. if it had a better manual box and wasn’t so flawed mechanically. I love the fact that Hondas take insane amounts of abuse and continue going.

E9x manual is still very much on the list of cars to own for me as I think it’s one of the best m3s ever but I’m not yet brave enough or bored enough of what Japan has to offer. - Lexus isf for example.
I always wanted a sequential S2000. But the M3 DCT is so good. The manual is a backwards step.

Caporegime
See I’m not one that cares about the “performance” per se of what’s faster easier etc. I just enjoy a good manual box and bmw boxes have always been average.
Yes we can see that with your mods ;) truth is high revving engines that need working go well with dual clutch gearboxes

Last edited:
Associate
If we are comparing like price of a FD2 Type-R and even JDM EP3 Type-R now, as great of a car they are and being NA. To me it is hard to justify paying 15-22k or something for them when you could pick up a FK2 Type-R which to me is a evolution in design from EP3,FN2 and FD2 but with a turbo.
The novelty of the FD2 though is being the last NA Type-R, import and lightest(lighter than Ep3?) is cool though but I dunno for the money I could justify it.

Last edited:
Associate
Complete with chocolate gearbox, questionable looks, and a fixed rear axle.
The fixed rear axle doesn't bother me too much as I don't really drive cars super hard or on track.
The looks will always be questionable but I like the looks of the FK2.
People that bang on about the gearbox being great, I got mixed opinion on it after driving it for 4 months. Gear changing doesn't feel as good as in comparison to the GT86, I dunno if its just me that prefer it but I prefer having reverse blocked off in the gear selection with a trigger of some sort.
In the GT86, to get in R you pull a lever on the gear stick to move it into R. Which kind of creates a "wall" if you like when you are changing between 1-6, it made going from neutral to in gears feeling tight and precise. Throw into gears in the Gt86 felt shorter too and I had a "OEM" TRD JDM gear knob which weighed about the same as the OEM TRD knob supplied to the UK, i've changed the OEM gearknob on the FK2 to a alcantara FK8 gear knob which was slightly heavier but the throws felt long still.
Apology for my lack of technical terms or explanation.

Soldato
If we are comparing like price of a FD2 Type-R and even JDM EP3 Type-R now, as great of a car they are and being NA. To me it is hard to justify paying 15-22k or something for them when you could pick up a FK2 Type-R which to me is a evolution in design from EP3,FN2 and FD2 but with a turbo.
The novelty of the FD2 though is being the last NA Type-R, import and lightest(lighter than Ep3?) is cool though but I dunno for the money I could justify it.

there's a reason ep3, fd2, dc5 etc are going up in value and FK2 etc are dropping. Turbo.

Some people look at the on-paper performance and think x is better than y but in reality the NA high reving Hondas is where honda has peaked.

think ek9, fd2, ep3, dc5, dc2, nsx r, s2000, euro r etc.

you can spend 16k on an FD2 and it'll be worth that or more in a couple years once you're bored of it, spend that on FK2 and it'll be worth 5K less.

like others said, it's not a looker either, too busy and space-ship like. Probably why Honda changed it for FL5 and gone back to more basic design which works so much better.

golden era Hondas will always be top for me but I do enjoy light, high revving, manual/communicative cars.

Associate
there's a reason ep3, fd2, dc5 etc are going up in value and FK2 etc are dropping. Turbo.

Some people look at the on-paper performance and think x is better than y but in reality the NA high reving Hondas is where honda has peaked.

think ek9, fd2, ep3, dc5, dc2, nsx r, s2000, euro r etc.

you can spend 16k on an FD2 and it'll be worth that or more in a couple years once you're bored of it, spend that on FK2 and it'll be worth 5K less.

like others said, it's not a looker either, too busy and space-ship like. Probably why Honda changed it for FL5 and gone back to more basic design which works so much better.

golden era Hondas will always be top for me but I do enjoy light, high revving, manual/communicative cars.
The Fk2 are holding their value still so potentially it will hold its value or increase in a couple years time since they were limited to the european market for their few year run.
A good condition FN2 are going up in price as well, but yeah I can understand looks for the FK2 and FK8 looks isn't for everyone.

Last edited:
Soldato
Out of interest I enquired about this one, mainly due to it having lowish miles compared to others.

http://www.autotrader.co.uk/car-details/202403047177361

I asked if they knew when it was imported, and by who etc.

They said it was 2007 but weren't sure who brought it over etc. said it came over on extremely low miles.

I checked the MOT History, and it's first one here in 2007 claimed to only be on like 600miles. This seemed a bit off to me?

It's a 2002 model, what's the chances this is genuine mileage? Part of me is thinking it got clocked or something during the import process, is that a thing?

Man of Honour
OP
That’s crazy money, you can get an FD2 for that and it’s no contest between them. No idea why DC5 prices are going crazy.

It’s likely the clocks were reset on import. I’m sure there’s a way to check the original auction data but with it being from 2007 it might not be available.

Soldato
That’s crazy money, you can get an FD2 for that and it’s no contest between them. No idea why DC5 prices are going crazy.

It’s likely the clocks were reset on import. I’m sure there’s a way to check the original auction data but with it being from 2007 it might not be available.

Yeah so true mileage could be much higher and for that price it would be a concern

I'm not going for one, fear not. I'd love to but the prices are just a bit much.

Saying that they are on par with cleaner s2000s which I am looking at so that statement from me makes no sense :D

Man of Honour
OP
My most recent white DC5 cost me £4k I think in 2017, yeah I got lucky as it was a mates and it hadn't moved for a few years, and it needed some TLC (little bit of paint for chips, a full polish, service etc). I know they've gone up but nearly £18k for a non FL seems madness.

Soldato

that's price is not right.. I've got mates who have bought clean PF and FL dc5s for 12-14k recently. So this is very much someone trying to flog one for more. I paid 15.8k for my FD2 just at the start of March.

Last edited:
Soldato
My most recent white DC5 cost me £4k I think in 2017, yeah I got lucky as it was a mates and it hadn't moved for a few years, and it needed some TLC (little bit of paint for chips, a full polish, service etc). I know they've gone up but nearly £18k for a non FL seems madness.

Yeah, seems many are aiming for around that price too which is a shame.

Maybe it will relax somewhat

Associate
I've had my DC5 for nearly 6 years - it is SORN at the moment (MOT lapsed last June), currently on 65,500ish miles and sits in my garage on charge. Gets turned over and moved around fairly frequently when I need to do stuff in the garage. Imported via Torque GT in 2018. It really needs a few things doing but since covid I'm permantly WFH and my children getting older, I just don't get to drive it. I remember them coming in nearly new at around £16k in 2005 - adjusted for inflation thats £27k approx in todays money. Good car, really need to book it in for its MOT!

Anyhow, just rambling, have a nice day :)

Associate
An FL5 came up for sale at a local dealer so decided to go for a nosey and drive. Absolutely loved it, nice to be back in a Honda again after so long. Not quite willing to sell the Bullitt yet but could definitely see myself in one of these in a few years. The interior was especially nice compared to the FK8.

PXL-20240430-104146361.jpg

PXL-20240430-104154048.jpg

Soldato
An FL5 came up for sale at a local dealer so decided to go for a nosey and drive. Absolutely loved it, nice to be back in a Honda again after so long. Not quite willing to sell the Bullitt yet but could definitely see myself in one of these in a few years. The interior was especially nice compared to the FK8.

PXL-20240430-104146361.jpg

PXL-20240430-104154048.jpg
Love the shades of Blue we are seeing lately, here and the GR86 for example

Back
Top Bottom