UEFA Champions League/Europa League 15/16/17 Feb *** Spoilers ***

Kos tackling Pedro. Last man and everything. Sure someone said Pedro hand balled it first though so meh.

That was never a penalty, and Pedro did handball it.

Koscielny was Man of the Match for me.

Wilshere played really well and showed some great composure and confidence at such a high level. For me Fabregas' contribution was overlooked a bit - he was constantly looking to be an out-ball for those around him, then taking time to make sure Arsenal retained possession. Not the sort of performance you'd expect to see from Fabregas normally, but imo hugely important to Arsenal staying in the game.

As a neutral, it was one of the best games I've seen in a long time.

Koscielny on Pedro wasn't a penalty, and it was a handball by Pedro, if there was a sniff of a pen he'd have walked, I didn't think it was a pen at all though.

Also, why are people saying Barca could have had 3 or 4? if you assume they should have scored all their decent chances then surely you do the same for Arsenal, who had a fantastic chance in the opening minutes then several more over the span of the game. That always confuses me, saying one team should have had x goals and then ignoring the other teams chances

Also, in both games at The Emirates, Barca have looked knackered by 60 minutes in both games, they don't seem to have the intensity to play their pressing game past 60 mins or so, as they're so used to always having the ball and usually the game is over at half time for them

Last edited:
jakeke, it's because there's 3 or 4 people here who no matter what happens just hate on Arsenal regardless. R5Rich for one, I've never read so much drivel. The game must have been awesome for a neutral to watch, kinda funny how before the game there were people saying Arsenal would never beat Barcelona blah blah blah and then as soon as we do beat them it's Arsenal will never beat them in Spain... change the record? Yes we were fortunate with some refereeing decisions but we aren't undeserved winners.

Yep, I didn't read much from R5Rich apart from a line or two of his early rant yesterday, could tell straight away he just wanted a stick to beat Arsenal with

For the record last night was one of the best games I've ever seen and I thought Arsenal played fantastically well. Can't remember seeing a team try to take on this Barca side at football and winning, everyone said it can't be done, loads of credit is due.

Last edited:
For the record last night was one of the best games I've ever seen and I thought Arsenal played fantastically well. Can't remember seeing a team try to take on this Barca side at football and winning, everyone said it can't be done, loads of credit is due.

Few teams play like arsenal. It was the only way they could. Betis was the lst team i saw take on barca in the same style but they were 5-0 down in the first leg

im famous!

I don't hate on Arsenal at all I enjoy there style of football, why wouldn't I?
Wenger is the English counterpart of Peps philosophy and style its an absolute joy to watch. If I like one, surely I would like the other?

My points yesterday about listening to Arsenal fans bang on about how great they are now (I work with several Arsenal fans) is the fact that you haven't won anything in ages and are the nearly team for a while now.

For the people I work with to go on about the them today like they are almighty is just absurd.
I understand the reasoning behind it because it was a great win, 2 great goals, played in a beautiful way and shows that you do NOT need the inter all 11 behind the ball style to beat them.

But lets at least put it in perspective.

One thing that crossed my mind this morning though which I hadn't thought of before and don't remember seeing it discussed on here unlike Sir Alex is, who would replace Wenger?

They said yesterday thats 15 years in charge now, something that will never happen again same for SAF those days are gone.
Who would Arsenal fans like to see take over from him? There is always talk of UTD fans and Jose as he is the only one supposedly capable of stepping up to the plate.

Wengers style is different to most though and not easily replicated.

North London Pwnt European football this week and credit where credits due both played well :)

Arsenal looked shaky at times last night though and if Wishere hadn't had such a storming game they would have struggled.

Most Arsenal fans would probably wish for Pep, not sure if it'd be doable though, does make sense though and he's always very complimentary about Arsenal. Just seems like a lovely chap

Thought you supported United.

Well shows how much you know:p...he definitely doesnt support Utd...you havent been here long enough if you think that:p.

jakeke, it's because there's 3 or 4 people here who no matter what happens just hate on Arsenal regardless. R5Rich for one, I've never read so much drivel. The game must have been awesome for a neutral to watch, kinda funny how before the game there were people saying Arsenal would never beat Barcelona blah blah blah and then as soon as we do beat them it's Arsenal will never beat them in Spain... change the record? Yes we were fortunate with some refereeing decisions but we aren't undeserved winners.

Indeed, its why when i read a few of his posts regarding Arsenal i just laughed and told him hes talking absolute ********.

Anyhow still on cloud 9 about last nights win over Barca, we managed to do what Utd and Chelsea havent done and thats beat Barca...sure theres still the 2nd leg but after last nights performance, im very positive that we can beat them at the nou camp as long as we stick to our game plan like we did last night. It was truly a great night for an Arsenal fan and i dont know if its me but the Emirates was rocking last night...a lot more louder than usual as ive heard people say the atmosphere there sucks at the best of times. Glad to see the Arsenal supporters making a real racket last night.

Makes me laugh that a few people in here are trying to take the gloss off our win last night by saying we were fortunate with the decisions. Sure we were but Utd, Chelsea and other teams have had decisions go their way too so why not us for a change??. The only bad decision i saw last night was Messi's offside goal which wasnt offside...Kos wasnt going to get a red card for his challenge on Pedro as he handballed it and secondly Arshavin didnt intentionally handball the ball...in fact the ref played the advantage to Pedro....so it all evens out in the end. As i said a few pages back...unfortunately for Barca the ref was inept...fortunately for us he was inept:p.

Last night was a great night for football, 2 teams that play absolutely gorgeous football going toe to toe unlike the Spuds and AC which lets be honest was a complete and utter borefest....only highlight was Gattuso's rage and headbutt:p

Most Arsenal fans would probably wish for Pep, not sure if it'd be doable though, does make sense though and he's always very complimentary about Arsenal. Just seems like a lovely chap

Yep i was about to say the same myself...id love to see Pep take over from Wenger if the chance arises. In fact they were saying last night that hes about to sign a one yr contract extension....

Absolutely fantastic result for arsenal last night! :D Wilshere was fantastic. It will still be very difficult to win the tie though as you'd expect barca to win at home, but they've given themselves a great chance. Shame about clichy's awful positioning on the first goal or it could have been even better.

edit: spawn I'm not sure what you mean that chelsea and man u haven't beaten barcelona? :confused:

Last edited:
I think the stress of the job at Barca is absolutely mental though, that level of pressure isn't really for everybody and I imagine it can really get on top of you after a while

He renewed for 1 more year and said if he could he would have 6 months contracts. He also said sometime when he got the job that he saw himselg 3-4 years tops at barca. Strange guy.

Hmmm strange thing for him to say i guess...hes Barca through and through though...was part of their European winning squad a while back...personally i think Barca would be nuts to let him go...well he can come to Arsenal no problems:).

Back
Top Bottom