UEFA Euro 2016 Group B ** spoilers** (England, Slovakia, Russia, Wales)

Soldato
You really think he'd come out and say 'We're all sick of the manager, his tactics are ****, his team selections are poor etc etc etc' when he's the current captain and in the squad?

If Wayne Rooney had a problem with the England manager Roy Hodgeson and wanted him gone, then Wayne Rooney would have kept his mouth shut and not have openly said "Let's keep Roy after Euro 2016".

But that didn't happen. Wayne Rooney has openly supported Roy Hodgeson, rather than keep his mouth shut and wait for Roy to get sacked.

Caporegime
If Wayne Rooney had a problem with the England manager Roy Hodgeson and wanted him gone, then Wayne Rooney would have kept his mouth shut and not have openly said "Let's keep Roy after Euro 2016".

But that didn't happen. Wayne Rooney has openly supported Roy Hodgeson, rather than keep his mouth shut and wait for Roy to get sacked.

lol.

Player in coming out in support of the manager shocker. I wouldn't look too much into that.

Soldato
lol.

Player in coming out in support of the manager shocker. He probably came out and supported Moyes before he got binned off.

Don't be so obtuse.

Players openly have spats with their managers and aren't afraid to air their feelings. For example:
Beckham vs Ferguson
Mata vs Mourinho
Loads others

The fact is Wayne Rooney has come out in support of Roy Hodgeson. And it's the facts we deal with. Not speculation.

So all of these arm chair MOTD experts who say "bin Roy" go against what the England captain is saying!

How are you going to try and argue against Wayne Rooney?

Soldato
Don't be so obtuse.

Players openly have spats with their managers and aren't afraid to air their feelings. For example:
Beckham vs Ferguson
Mata vs Mourinho
Loads others

The fact is Wayne Rooney has come out in support of Roy Hodgeson. And it's the facts we deal with. Not speculation.

So all of these arm chair MOTD experts who say "bin Roy" go against what the England captain is saying!

How are you going to try and argue against Wayne Rooney?

Why does anyone have to ? He doesn't answer for everybody.

Man of Honour
Thought Cahill was good yesterday, admittedly not up against much but he was winning a lot of headers, good interception in the box to cut out a pass squared to Hamsik (certain goal) etc.

Not massively impressed with the replacements in midfield, Henderson kept overhitting balls and Wilshere still keeps overrunning the ball at times, his first touch was going further than I can kick it.

Vardy at least looked threatening at times, remains to be seen what he will do against the big boys.

Overall I am still not certain what England's best team is, but nor do I think this is a squad worthy of progressing beyond the quarterfinals so it doesn't really matter.

Soldato
What a brilliant achievement for Wales.

I consider myself British rather than English, so I was hoping Wales did well (finishing 2nd behind England ideally) but they've exceeded what I thought possible. It was a fairy tale qualifying for the Euros (among other nations such as Iceland and Northern Ireland) but to progress as group winners and finishing the group on such a high with such great support... I wish England couldn't get close to that... Iceland and Northern Ireland still could too.

England... OK, so we played decent enough in all three games in terms of limiting threat against (below?) average teams, but we've offered so little ourselves, and Slovakia and Wales showed how poor Russia are. We were never going to do much at this tournament, but I was hoping for a bit more, especially with so many form players chosen and in theory some decent threat up front, but we aren't playing to their strengths - perhaps against stronger teams the games will open up and we'll be able to show a bit more, but Hodgson has to pick players on merit not in hope.

Still, I don't think any team has emerged as a team capable or winning the tournament yet, so we're not alone in being drab.

Last edited:
Soldato
What awful play. Haven't read anything previously posted here but I found the play style so static. Almost like Roy had told them to receive the ball, kill it, wait for a pass and if nothing comes up then pass sideways/back. I do like Dier and think he's good but he was the biggest culprit. I'd like to see his heat map as he was in the centre circle for 90% of the time and must have run 1km all game. Don't think he dribbled with the ball once despite having acres of space in front of him. It was like watching a cross between football and netball - no running with the ball!

Clyne, Wilshere, Sturridge and Alli when he eventually came on were the only people running at defenders. Bertrand was awful, hardly ever overlapped. He must have made 1/10th of the cross of Clyne.

So many people trying to strike from outside the box through 10 bodies as well.

However I have mixed feelings as I'm working on Saturday so wouldn't have been able to watch the next game had we topped the group :p.

Soldato
Thought Cahill was good yesterday, admittedly not up against much but he was winning a lot of headers, good interception in the box to cut out a pass squared to Hamsik (certain goal) etc.

Not massively impressed with the replacements in midfield, Henderson kept overhitting balls and Wilshere still keeps overrunning the ball at times, his first touch was going further than I can kick it.

Vardy at least looked threatening at times, remains to be seen what he will do against the big boys.

Overall I am still not certain what England's best team is, but nor do I think this is a squad worthy of progressing beyond the quarterfinals so it doesn't really matter.

Other then the ball that Henderson put through I can't remember Vardy doing anything ? Henderson did over hit balls, possibly trying too hard, but he also created England's best opportunities.

It depends on who we play in the next round but I would like to see Henderson in the midfield with Rooney and Dier personally.

Man of Honour
I fancy the big teams that have managed to score more than 3 goals so far, in open play.

There's only 3 teams in the tournament who have scored more than 3 goals period, never mind from open play:

1) Wales, who England have beaten already.
2) France, pre-tournament favourites
3) Spain, reigning champions.

Losing to France and Spain would be expected, and indeed Germany. Basically what it comes down to with England is they will be judged against the likes of Belgium, Italy or Portugal. The way the draw is shaping up it looks like there is a fair chance of them hitting France in the quarters which would be kind of par for the course.

Soldato
I find your support of Hodgson hilarious.

I also find it hilarious you're using Rooney, the current captain, as an example of why we should stick with the manager.

That made me chuckle.

My main gripe with Hodgson is his messing around with formations and first team the 3rd game into a major tournament.

He should have a clue by now. The time for experimenting is long past. It comes across like he hasn't got a clue to me.

I actually felt sorry for Wilshere last night...

He has had next to no match practice as it is and then has to play with players he has hardly played with before in a team that has players that have hardly played with each other before in a formation that gets changed every 5 minutes!!11. He was trying intricate passes with players that need to be on the same wavelength for intricate passing to be successful.

He had no chance!

rant over lol ;)

Soldato
There's only 3 teams in the tournament who have scored more than 3 goals period, never mind from open play:

1) Wales, who England have beaten already.
2) France, pre-tournament favourites
3) Spain, reigning champions.

Losing to France and Spain would be expected, and indeed Germany. Basically what it comes down to with England is they will be judged against the likes of Belgium, Italy or Portugal. The way the draw is shaping up it looks like there is a fair chance of them hitting France in the quarters which would be kind of par for the course.

looking at this another way - Portugal have always (for a good decade +) been (a lot ) worse than the sum of their parts, Italy dont score many but concede very few and belgium are just meh (as a team)

Also with all due respect Russia and Slovakia are pretty rubbish teams and any 1/2 decent side should be putting both to the sword with ease.

If England were as well organised as Italy that would be a huge compliment - but they are far short of that. I dont see England being compared to the other two teams as anything special. I would also fancy England (for instance) struggling badly against Iceland who for my money played fantastically against an average Portugal and maybe should have won if they had taken their chance (s?)

The reason (unfortunately) the EPL is so good is more to do with the young foreigners coming to play for clubs than any english talent we may (or not) have.

Soldato
He has had next to no match practice as it is and then has to play with players he has hardly played with before in a team that has players that have hardly played with each other before in a formation that gets changed every 5 minutes!!11. He was trying intricate passes with players that need to be on the same wavelength for intricate passing to be successful.

Wishere also needs to learn not to give the ball away every 2 minutes which helps

(dont get me wrong, he wasnt the only one - and he isnt soley responsible for the poor result, but the very nature of where he was playing made his every mistake very visible)

Associate
We haven't done anything in this tournament since 1996 and that was with home advantage. Is anyone really expecting us to go much further?? Time after time I have been disappointed in our tournament performances, remember world cup 2014.
We are an average team that is not capable of beating the likes of Gemany, Italy, Spain, France, Portugal in any finals that I have seen. I think that last big team we beat was Argentina 1-0 (Beckham penalty) in the group games in the WC 2002.

We have good players but not a good team, tactically I don't think we have a clue.

I hope they prove me wrong this time but I'm not holding my breath.

We haven't done anything in this tournament since 1996 and that was with home advantage. Is anyone really expecting us to go much further?? Time after time I have been disappointed in our tournament performances, remember world cup 2014.
We are an average team that is not capable of beating the likes of Gemany, Italy, Spain, France, Portugal in any finals that I have seen. I think that last big team we beat was Argentina 1-0 (Beckham penalty) in the group games in the WC 2002.

We have good players but not a good team, tactically I don't think we have a clue.

I hope they prove me wrong this time but I'm not holding my breath.

To be fair I don't think anyone has said we had a world calss team going into the Euro's. When the highlight of the tournament has been a win against Wales, a team that is out doing itself simply making it to the tournament (and to the the next stage), that really isn't an achievement in European football.

I would happily see England go home and be more than happy watching Wales play after that performance against Russia.

I can still remember the teams from the 90's/early 00's and we seemed to have more talent and more passion. We still won bugger all but at least you felt they were putting the effort in.

Back
Top Bottom