UEFA Champions League/Europa League 15/16/17 Feb *** Spoilers ***

He will be one of the top 4 longest lasting managers at Barca by all accounts and he hasn't been there long!

I THINK his reasoning to one year contracts is if it doesn't go his way and they want to get rid of him it works both ways.
He could have a bad season have fall out from the fans etc.. and have like 5 years left on a contract.
Realistically not many now seem to see them out!

He has also won everything there already so what else would there be for him to do? Guess its a challenge else where.

Who are peoples predictions to win CL overall? One team who I have seen next to nothing off this season is Bayern but its my understanding that Robben is finally fit again and playing.

I think the stress of the job at Barca is absolutely mental though, that level of pressure isn't really for everybody and I imagine it can really get on top of you after a while

You think?

wt9bti.png

What a bloody game, Arsenal started well then kind of gave in to the pressure but coming out like that at half time a goal down? utterly amazing, I don't think I sat down all game sat at home screaming at the TV all by myself :p

Koscielny man of the match by a million miles, he totally nullified some of the big names and I pray to god he'll do it at the Nou Camp where the pressure will be even higher. Also huge props to Song, I think the card calmed him down a bit but he made some amazing plays.
Watching Barca play last night gave me nightmares from a few years back in the final where they played like rabid dogs.

Koscielny man of the match by a million miles, he totally nullified some of the big names and I pray to god he'll do it at the Nou Camp where the pressure will be even higher.

Surely Jack Wilshere was the Man of the Match?! He had a great second half, he had a much better game than Cesc, to the point where you wondered which one was the world class experienced one!

Also, in both games at The Emirates, Barca have looked knackered by 60 minutes in both games, they don't seem to have the intensity to play their pressing game past 60 mins or so, as they're so used to always having the ball and usually the game is over at half time for them

Think that's the key to it, and why we lost so heavily last year. We have to hold them at bay for as long as we can and let them tire out. We're the side that has more physical players, let's tire them out.

I've seen plenty of times they win games very quickly - if not they often struggle and it gets nervous.

Both were absolutely fantastic. Koscielny edged it though, time after time he stepped out of defence and cleared up and distributed well.

Not even close, Wilshire was absolutely brilliant throughout, multiple times rather than under pressure give away a pass that went no where or was a bad pass he rode a challenge and came out with the ball in space, and able to move forwards. Something that Cesc has done for so long now, riding a challenge and moving forwards is immensely useful to the team, on top of every other part of his game being fantastic last night.

Djourou and Kos, multiple times were caught flat footed by passes in behind, unfortunately they always look flat footed, they conceded a goal doing it and probably were very lucky to have another dissallowed, and several others go just wide or not end up in the net. THey made that same mistake all night, they don't stand side on, the stand flat and facing forwards, when a runs made they don't match it, they just pray its offside. Yes Kos was huge in other situations, he made interceptions and he was very strong. But he got caught out MULTIPLE times, very easily, and just because it didn't cost us the win, it did cost us.

Bit angry at Wengers interview talk post game, he took a gamble and it paid off? Firstly the gamble of having Cesc, RVP, Bendtner, Nasri, ARshavin, Wilshire on, thats two strikers, two people we play as wingers, a DM and Cesc, thats how we should play every single game, and we frequently get into panic mode with 3 or even 4 strikers on the pitch.

THe problem is, Wenger thinks thats a gamble, against Barca, the very key to dominating them is attacking them, that should have been the starting line up and we should have pressed them the entire game. Barca seem to have come back from the internationals very badly, look how easily we got to them and how little they offered in the first 10 minutes and the 10 minutes after Bendtner/Arshavin were on, then we stopped going forward and were under constant pressure in the final minutes.

When will Wenger learn playing defensively and a defensive formation, with nothing but attacking players is the gamble, playing to our strengths, with our best players on the pitch isn't a gamble and will never be a gamble.

When we attacked, we were fantastic last night, Nasri/Theo/RVP weren't even involved in the game in the long periods we weren't pressing forwards.

I've said for years, with the right players on the pitch we've had a team capable of winning everything, Wenger only ever plays those guys as a last resort though, has cost us so many times for 5 years, and I fear its going to cost us VERY badly in the second leg.

Arsenal also have an extra 24 hours rest before the game as Barca play in their domestic league on the Sunday.

Indeed, Pique is suspended and Puyol may still be injured too. Could turn out to be doable if all of Arsenal's key players stay fit and Arsenal get the first goal and then don't collapse. I'm not silly enough to have that much hope, but I'm certainly more upbeat than I thought I'd be

I wonder if they have a template on the Tottenham site set up for Woodgate injuries.

Jonathan Woodgate has sustained a [insert injury] of the [insert body part], a scan has confirmed this evening ([insert date]).

Djourou and Kos, multiple times were caught flat footed by passes in behind, unfortunately they always look flat footed, they conceded a goal doing it

They didn't concede a goal doing it. Clichy was way out of position and played villa onside. They were flat footed on other occasions but the goal was not their fault.

Yep, plus some of Messi/Villa/Pedro's movement last night was nothing short of sensational, undefendable in parts I would say. Certainly harsh to criticise the defence last night when considering Arsenal's midfield/attack were pushed so high up, and Eboue was playing, they were left a bit exposed. I thought with all things considered (especially the opposition) it was a very good defensive performance and much better than I thought it'd be.

Back
Top Bottom