UEFA Euro 2016 - Round of 16 **spoilers** (25th - 27th June)

Soldato
Difference between being beaten by a better team and being beaten by better players. England had the best players on the pitch, Iceland had the best team and football being a Team sport the better team will often win despite lesser players.

I agree too. You could easily see Iceland had more passion for winning than us.

Still can't defend the likes of Rooney. Could not care if he had 500 caps. He's been consistently **** for England.

Last edited:
Caporegime
I was staggered he had the balls to haul Rooney off, but it was far, far too late. Rooney had a good group stage but he was terrible last night.

He nearly always is against a quality opposition.

I'm not saying Iceland are quality but they aren't the mugs we've been playing in qualifying and to a lesser extent the group stages, he just needs to retire from international football for the good of the team rather than have us accommodate him in midfield.

Joe Hart needs dropping as well, Forster probably has more Champions League experience and he doesn't fall apart in high pressure games like Hart does.

Last edited:
Caporegime
Don't get me wrong, I'm not sure Rashford should have been starting, but you're losing to Iceland. You need to start throwing a curve ball earlier than Hodgson did. Rashford was stripped and ready 10 minutes earlier. What were they doing in those 10 minutes?!

The one bright moment in the whole debacle for me was how well Rashford played in those few minutes. With any luck he can grow into the kind of star we can build a team around.

Kane was a huge disappointment all tournament. Vardy was better, but still didn't really deliver and wasn't given that much chance to. Sturridge I thought was decent, but stuck out of position he clearly wasn't comfortable. Walker and Rose were great going forwards but, and call me reactionary if you like, I like defenders to be picked for their ability to defend first-and-foremost. Hart was poor, we need a new keeper.

Associate
People who write Woy instead of Roy need a slap.

Keep it civil.

Says the guy who puts Stirling not Sterling.

Now that ROY has gone I think the FA need to take their time with the next appointment. I am almost of the belief we take a hiatus from International football. We need a complete rethink from the ground up. This team, has some talent without doubt, but until they have the correct mentality, the passion, the pride and the desire to win in an England shirt they should not even be considered.

Rooney did himself no favours yesterday. He looked knackered. Perhaps their leisurely stroll along the beach in the sun was not such a bright idea?

The spineless tawny **** though has should have took the responsbility in his interview yesterday. Saying he is leaving the job and the team did everything he asked of them should be setting off alarm bells in the FA. What exactly was he asking them to do? I never believed Roy was a manager who could lead OUR national team to glory. What has he done in his career? We need someone who is either proven or has the passion and pride of managing a country where results are expected.

Caporegime
The one bright moment in the whole debacle for me was how well Rashford played in those few minutes. With any luck he can grow into the kind of star we can build a team around.

Yes in the short time he was on it was a breathe of fresh air to see an English player show some attacking/dribbling intent, he may have lost the ball a few times taking on one too many but I'd much prefer a player to throw the dice than to play safe passes around midfield like we have done all tournament.

Soldato
I think the pressure got to Kane and he crumpled, hopefully the lad will pick himself up and be better for it. I agree Sturridge was wasted out wide but they didn't take any wide players anyway, Sterling continued to show that he was a one season wonder. I've never understood Rooney in midfield it seems that they just want him in the side not that he is the best player for the position. Dier, Alli, Wilshere (even if half fit) Milner, Drinkwater are all better midfielders than him. Also why the hell was Kane on set pieces?

Soldato
How good would the team be if you selected those that didnt go to france (like Shaw and Drinkwater for example), those that hardly played (if at all) / were used mainly in the wrong position (Rashford, Vardy, Sturridge)?

Reckon the performances at least would be one **** of a lot better than the awful attempts over the last few weeks. Some of its down to Woy, but undoubtedly a lot was also down to how terrible the players were, terrible passing, letting balls go under foot etc etc.

Soldato
English players are just average and overhyped. There is no world class English player and they earn way too much money because they have an English name.

It also doesn't help when you don't start Vardy and Sturridge until it's too late.

He got lucky against Wales because he had no other choice but to throw in a few extra forwards.

With a better manager England would have probably won but even still the players that played all looked clueless on the pitch and out of ideas.

Last edited:
Caporegime
Hart should have been dropped after the Wales game as well, Roy persisted with him even though he looked nervous and made multiple blunders. The FA must also have some kind of sponsorship with Head and Shoulders.

Soldato
We really need to get an OCUK meme going, who can photoshop me an Iceland shopping bag on a flag pole outside someone's home instead of an England one :p

Soldato
English players are just average and overhyped. There is no world class English player and they earn way too much money because they have an English name.
It also doesn't help when you don't start Vardy and Sturridge until it's too late.

He got lucky against Wales because he had no other choice but to throw in a few extra forwards.

With a better manager England would have probably won but even still the players that played all looked clueless on the pitch and out of ideas.

You don't need world class players to do reasonably well at international tournaments, hell you don't even have to have them to win (Greece, Denmark) but what you do need is a well organised side of hard working players world class or not! I didn't see Iceland's world class players? or those from Poland or even Italy?

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom