UEFA Champions League/Europa League 25/26/27 February *** Spoilers ***

Soldato
They aren’t the same sport? In much the same way we don’t use snicko from cricket.

Rugby doesn't use snicko. It uses a referee, a video referee, and video replays, just like football.

The only difference is that rugby has a process that keeps the fans informed, leaves room for common sense, and doesn't take a bloody age and kill the atmosphere. It amazes me football makes such an absolute hash of it.

Don
I thought it was a red for denying a goalscoring opportunity rather than denying a goal?
It wasn't an opportunity that was denied though, the opportunity had already happened. Some years back there was the Ox/Gibbs incident where Ox handled in a similar fashion but the ref mistakenly sent Gibbs off. Gibbs red was obviously rescinded as it had nothing to do with him and normally the red would simply be transferred to Ox but he was cleared after it was decided the ball wasn't going in.

fez

fez

Caporegime
Rugby doesn't use snicko. It uses a referee, a video referee, and video replays, just like football.

The only difference is that rugby has a process that keeps the fans informed, leaves room for common sense, and doesn't take a bloody age and kill the atmosphere. It amazes me football makes such an absolute hash of it.

And the fact that most of the decisions in Rugby are very cut and dry. When they are not, unsurprisingly it takes much longer. There are far more subjective decisions to make in football and the time it takes to decide some things reflects that.

Soldato
And the fact that most of the decisions in Rugby are very cut and dry. When they are not, unsurprisingly it takes much longer. There are far more subjective decisions to make in football and the time it takes to decide some things reflects that.

Nonsense, there are many subjective decisions to be made in rugby, far more than football. Arms in the tackle, deliberate knock on, marginal forward passes, all much harder than a simple offside.

With the TMO guidelines in place, we would never have had to wait for that pointless penalty VAR decision, because the decision to review lies with the referee, and he was happy it was a penalty and a red on the pitch.

The video referee would be free to pipe up and say "I think we need to check that", on a broadcast mic, so everyone knows what's going on. The replays get broadcast and shown on a big screen so the crowd can be involved and cheer as the replays play.

Instead we have this ridiculous situation where suddenly everyone just stands around twiddling their thumbs doing nothing and getting bored, so a blindingly obvious on field decision can not be overturned.

fez

fez

Caporegime
Nonsense, there are many subjective decisions to be made in rugby, far more than football. Arms in the tackle, deliberate knock on, marginal forward passes, all much harder than a simple offside.

Those are all quickly dealt with in rugby for the most part by either just deciding one way or the other or the decision appears to take less time because the ref is talking to the TMO and we can hear them discuss it. They don't use the same level of tech as football and don't seem to care so much about being right. That being said, they still take ages for tricky decisions.

A forward pass is exactly the same as an offside decision but they don't use as much tech so its always up for debate.

I have seen plenty of rugby decisions take ages. People just don't whinge as much and the clock is stopped while it happens.

Soldato
Those are all quickly dealt with in rugby for the most part by either just deciding one way or the other or the decision appears to take less time because the ref is talking to the TMO and we can hear them discuss it. They don't use the same level of tech as football and don't seem to care so much about being right. That being said, they still take ages for tricky decisions.

A forward pass is exactly the same as an offside decision but they don't use as much tech so its always up for debate.

I have seen plenty of rugby decisions take ages. People just don't whinge as much and the clock is stopped while it happens.

People don't whinge because people know what is going on and can see the replay themselves, and they don't waste time endlessly reviewing blindingly obvious decisions.

It's a problem with the VAR process, not a problem with tech or rules of the game problem

Back
Top Bottom