UEFA Champions League/Europa League 13/14/15 March *** Spoilers ***

Man of Honour
What exactly do you disagree with? I didn't actually comment on our performance :p

What I disagree with is the notion that our midfield is found out in every big game, unless your definition of a big game are those against Spanish sides of course? This season we've beaten Arsenal twice, City twice, Spurs twice and Chelsea & Liverpool once a piece, those to me are big games and this season we've done better than we have ever done in one season.

I wasn't sure if you were calling me a 'usual suspect' or not. I try to be positive and don't complain about everything (or at least I thought so anyway). :p

The whole we're Man Utd and shouldn't be beat is BS, no team has a divine right to win any game and at the end of the day you look at the defeats we've suffered to Ajax and in both Bilbao games only tonight could you suggest we've put out a full strength side and that was away from home with a team with a 2 goal advantage (and even tonight there was no Nani, Valencia or Vidic or are all undoubtedly first choice)

I absolutely agree with that and that isn't what I said (or at least what I meant). I just mean that you would expect a bit more tactical astuteness for games like the one tonight.

I think with Vidic back and Nani playing well, we'd really be doing a lot better than we are now. Especially now De Gea is hopefully starting to get settled as well. We've missed Valencia too as he's carried the team going forward a lot of the time over the past few weeks.

Caporegime
I can't see how Vidic/Nani/Valencia would have made a difference. Fact is we just couldn't do the simple stuff, our movement and passing was atrocious. They basically missed 3 or 4 glorious chances in addition to a host of other chances.

Soldato
Man Utd do need to improve in midfield if they're to win games like this, they're very well suited to the Prem, but European teams will keep doing this to United until the midfield improves, usually they're resilient enough in defence to see games like this through, but tonight the midfield weren't even good enough to launch counter attacks, never mind build full attacks, and that is a worry.

Soldato
Oh well, at least we were pit out of our misery tonight, totally outplayed over 2 games.

And i must say, well done to Chelsea, great game last night and very good entertainment.

Soldato
Man Utd do need to improve in midfield if they're to win games like this, they're very well suited to the Prem, but European teams will keep doing this to United until the midfield improves, usually they're resilient enough in defence to see games like this through, but tonight the midfield weren't even good enough to launch counter attacks, never mind build full attacks, and that is a worry.

Like you said it was the pressing that we struggled with most tonight, when you're being pressed under possession every second of the game it's going to lead to mistakes it's only natural and then to avoid making mistakes you end up resorting to just lumping it down the pitch and conceding possession that way, it's tough to know what the answer is against teams that deploy that kind of strategy.

I suppose one answer would be fitter younger players so I guess in that respect we didn't help ourselves having a not match fit Cleverley playing with Carrick, Giggs & Park all players in their thirties. Obviously when we're given time and space on the ball we can destroy anyone and that's why Scholes has looked so good since he's come back because in the PL you generally get that time and space (how times have changed because it used to be the reverse and you got all the time and space in Europe but not in the PL)

Back
Top Bottom