UEFA Champions League/Europa League 15/16/17 Feb *** Spoilers ***

It is a point actually that I thought of at half time.

For those that support sides playing negatively when having to just how good an advertisement was tonight's game for technical ability, passing, tackling, movement etc.? For all the excitement, only 4 minutes of extra time in total was played.

It's fantastic for both sets of fans, and for neutrals as well - limited only by their finishing and little else.

Someone else complained that we bought our players and they cost more. I just proved him wrong.

Ding ding ding

In his original post I wouldn't say it was a complaint, and he did say 'Well done Arsenal' at the end.

I think it's an interesting discussion point about homegrown players and youth systems but if all we're supposed to do in this thread is go;

'Fantastic Arsenal' then i'll bow out.

It is a point actually that I thought of at half time.

For those that support sides playing negatively when having to just how good an advertisement was tonight's game for technical ability, passing, tackling, movement etc.? For all the excitement, only 4 minutes of extra time in total was played.

It's fantastic for both sets of fans, and for neutrals as well - limited only by their finishing and little else.

wasnt it 2 minutes?, nothing at end of first, 2 at the end of the 90?
Mind you clichy spent an extra minute figuring out if it was a throw in or freekick :P

But very good point.

A really excellent match; both teams played majestically; Barca the better in the 1st 45 minutes and Arsenal very much better in the 2nd half - but a class act for both teams :)

Good question. Can anyone on sonething faster than iPhone find out?

You brought it up (not sure whether it was a subtle shot at sarcasm though)

Arsenal spend less than many of the other premium clubs they compete with and can still perform at a similar level. It's something Arsenal should be proud of.

As I say though nit taking anything away from arsenal, rode your luck but deserved your win.

You always are taking something away as you always give a back handed compliment with whatever you say. It's not the first time either. Allow me to demonstrate.

Fair play to Alves staying up. Drogba, Torres and co would have swan dived for the pen.

Good win for Arsenal but must agree they have road their luck a little.

2nd example pretty much mirrors the first

Just to pull you on this Barca may buy the occasional big signing but 7 of their starters were homegrown free players.

Majority of your team is purchased.

But still, well done Arsenal

Final example from you.

Despite what you think, you are ALWAYS taking something away by leaving some backhanded comment.

Woz: Free (Home grown)
Clichy: Free (Hg)
Johan Dj: Free (Hg)
Kos: £8.45m
Eboue: Undisclosed
Song: £1m (HG)
Wilshire: Free (HG)
Cesc: Free (Hg)
Nasri: £12.5m
Theo: £5-£12m (Hg)
RvP: £2.75m
Arshavin: Undisclosed (~£15m)
Bender: Free (Hg)

So everyone who played for Arsenal today cost between £52.7m and £59.7m

Valdes: Free (Hg)
Pique: E 11.5m (Hg-ish, they had to buy him back)
Maxwell E 5m
Abidal E 15m
Alves £23-£30m
Iniesta: Free (Hg)
Xavi: Free (Hg)
Busquets: Free (Hg)
Pedro: Free (Hg)
Messi: Free (Hg)
Villa: E 40m
Keita: E14m
Correia: E 9.5-E 13

Barcelona cost E95-E99 plus £23-£30m for Alves at whatever the Euro rate is. So ~E122.5m to E128m

Thanks for sorting that out. So Newts, again Arsenal showing great value :)

Last edited:
I think it's a bit pathetic how some people are trying to take away from Arsenal's performance by making useless and pointless lists of who's homegrown/bought... clutching at straws much? It's completely irrelevant.

What on earth are you on about?

Great win for Arsenal, hard work coming from behind too.

What's that really got to do with anything? You could point to how much Wolves squad costs compared with Man Utd's but they still beat us.

Not taking away from some of Arsenal's better players that cost them a pittance (the likes of Fabregas & Van Persie) but just because you beat Barcelona or are up there with Man Utd/Chelsea/City in the league doesn't mean these players that you're team is built around would get into the other clubs sides. Do you really think your keeper, any of tonight's defence, Song or Walcott would get in the United, Chelsea, City, Barcelona teams?

I think the young arsenal keeper is fantastic. I don't know if gunners who see him more regularly would agree but I think he's saved you the need to go out and purchase a keeper.

The Arsenal defence is weak though compared to most other top clubs. Really expected Wenger to have bought a CB in January.

Can't wait till the second leg :D

I think the young arsenal keeper is fantastic. I don't know if gunners who see him more regularly would agree but I think he's saved you the need to go out and purchase a keeper.

For once I agree. We finally have a keeper that is in line with a club. Almunia was and is a massive handicap. Even if I was a Div 1 team, he wouldn't get into my team. I've always felt a keeper is something that can give a side around 10 points per season (in terms of goals saved that end up being wins or games drawn). With Almunia we were actually LOSING points because of him, rather than salvaging them.

I was pulling someone for making a vague statement about Barca spending mega money as if Arsenal never did. Especially as Barca are famed fir their own youth development program. It merely developed from there as an interesting discussion point so untwist your panties.

Shocked that RvP only cost 2.5mil. That was a snip!

I'm not bothered about you over analysing my comments as I still think it was a good win, but a few lucky calls helped with it.

It's the CL, every team gets lucky at times, particularly in the big games.

Liverpool were lucky the ref decided the ball had definitely crossed the line

Barca were lucky no penalties were given against them at Chelsea.

Inter were lucky that 2nd goal was disallowed at the Nou.

Always happens, something about cup tie-like games. Anyway, buzzing over the victory but realistic to realise it'll take something truly special to get an away result.

My understanding is that you can play in the Champions League before the Jan transfer window and drop to the Europa League, obviously, because a player's own club may well go down that path. :p

You can't go the other way, or stay in either competition with two different clubs though.

So as Ajax were in this year's Champions League, my understanding of the stupidly complex rules is that he's fine for Liverpool in Europe for the rest of the year.

Does anyone else think that ITV "interviewer" is a bit of an 4rs3? I see the highlights blanked out his speaking thankfully.

Back
Top Bottom