UEFA Champions League/Europa League 12/13/14 February *** Spoilers ***

Permabanned
I hope united do them over, but in reality getting an away goal is probably the target.

Even a 2-1 lose will be an OK result to take to old trafford.

The real scare IMO is midfield. The lack of any real commanding presence in midfield has been an issue since roy keane left.

Carrick is quality if he shows up, as is anderson. Nani/Valencia are shadows of the players from seasons past. Both are transfer list candidates IMO.

Wellbeck, jones, smalling cleverly

I hope none of these start.

Caporegime
It's easy to see why a Liverpool fan might still think AC Milan are all that in Europe, they were when Liverpool were in it :p

Blimey looking at that list Milan are even weaker than I thought!

Man of Honour
OP
Some classic games:

European Cup semi-final, 2nd leg, April 25, 1957

Manchester United 2-2 Madrid

European Cup semi-final, 2nd leg, Bernabeu, May 15, 1968

Real Madrid 3-3 Manchester United

Champions League quarter-final, 2nd leg, Old Trafford, April 19 2000

United 2-3 Madrid

Champions League quarter-final, 1st leg, Bernabeu, April 8, 2003

Madrid 3-1 United

Champions League quarter-final, 2ng leg, Old Trafford, April 23 2003

United 4-3 Madrid:

Permabanned
Milan squad is...above average, but still very beatable.

They're in the rebuilding process really. A lot of their top players retired/were moved on. Only players that remain from their golden era are Ambrosini/Abbiati.

Soldato
I hope none of these start.

If Cleverley doesn't start then we dont have a hope in hell, he's become that important to the way we play

Milan squad is...above average, but still very beatable.

They're in the rebuilding process really.

Seems like Milan's rebuilding process has being going on as long as that of Arsenal and Liverpool's :p

Permabanned
I would disagree. Rooney runs the team. He is the creative flair more often then not. The team can live without Cleverly easily, without Rooney, the team really is lacking.

A quality player he will be, but not just yet.

De Gea better be on fire too. Great shoot stopper, but he has no balls, and is dreadful under pressure. Fergie needs to get him in the gym, as he's far too lightweight for a keeper.

Associate
I know nobody will be watching on here tonignt but Shakhtar Donetsk vs Borussia*Dortmund could be a cracker. Might even be brave and say it could be a better quality match then Real vs Man Utd !!!

Soldato
Personally I would say there are at least 1/2 dozen famous players in Milan's team (Robinho, Mexes, Muntari, Boateng, Flamini, Ambrosini, De Jong and Ballotelli ) although I suspect the latter cant play tonight after being cup tied?

Admittedly some of those are as much from City/Arsenal roots or previous links to Utd, but imo its impossible to say which roster is more famous than the other

Soldato
I know nobody will be watching on here tonignt but Shakhtar Donetsk vs Borussia*Dortmund could be a cracker. Might even be brave and say it could be a better quality match then Real vs Man Utd !!!

I agree, Dortmund are a great side to watch these days.

Associate
Personally I would say there are at least 1/2 dozen famous players in Milan's team (Robinho, Mexes, Muntari, Boateng, Flamini, Ambrosini, De Jong and Ballotelli ) although I suspect the latter cant play tonight after being cup tied?

Admittedly some of those are as much from City/Arsenal roots or previous links to Utd, but imo its impossible to say which roster is more famous than the other

And you failed to mention their player of the season El Shaarawy. Famous players.... who cares it wouldn't matter if all those players were better or more famous than the Utd side anyway they'd be discredited as the weaker side. You need to step up against an English side and truly humiliate them if you want any praise coming your direction from Sky Sports or ITV.

It could be a close game the Milan - Barca match even without Balotelli, although I'd have Barca going through comfortably with a 3 goal advantage after two legs, this Milan team is a couple of years short of a genuine challenge.

Last edited:
Permabanned

Robinho - Lost his spark years ago
Mexes - Truly awful defender
Muntari - Good, but never great
Boateng - A flop from what I've seen of him
Flamini - Only known in this country due to playing for Arsenal
Ambrosini - Awesome DM back in the 90's/early 2000's...
De Jong - Who ;)
Ballotelli - Over rated

Names they have, quality is certainly lacking :cool:

Associate
Robinho - Lost his spark years ago
Mexes - Truly awful defender
Muntari - Good, but never great
Boateng - A flop from what I've seen of him
Flamini - Only known in this country due to playing for Arsenal
Ambrosini - Awesome DM back in the 90's/early 2000's...
De Jong - Who ;)
Ballotelli - Over rated

Names they have, quality is certainly lacking :cool:

You called Muntari good never watched a Serie A game then.

Associate
Not in a while, no. Italian football is stale.

Maybe to those spoon fed all their information and thoughts from the TV and no objectivity to their way of thinking. It was true once upon a time perhaps but that was long before I got round to following the league myself, some of the best Football is being played in Italy right now, shame it's not getting the results the teams trying to innovate more than usual should be. I don't think there's another league out there that has as many teams playing with 3 in the back as in Italy right now.

Napoli, Lazio, Fiorentina, Sampdoria and Roma have been great to watch this season and I'm sure you saw what Napoli were capable of in last seasons Champions League tie with Chelsea.

Anyway each to their own, after all there are people out there that find Real Madrid and Barcelona to watch there's no pleasing everyone. Hopefully Juve quietly get on with their job and take out some of Europe's best a long the way.

Man of Honour
Our team:

ZxOY05il.jpg

Real XI: Diego Lopez; Arbeloa, Varane, Ramos, Coentrao; Alonso, Khedira; Di Maria, Ozil, Ronaldo; Benzema

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom