Ubuntu 9.10 available now!

Associate
Upgraded to 9.10 today - the little differences from 9.04 are what makes it fantastic.

I've got a triple-boot setup on my MBP with Windows 7/OSX/Ubuntu. Before the upgrade, wireless was a bit shaky (that is, sometimes it would work sometimes it wouldn't - was never so concerned as to look into why). 9.10 sees the wireless working out of the box, all the MBP function keys (e.g. brightness and volume etc) work, Bluetooth, audio etc etc.

However, iPlayer doesn't work :( Is anybody else using the x64 9.10 and got iPlayer working in Firefox?

This is the showstopper for me - I listen to a iPlayer radio show every night when I go to bed, and because it doesn't work, I can't make the full move from Windows 7. And for some reason unbeknownst to me, none of the radio shows are available for download (the iPlayer desktop app works great for TV shows).

If anyone's had the same problem, and managed to fix it, I'll pay you absolutely no money at all if you can give me some pointers :D

EDIT: After a random Google searching tip-off, I installed Opera. iPlayer works fine within it :D So it seems it's down to Firefox!
EDIT2: Just tried it in Seamonkey - exactly the same as Firefox. It's something specific to Mozilla :confused:

Last edited:

JC

JC

Soldato
However, iPlayer doesn't work :( Is anybody else using the x64 9.10 and got iPlayer working in Firefox?

This is the showstopper for me - I listen to a iPlayer radio show every night when I go to bed, and because it doesn't work, I can't make the full move from Windows 7. And for some reason unbeknownst to me, none of the radio shows are available for download (the iPlayer desktop app works great for TV shows).

If anyone's had the same problem, and managed to fix it, I'll pay you absolutely no money at all if you can give me some pointers :D

EDIT: After a random Google searching tip-off, I installed Opera. iPlayer works fine within it :D So it seems it's down to Firefox!
EDIT2: Just tried it in Seamonkey - exactly the same as Firefox. It's something specific to Mozilla :confused:

I had the same problem with the latest version of Firefox and iPlayer.
I'm running a new 64bit 9.10 install and have ATI proprietary drivers.

I messed around reinstalling all different versions of flash to no avail, ended up where iPlayer would simply crash firefox. Then I found a thread on Ubuntu forums where someone linked it to Compiz.

I turned off compiz and firefox would play iplayer video without any problems using latest version of firefox and the 64 bit version 10 of flash.
But then the best bit..turned compiz back on and iplayer still works :D

Soldato
it's a shame they can't combine both 32bit and 64bit versions like Apple have done with OSX 10.6...

You can actually run 64-bit apps under a 32-bit kernel etc. It's all very clever...

I'm guessing 32-bit would be best for a 1.2GHz p3 rig with 640mb of RAM... Would it even run?

Soldato
Is the Gnome meta-package broken on 9.10 for anyone else? I'm getting an error for unmet dependencies:

The following packages have unmet dependencies.

gnome: Depends: gnome-desktop-environment (= 1:2.22.2~4ubuntu8) but it is not going to be installed
Depends: gnome-vfs-obexftp but it is not installable
E: Broken packages

when trying to "sudo apt-get install gnome" onto a test machine.

Also, 9.10 has broken the support for the webcam on my Advent 4211-C netbook (rebranded MSI Wind U100) so I think I'm going to revert to 9.04 as it was working fine in that.

Soldato
Fm2010 works using wine, just set it up and go.

thanks by the way guys before I go to bed after a long day

I've got wine installed I've got my CD in the drive

trying to get FM2010 to work in ubuntu......

I click on the .exe file and use wine to install
I see some window comes up to 100%
then a black screen flashes fast and I can't see what it says

I don't get it what am I doing wrong?

Soldato
I've updated my netbook to 9.10 UNR, which is very, very good.

I've only just updated my main desktop from 8.10 to 9.04, I think I'll wait for a couple of months to 9.10 as there seems to be quite a few problems.

No bloody drivers for my old ATI card in 9.04 though, would people recommend buying an nvidia card for ubuntu?

Associate
Anyone managed to get video working with the MSN network via a messaging client?

I've tried Empathy, aMSN and Emesene and none of them work.

Was really hoping to move over to Ubuntu permanently on my netbook, but as I only use it for Skype and MSN Video chats back to family in the UK thats impossible.

Looks like I'll be putting XP back on at this rate.

Soldato
I can't say I've noticed that much of a difference from 9.04. After playing with it in virtualbox for a while I've left my desktop at jaunty and moved my netbook to karmic.

Grub 2 is a mess. This may be unfair but it's definitely my opinion. Unsure whether it's worth learning how to configure or not when it appears to do the same thing as the previous version. Wasted on me perhaps.

@quackers Nvidia drivers and ubuntu have been great for me since 8.04. Currently using quadro drivers with no issues whatsoever. I thought amd support was good too but have no experience of it. Intel graphics support was shameful a couple of generations back, might be alright now.

@Rudeboy emesene and pidgin are both working out of the box for me. Unhelpful I know.

Back
Top Bottom