Ubuntu 10.04

Associate
Where's that?

I installed the restricted drivers due to a pop up appearing.

Have not seen anywhere to install restricted areas though?

Soldato
Where's that?

I installed the restricted drivers due to a pop up appearing.

Have not seen anywhere to install restricted areas though?

Make sure Universe & Multiverse is selected in software sources then..

Code:
 sudo apt-get install ubuntu-restricted-extras

Which worked for me.

If that doesn't work then get Carlees installer from here

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1414595

Soldato
i upgraded on Friday, bog standard atom mobo with 2gb ram the previous version was very slow for me at times opening OOo word processor, FF, Thunderbird an some others would grey the screen as everything lagged. all programs are opening pretty damn fast now

Soldato
i upgraded on Friday, bog standard atom mobo with 2gb ram the previous version was very slow for me at times opening OOo word processor, FF, Thunderbird an some others would grey the screen as everything lagged. all programs are opening pretty damn fast now

Really? I wouldn't have expected that with an Atom... they're a bit better than the P4s aren't they? And i've seen people running Ubuntu on a PIII smoothly, ran it on my old PII rig the other day and it was quite usable (will be sticking to Slitaz however).

Associate
Reading up on it looks like squirrel mail works on PHP 5.3, so you should be fine :D

I however am screwed, need to roll PHP back to 5.2

Soldato
Really? I wouldn't have expected that with an Atom... they're a bit better than the P4s aren't they? And i've seen people running Ubuntu on a PIII smoothly, ran it on my old PII rig the other day and it was quite usable (will be sticking to Slitaz however).

yeah i wasn't sure what it was but with it just bing used for browser/email duties i never bothers doing a fresh install or looking into much

Soldato
*sits in his arch linux desktop watching flash and minitube* :p

I have really gone off ubuntu since I have learnt a bit more over the years it seems they try and go there own way and it sometimes doesn't work.

Associate
Waited a few days after the release to install 10.04 as I heard of the bugs, but got round to installing it on my laptop yesterday and I gotta say its the best version yet by a far shot for me.

Everything worked out of the box as usual but the main difference is the speed, it's blisteringly fast, even the live cd before installing was fast! :eek:. Very chuffed with it, spotify works with no tweaking in wine (had to change sound settings on all previous versions of wine), also rhythmbox is fantastic, I can't believe it supports iphone and ipod touch syncing for music with no plugins or additional packages :eek:, just synced a few albums and it works great on the latest firmware on an iphone 3GS, I can ditch iTunes in virtual box now :p

Overall its very polished, the software centre is user friendly and nice, the default theme is also quite nice and the music store is a good addition.

I read on their website that 10.04 is optimized for SSDs so in the next few weeks when I get time I'm going to install it on my desktop with a vertex SSD. Cant wait!

Associate
upgraded to 10.04 from 9.10 NBR last night. very impressed and no issues so far apart from getting flash working but installed it via synaptics package manager rather than Firefox plugin and that resolved it.

Soldato
What the **** is this indicator-applet ****? It's trying to replace the system tray and doing a **** job. You can't decide what goes by the clock and what doesn't. This single fault had made me not want ubuntu any more. Not sure what distro I'll use next, but I'm moving.

Back
Top Bottom