UEFA Euro 2016 - Round of 16 **spoilers** (25th - 27th June)

Soldato
This guy called it :-

Blah! Once again England will trounce ever team in their group and the big teams will falter through qualification just about slipping in at the last hurdle. The press will make England favourites to win Euro 2016. Then they'll get their asses handed to them once the actual tournament starts! Don't think Hodgson will make it in to World Cup qualification as manager.

August no less!

:D

Soldato
"I don't really know what I'm doing here."

Unbelievable. His statement last night was nowhere near sufficient.

Yeah can't believe his attitude: "I don't really know what I'm doing here - I'm no longer the England manager"

Just because you left your post doesn't mean you can get away with not talking to the media regarding the tournament. He's such a joke, good riddance!

Soldato
Players I have an issue with who played for England in this Euro:

Sturridge - In one of the pre-match interview pieces I think the BBC did he said something like "I don't care if the ball goes over the bar or wide or I lose the ball...." then went on to say something about he wants to do the best HE can for HIMSELF. Well that shows. I can't think of many more selfish players.

Kane - Embarrassing. Couldn't hit a barn door from 2 yards. Couldn't cross with accuracy. Over hit free kicks by 20-30 yards. Couldn't control the ball. Looked literally like a Sunday pub team player. A shame as he's a great guy, but I don't think he should have been played ahead of Vardy.

Sterling - Not much end product. Very disappointing.

Rooney - I can't knock the inclusion of him by Roy, but god was he bad. He never really got going. In the Iceland game he had an absolute shocker. First touch was like he was wearing flippers.

Joe Hart - Forster would have saved the Bale goal and the Iceland second arguably. I'm not sure why he is seen as the England number 1 when he's not reliable enough and makes mistakes in premier league games.

I think Barkley should have got a run out. Shame Ox Chamberlain was not fit for the tourno and Danny Welbeck I think would have been better than Kane and Sturridge, but he is equally selfish.

I wonder if we should have just played someone like Andy Carrol and just constantly hit air balls into the box. At least we might have scored more goals.

Caporegime
I swear they are living in a bubble where they think 'all was well' til last night. Im quite amazed how unaware they are...

@jaybee - probably quicker to say who played well, or who deserves a call up in the next squad. No one that doesnt seem to give 100% their club performance should be considered IMO

Im still amazed he brought over a squad which obviously didnt have the depth to maintain 433 - we had 1 winger FFS...

ps3ud0 :cool:

Last edited:
Caporegime
I still dont see whats wrong with playing 2 up front when you end up taking 5 STs with you, even if a couple of those like to move around a bit...

EDIT: Crap meant to edit last post...

Man of Honour
Yeah can't believe his attitude: "I don't really know what I'm doing here - I'm no longer the England manager"

Just because you left your post doesn't mean you can get away with not talking to the media regarding the tournament. He's such a joke, good riddance!

I do take some consolation from the fact that he will be remembered aptly for bombing out to Iceland instead of losing to a decent team. His lack of taking ownership for what is an epic failure on his part is revolting.

The problem started before we even kicked a ball in the Euro's. Roy picked the wrong squad, decided to pick players of reputation over form.

Which ment when plan A went down the drain, the back up plan was nonexistent.

At least he got what he deserved.

Still plenty of talent within the team for a good manager to utilise IMO - the inflexibility (and/or lack of backup plan) to change things up when it was obvious to even someone that knew nothing about football is what caused the problem.

Last edited:
Caporegime
Still plenty of talent within the team for a good manager to utilise IMO - the inflexibility (and/or lack of backup plan) to change things up when it was obvious to even someone that knew nothing about football is what caused the problem.

I'm starting to really question that.

A lot of English players have a bit of form that lasts a month or two - then the media decide they're "world class".

A couple months later they are back to being below average - as most English players are (why are there virtually NO English players playing abroad?) - and the bubble bursts.

There is no vast talent in the England team. It's a myth.

Caporegime
We've got some really good players we just don't have a really good team. Our lack of good creative players and wingers is quite crippling. We have a fair number of very good strike options at the moment but just not much to create for them.

Caporegime
(why are there virtually NO English players playing abroad?)

A few possible reasons.

1. We have a very strong league, top players will play at the top teams here. Even the lower teams pay well compared to other divisions in the world.

2. English people in general are far less open to living and working in other countries than the rest of Europe is, a lot of us don't speak more than one language for example.

The only situation where a top English player will leave England is to go to one of the other top teams like Beckham did. It's pretty rare.

Soldato
I swear they are living in a bubble where they think 'all was well' til last night. Im quite amazed how unaware they are...

@jaybee - probably quicker to say who played well, or who deserves a call up in the next squad. No one that doesnt seem to give 100% their club performance should be considered IMO

Im still amazed he brought over a squad which obviously didnt have the depth to maintain 433 - we had 1 winger FFS...

I'm glad that the illusion that Joe Hart is somehow a "world class keeper" has finally been shattered though.

Don
"I don't really know what I'm doing here."

Unbelievable. His statement last night was nowhere near sufficient.

Sums him up. His arrogance and refusal to accept any responsibility when things go wrong is staggering. He should have never got the job and no way should he have still been manager 3 tournaments later.

The only good thing that's come out of this tournament is that everybody can see just how much of a fraud he is.

Soldato
I think part of the problem is that we have neither a world class player or two (ala Kroos and Ozil for Germany or Bale for Wales), nor a great team ethic and atmosphere where they all play for each other (Wales, Poland, Iceland being examples in this tournament). You need one or the other to at least do reasonably well, and a team like Germany have both.

Soldato
I can't remember the last time England had a good creative player or a special talent who could change a game by themselves.

David Beckham was about as good as we've had as someone who created chances. Rooney in 2004 is about as special a player we've had.

*I've only watched England since 96.

England need to produce players like Mahrez, Hazard, Payet, Ozil.

Had high hopes for Dele Alli. Hopefully he can develop into a real playmaker for England.

Last edited:
Soldato
I can't remember the last time England had a good creative player or a special talent who could change a game by themselves.

David Beckham was about as good as we've had as someone who created chances. Rooney in 2004 is about as special a player we've had.

*I've only watched England since 96.

England need to produce players like Mahrez, Hazard, Payet, Ozil.

Had high hopes for Dele Alli. Hopefully he can develop into a real playmaker for England.

However much I hate to say it (slightly tongue in cheek) there were other examples like Gerrard and Lampard who were world class, but for whatever reason never really worked in the English set up (either together or apart)

Not suggesting either did it intentionally, they both put in a lot more effort than the majority in France did, but for one reason or another their club form never translated to the national team (even though on paper they were surrounded by "better" players).

Maybe its just a case of too much exposure for too long from the tv deals (and another national knock out comp every season on top of La Liga / Bundesliga etc) plus the fact the EPL is more physically draining than majority of other leagues - so after 50 games or so (given that a lot of knockout games will end up being EPL vs EPL) + european travel - especially the longer europa season , play more games to the final - its that much more draining.

Given that majority of the clubs and players are used to it - vs Leicester who are going to be doing it for the 1st time, it will be interesting if any of the players next summer say anything to do with this.

Back
Top Bottom