UEFA Champions League Final Man City v Inter Milan ** spoilers ** [Saturday 10th June 2023 @ 8pm]

Soldato
United’s treble may have been more exciting but City have basically breezed through theirs in a far more impressive way.
Far too much hyperbole around this City team. Yes they are good and have a great squad to compete over a season....but they haven't been sweeping all before them like some footballing gods like the press would have you believe.

Arsenal bottled the league, and the FA and CL finals were narrow wins.

The rest of Europe might as well give up and stop playing if you believe all the gushing, it's a bit much.

Soldato

Anyone else completely agree with him?

Far too much hyperbole around this City team. Yes they are good and have a great squad to compete over a season....but they haven't been sweeping all before them like some footballing gods like the press would have you believe.

Arsenal bottled the league, and the FA and CL finals were narrow wins.

The rest of Europe might as well give up and stop playing if you believe all the gushing, it's a bit much.

No, No they didn’t. Arsenal were an under dog to get the CL let alone finish runners up! The squad just isn’t big enough. They far exceeded expectation and should be applauded.

The finals narrow wins, the FA cup there was only going to be one winner. That wasn’t even a penalty.

Last edited:
Soldato
Soldato

Anyone else completely agree with him?

No, No they didn’t. Arsenal were an under dog to get the CL let alone finish runners up! The squad just isn’t big enough. They far exceeded expectation and should be applauded.

The finals narrow wins, the FA cup there was only going to be one winner. That wasn’t even a penalty.
I mean they really did, I didnt think so at the time but to win 12 points from 27 whilst going 2 up in games at the business end of the season when it matters the most is bottling it.

Associate

They 100% bottled it, 8 point lead on two occasions in the league and losing is bottling.

Last edited:
Soldato
I mean they really did, I didnt think so at the time but to win 12 points from 27 whilst going 2 up in games at the business end of the season when it matters the most is bottling it.

They shouldn’t have even been in that position!

If it was the other way around, 12 from their opening 9 games then went on an amazing run to get CL and finish clear second place. It’d be seen as absolutely monumental! I’m on the thinking that they just used all their momentum/energy and everything they had in order to lead for so long but just didn’t have enough in the end. Like a marathon race where some bloke who isn’t fancied to win or even get a podium just goes **** it and sprints from the get go but by the time the finish line is in sight he’s absolutely gassed and the much fitter stronger runners are catching up with him and are right behind him with much more in the tank.

Soldato

If it was the other way around, 12 from their opening 9 games then went on an amazing run to get CL and finish clear second place. It’d be seen as absolutely monumental! I’m on the thinking that they just used all their momentum/energy and everything they had in order to lead for so long but just didn’t have enough in the end. Like a marathon race where some bloke who isn’t fancied to win or even get a podium just goes **** it and sprints from the get go but by the time the finish line is in sight he’s absolutely gassed and the much fitter stronger runners are catching up with him and are right behind him with much more in the tank.
Irrelevant, they were. They were top for 248 days and had a 8 point lead at one point...they bottled it.

Caporegime

Your squad argument is correct. It’s no coincidence that our form dropped off when we lost by far and away our best defender and one of the best in the league in Saliba, and replaced him with an absolute walking disaster in Holding.

fez

fez

Caporegime
It is both possible to not be expected to win at the start of the season and to also bottle it from a lead

Whoa there, expectations cannot change and you can’t bottle something unless you were always expected to win it.

How anyone can argue that Arsenal didn’t bottle the title is beyond me.

Caporegime
Anyone that doesn't win anything these days is classed as bottling it. Just another over used meme.

When City took over from Arsenal, Arsenal had only lost an amount of games that would normally pre-City have won the league, 5 and only drawn one game more. In the same way Liverpool didn't bottle any of their loses. The standard is just so very high. Sometimes you play your best and it's just not good enough or cannot be maintained week in week out with your squad.

Back
Top Bottom