UEFA Champions League/Europa League 13/14/15 March *** Spoilers ***

Man of Honour
2-0 Sporting. :eek:

Great free kick.

Balotelli gave the free kick away cheaply for that, he looks in a very bad mood and Mancini just had a rage at him. :D

Soldato
Man Utd shouldn't take that too hard, they came up against a team with immense determination to beat them, Bilbao are a good side, but those will be two of their best performances all season, they were everywhere for 60 minutes in the first leg, and all of the second leg. Man Utd didn't help themselves with poor technique and not building many moves, but they did so much chasing it's hard to get your head up and pick the right pass when you're knackered and a Bilbao player is already a few yards away closing down almost all your options. They were fitter, more intense and technically outstanding, but they're not that good every week

This, doesn't stop Shami proclaiming all is wrong with Man Utd though :o

The way I see it is that if Bilbao are 7th in their league on a weekly basis they're doing something much different than what we've seen over these two legs. Over these two legs they've been equally as good as Barcelona were against us in 09 and last year at Wembley and Bilbao are obviously no Barcelona.

What makes me laugh though is that you get the usual suspects moaning about the same old thing week after week and yet as I type this City are 3-0 down at home to a team vastly inferior to the team that knocked us out and yet forgive me if I'm wrong are City not the bench mark that all other English club sides should be measured these days?

Man of Honour
This, doesn't stop Shami proclaiming all is wrong with Man Utd though :o

The way I see it is that if Bilbao are 7th in their league on a weekly basis they're doing something much different than what we've seen over these two legs. Over these two legs they've been equally as good as Barcelona were against us in 09 and last year at Wembley and Bilbao are obviously no Barcelona.

What makes me laugh though is that you get the usual suspects moaning about the same old thing week after week and yet as I type this City are 3-0 down at home to a team vastly inferior to the team that knocked us out and yet forgive me if I'm wrong are City not the bench mark that all other English club sides should be measured these days?

I have to disagree. Our midfield was obliterated tonight. We all know and agree that it needs strengthening and that just gets highlighted in any big game.

We're Manchester United, we shouldn't be getting stuffed by a team like Bilbao, despite them being very good. We effectively had a midfield out there that did nothing all night.

Man City are just in their self destruct mode tonight, nothing new there. :p

Soldato
Best league in the world :cool:

I don't think many people would have said that in the last 2-3 years tho. It's really been on the decline and few people would deny that.

When the top two teams in the league (who are 14 and 13 points above 3rd place respectively), get so utterly trounced against 'average' european competition, it's clear the EPL is no longer the benchmark for national football leagues.

:(

Man of Honour
To be honest, City have a team as good as any other (save for RM/Barca) on paper. They just have some fairly serious disciplinary issues and aren't all that much of a 'team'.

Man Utd at full strength aren't exactly poor either, I know.

Last edited:
Soldato
I have to disagree. Our midfield was obliterated tonight. We all know and agree that it needs strengthening and that just gets highlighted in any big game.

We're Manchester United, we shouldn't be getting stuffed by a team like Bilbao, despite them being very good. We effectively had a midfield out there that did nothing all night.

Man City are just in their self destruct mode tonight, nothing new there. :p

What exactly do you disagree with? I didn't actually comment on our performance :p

What I disagree with is the notion that our midfield is found out in every big game, unless your definition of a big game are those against Spanish sides of course? This season we've beaten Arsenal twice, City twice, Spurs twice and Chelsea & Liverpool once a piece, those to me are big games and this season we've done better than we have ever done in one season in these games.

The whole we're Man Utd and shouldn't be beat is BS, no team has a divine right to win any game and at the end of the day you look at the defeats we've suffered to Ajax and in both Bilbao games only tonight could you suggest we've put out a full strength side and that was away from home with a team with a 2 goal advantage (and even tonight there was no Nani, Valencia or Vidic or are all undoubtedly first choice)

Back
Top Bottom