Poll: UEFA Euro 2020 Final Italy v England ** spoilers ** [Sunday 11th July 2021]

Shall we lock this thread for the 90 minutes the game is on?

• Yes

Votes: 94 43.1%
  • No

Votes: 124 56.9%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Caporegime
I'd argue Rashford's was actually a better penalty than Saka's despite being off target. He at least tried to put it out of the reach of the keeper. Saka's is at a comfortable height and nowhere near the post, those are saved nearly every time if the gk goes the right way. a few inches to the right and Rashford scores and we're all saying what a great pen it is, Saka's was pretty poor technique.

Permabanned
Rashfords penalty was sheer arrogance - and pride comes before a fall. He thinks because he got the Prime Minister to kowtow to him on school meals that he's something special. Well now he knows otherwise.

Just nonsense. He tried to shake up the keeper and hit it badly. Got nothing to do with pride. That's just a tactic.

Caporegime
I don't follow football outside of the internationals really. I had no expectations at the start of this tournament, I only began to think it could happen after Belgium.
Yet I've heard "it's coming home Ad nauseam so on that basis alone I'm glad its over!

I am being honest. I feel you should be as well.
Anyway, England have a younger squad I think so probably more future potential, I'm not really sure on up and coming Italian players as I dont watch club football.

How can you be honest when you do not watch club football? Player for player bar Donnarummer no one gets in the England starting eleven.

They are a brilliant team and managed better than England but not player for player. Unfortunately football is a team game and needs a decent manager to bring those players together tactically.

Everyone just got onto the hype train with Southgate and anyone who watches proper club football can see the glaring errors he made.

Soldato
Rashford's was just a complete joke penalty. Utter shambles. Did Southgate know he was going to do that?
Cue my old PE teacher. "just take a run up and whack it. Don't overthink it"

It was an enjoyable tournament, Italy were great to watch in most of there games. The bitter taste in my mouth is all from Southgate's negative approach to out matches. He could learn a lot from Mancini.
But he won't learn. That was almost a carbon copy of 2018 v croatia. "we learned a lot in Russia" he said before. Not the important stuff it would seem.

We should make him play some RTS games. Everyone starts out trying to build a big defensive base, but you only win in serious games by attacking hard, fast, and relentlessly. If you sit back they attack and attack and you battle to hold them off until they wear you out and base-rape ensues.

Soldato
An Italian-American friend and her son are in Amsterdam for a long weekend, she WhatsApped me about 15 minutes before the end of normal time, to say that due to Covid restrictions they couldn’t get into a bar or pub there to see the game.
I told her to relax, it was 1-1 and Italy were all over England like a rash.
She just WhatsApped to say that they went back to their hotel and watched extra time and the penalties in one of their rooms, then she apologised for Italy’s victory.
I said that it was okay, England are used to losing big games.

A Jean-F story is just like an England tournament run. It feels like something is building. We all start to believe. But then it just kinda ends in equal measures of confusion and disappointment.

Caporegime
Look back at all the penalty shootout failures in years gone by and who missed the pens back then. Pearce and Waddle in 1990, Southgate in 96, Ince & Batty in 98, Beckham and Vassell in 2004, Lampard, Gerrard and Carragher in 2006, Young and Cole in 2012. Every single one of them were experienced players

We can all sit here as experts and say he should have done x or y but there's very little evidence to support any theory. You've had the most experienced players & the most technically gifted (and regular penalty takers) missing pens.

Me and you could step up and strike a penalty well enough to score at that level. We couldn't do in 10 times out of 10 though. Surely you can see that certain players are better, cleaner strikers of the ball than others.

How often have you seen players like KdB, Xabi Alonso, Scholes, Gerrard etc scuff shots compared to somebody like a Sterling or a Mane. Sterling's ball striking ability really is bottom tier (for players of this level at least), which makes how good he is incredible.

What im saying is, is that the miniscule difference in ball striking ability at that level isn't as important as experience/psychology (ie doing well under pressure).

They will all have superb technique at actually kicking a dead ball.

Soldato
Rahsford's, Saka's, they were **** pens. Especially under the circumstances. Both entirely down to Southgate's weird pen phobia.

You don't ask kids to do men's jobs.

Caporegime
The way Chellini totally dismantled Sterling in ET made me get up and clap. Italy were just managed to a better level.
Sterling often dismantles himself.

I know he's scored a few this time, but it's not unusual for Sterling to just run straight into a crowd and lose the ball. He does it regularly against all opposition.

Soldato
How can you be honest when you do not watch club football? Player for player bar Donnarummer no one gets in the England starting eleven.

They are a brilliant team and managed better than England but not player for player. Unfortunately football is a team game and needs a decent manager to bring those players together tactically.
This.

Plus many won't make best 11 players in seria A as someone tried to mock this England side

Caporegime

What?

Chiesa ran rings around us for start, and I would have him over Sterling any day of the week.

There are many more Italian players I'd take over some in our England squad too.

Soldato
Given that crowd and the ball change since they played a game - Rashford and Sancho needed more time than 2 minutes at the end of the final to get used to the atmosphere and game - dont think Stirling did much all game (apart from giving away a few free kicks), Mount was invisible and I also think Saka was wrong call completely - Jack should have come on much sooner.

Just one of those things, Italy got away with a lot during the game but they deserved it just about - We gave it away after half time which was blatantly obvious what was happening for 10-15 minutes before they scored. Really bad game management 2nd half and during ET

Soldato
what? We had every answer to your attacks in the first half, then god knows what happens in the second half and we just sat there, I’ve never said we were the better team over the whole game or we deserved a win, but negative tactics ruined the game for us and I have no idea why Gareth went that route when we could’ve really pushed on and made it difficult for Italy again in the second half, it was clear as day what was happening yet he couldn’t see it and you got back into the game.

i think it’s you who are blind to the game that happened and are a little high on success.

can I ask why you think I was being snobby?

Oh I didn't mean you specifically, it's a general theme I've noticed. Like Gary said in the studio, team of the tournament. Despite that some in here really can't accept it.
I'm not high on success, I expected to win, I just didn't expect Italy to make it so difficult.
Anyway, glad it's over, back to reality.

Soldato
Rashford pens stank, just ******* hit it! Sancho and Saka, I was screwing at the time as they were both scared which is whey you hit it side foot like that but why were they taking a pen in the first 5? Where was Sterling? I'd rather see Shaw hit a pen than Saka, he's just a kid. Doesn't Grealish take pens? WTF Southgate.

Oh and I was so pleased to see Jorginho miss, that penalty style is trash, trying to be way to clever and finally a keeper stood firm and saved it. He shouldn't have been on the pitch, that was a red card challenge on Grealish.

Soldato
Anyone who thinks Saka, Rashford or Sancho's penalty were even halfway decent need their heads checked. One literally missed the target and the other two were as saveable as pens get.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom