Poll: UEFA Euro 2020 Final Italy v England ** spoilers ** [Sunday 11th July 2021]

Shall we lock this thread for the 90 minutes the game is on?

• Yes

Votes: 94 43.1%
  • No

Votes: 124 56.9%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Please in 2002 world cup we lost to Brazil, 2004 Portugal on penalties, 2006 Portugal on penalties. Plus we played proper tough teams in our group games. Yes we lost but not because we were bad but because we had red cards or injuries to players like prime Rooney.

Both in 18 and today we have lost to big teams at the first hurdle and only beaten small countries getting super easy draws.

Euro 96 we beat Holland and Spain and narrowly missed out on the Semi to Germany on penalties despite playing the better game over 90 minutes and we scored all 5 of the first! If only Gazza had worn bigger boots!

Tonight pretty much since half time it was totally one way traffic from Italy due to a proper manager Mancini reacting and sorting us out. Gareth was just going through his Btec play book on what to do. No clue what so ever.

Italian players do not even compare to the squad England have yet a proper manager got the best out of them.

True they are far above. You can only dream.

I wouldn't believe it. Mostly it's just hyperbole.

If you are playing football at this level, in any position, you can strike the ball cleanly and take a decent penalty.
Relatively to you and me? Yes but there's massively varying degrees of ball striking ability among top class players and Sterling is at the bottom of that list. Players scuff shots regularly and certain players far more often than others.

This is actually the first time we've fallen at the last hurdle!

As usual we've fallen at the first difficult hurdle.

This team is no better than previous teams. At least previous teams played with some flair and looked like they could beat top teams on a good day. England in 2010 against Germany actually came back against a brilliant side. England in 1998 looked like winning. Went toe to toe against Portugal twice.

Southgate's teams grind out results even against weak teams. What would they have done against going down 1 or 2 goals? This result was no better than when england lost to the Italy side containing Pirlo. A much better Italy imo.

Please in 2002 world cup we lost to Brazil, 2004 Portugal on penalties, 2006 Portugal on penalties. Plus we played proper tough teams in our group games. Yes we lost but not because we were bad but because we had red cards or injuries to players like prime Rooney.

Both in 18 and today we have lost to big teams at the first hurdle and only beaten small countries getting super easy draws.

Euro 96 we beat Holland and Spain and narrowly missed out on the Semi to Germany on penalties despite playing the better game over 90 minutes and we scored all 5 of the first! If only Gazza had worn bigger boots!

Tonight pretty much since half time it was totally one way traffic from Italy due to a proper manager Mancini reacting and sorting us out. Gareth was just going through his Btec play book on what to do. No clue what so ever.

Italian players do not even compare to the squad England have yet a proper manager got the best out of them.
Totally agree, well said!

Don't believe that at all in afraid. In a game like this even the most experienced players must feel like it's their first penalty. That's disregarding the fact that no one puts more pressure and criticism on an international squad then we do.

I agree about the physcology of it. But these players at this level can all kick the ball in the net from the penalty spot.

Which is why having the last three players all young and fairly inexperienced doing it was stupid.

Did the players choose or did Southgate select the penalty takers in advance? Because it looks like it was the latter to me with him bringing Rashford and Sancho on in the final minutes of extra time.

Sounds as if the subs were made with pens in mind. The takers chosen over the past few days by analysis (recent misses/scores etc)

Southgate must also know that when you bring players on to take penalties the pressure on them is massively ramped up.

If he doesn't know that, he's a complete moron.

If you're brought on to take a pen then you *must* score.

It's one of the stupidest ways to use a substitute imaginable. I guess that's why you didn't see any other team using that particular tactical masterstroke.

This. I don’t trust you to win the game before penalties but I’ll happily let you take the fall with penalties. Hopefully Sancho puts that behind him and has an amazing career at United

Italian yes (live in england), and if people could see the game for what it was I wouldn't be making sarcy comments.

I was happy the final was both team but I don't get where this snobbery comes from from some england fans. There is nothing to back it up at all.
Football has become a quasi religion here. It attracts the same arrogance and blinkerd devotion to some akin to a deep south nut-job "church" or foaming-at-the-mouth rabid zealots in some cult or other. At the heart is an unwavering devotion to the club and then the national side (usually in that order it would seem) and complete inability to step back and see things in the round.

Italy were the better side tonight - cheating cynical fouls aside. The ref was unreasonably lenient in the 2nd half, when the trend was set, but we could and should have played a different system 2nd half and instead we went to sleep. We'll never know if a different system would have done the job, but there is no excuse for the lacklustre 30 mins which gave Italy the ascendency and lead to their goal. Even the commentators on both channels (I was switching between the two) were saying the same - England have gone to sleep here, they look leggy and a yard off the pace" etc etc. I imagine it was the occasaion, the "we;re almost there" thoughts creeping in and then a feeling of "wtf, what's going on? panic! panic!"

You won't either.

Name the premier league's top 11 players you would be lucky if 3 of them are English.

Whereas name the same any other major league and at least half are native.

Only 4 of the players in Serie A's team of the season play in this Italy team. 3 players in the PL's team of the season play for the England team.

The French XI that won the 2018 world cup had 1 player who plays in the French league.

Top PL players being English has never been an issue for the national team.

Relatively to you and me? Yes but there's massively varying degrees of ball striking ability among top class players and Sterling is at the bottom of that list. Players scuff shots regularly and certain players far more often than others.

I disagree. They can all strike a ball from the penalty spot well enough at their level technique wise. If they can't, they shouldn't be anywhere near the team.

It's all mostly psychological at this level.

Tactically Southgate got found out this time, was very similar to the Croatia game at the World Cup where we tried to defend a 1-0 lead especially in the second half. When you look at the players we have in the squad we should atleast we good for 50-50 possession but instead we played like burnley for most of the game and just lumped it up the field.

Only 4 of the players in Serie A's team of the season play in this Italy team. 3 players in the PL's team of the season play for the England team.

The French XI that won the 2018 world cup had 1 player who plays in the French league.

Top PL players being English has never been an issue for the national team.

I wouldn't call the French league a major league. Which is why their players play elsewhere.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom